Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

One Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM
katinkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Question!

So.. 2008 Nissan 350z with 78k miles.... so...

sometimes my exhaust sounds normal.... Greddy Spectum elite axleback....

ok.....

so every couple of weeks... I hear a different sound coming from the exhaust... it is just slightly more gargled.... I dont hear it 9/out of 10 times... about every 2 weeks for a day I hear a different exhaust note... slightly more raspy if you will... what causes this as i think i have maybe something wrong.. but its so sporatic so not sure....??? any help is greatly appreciated!!

has anyone else experiences this? as there is no loss in power just simply sounds slightly different when increasing rpms....
Old 07-15-2017, 06:54 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by katinkid
So.. 2008 Nissan 350z with 78k miles.... so...

sometimes my exhaust sounds normal.... Greddy Spectum elite axleback....

ok.....

so every couple of weeks... I hear a different sound coming from the exhaust... it is just slightly more gargled.... I dont hear it 9/out of 10 times... about every 2 weeks for a day I hear a different exhaust note... slightly more raspy if you will... what causes this as i think i have maybe something wrong.. but its so sporatic so not sure....??? any help is greatly appreciated!!

has anyone else experiences this? as there is no loss in power just simply sounds slightly different when increasing rpms....
Exhaust leak or is that too easy?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:58 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Could be condensation build-up in the exhaust system. Could be a banana in the tailpipe.

The following 3 users liked this post by zakmartin:
Atreyu'z 350 (07-19-2017), carbuffguy (07-18-2017), jhc (07-23-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

That's almost impossible for us to determine without a sound clip...
Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 PM
katinkid

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Exhaust leak or is that too easy?
too easy... if it was a leak in the exhaust i would assume it would be the same sound every time I start the car or drive... maybe getting more raspy and loosing power as the leak gets bigger.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM
katinkid

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Could be condensation build-up in the exhaust system. Could be a banana in the tailpipe.

ROTFLMAO banana in the tailpipe haha. condensation maybe! i have only heard it after I start it up most of the time in the afternoon after work driving home... but it is so sporatic... i cant pinpoint any cause.

i live in southern california... so humidity is mild... just not sure what is causing this. no clue actually.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:24 PM
katinkid

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
That's almost impossible for us to determine without a sound clip...
I would love to get a soundclip... but it is so random that this happens and im normally by myself...

i suppose i can take a sound vid out the window when im driving to create the same circumstance as when i hear it alone driving...

then can create the same "hold your phone out the window soundclip" when it actually occurs... it could be days or weeks before it happens again...

its so random... thats why i dont think its a leak at all.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I would love to get a soundclip... but it is so random that this happens and im normally by myself...

i suppose i can take a sound vid out the window when im driving to create the same circumstance as when i hear it alone driving...

then can create the same "hold your phone out the window soundclip" when it actually occurs... it could be days or weeks before it happens again...

Exhaust notes are hard to diagnose. If it were mine, I wouldn't bother with a YouTube. If you can, get under the car (when cooled) and look for white/gray powder at every joint/tube crack. If you can r/o that, you can move on to the next step.
gl!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:11 PM
katinkid

Originally Posted by jhc
Exhaust notes are hard to diagnose. If it were mine, I wouldn't bother with a YouTube. If you can, get under the car (when cooled) and look for white/gray powder at every joint/tube crack. If you can r/o that, you can move on to the next step.
gl!
honestly im thinking its just condensation for whatever reason...
Old 07-23-2017, 08:55 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

honestly im thinking its just condensation for whatever reason...
I hope you get it sorted, my friend!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

I gotcha'. Yeah, when/if you hear it, try to get a sound clip.. It could just be your ECM pulling/advancing timing or adjusting your A/F ratio in response to temperature, load, fuel octane, or altitude.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Some mufflers have weep holes on them to keep the insides from rusting out. When the car's cold, check along the lower rims of your muffler(s) to see if you can find one. If so, check the hole with a toothpick to see if it's clogged. If it is, you're getting condensation build-up that's going to get spit out of the pipe every once in a while and your muffler will eventually need replacement. If you don't mind the sound, it's not that big a deal unless backpressure becomes an issue. Of course, people in the cars behind you will get to see your tailpipe spit liquid like a pissed-off llama. For some reason, I see Chrysler vehicles doing this all the time.