Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please help, my 350z keeps wanting to die when the radiator fans come on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 PM
simplydrift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, my 350z keeps wanting to die when the radiator fans come on.

So, I've had this problem for around 6 months now and it keeps getting progressively worse. When my radiator fans come on my car will just shut off, or the rpms will flutter in between 200-650 and sometimes it won't die, and sometimes it will. I've replaced the fan motors, new oem maf, new alternator, cleaned the throttle body, new plugs, new ac compressor(thinking the clutch might've started to seize and slowed the belt down when the fans and ac are on), and checked multiple times with different code readers with no luck (no codes, no code history, and no pending codes). Any help would be deeply appreciated. Btw, I have an 05 base package with a VQ35DE and manual trans. I have an intake, and an exhaust. Pretty much stock. I can't think of what it might be, a friend told me I need a tune but I can't fathom a z with only an intake and exhaust needing a tune. Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Bring it to a reputable shop to troubleshoot and diagnose the car, compression test, etc...

Running an intake and exhaust means more airflow which means you are running leaner than normal. A Tune is always necessary to make sure your vehicle is running optimally and safely, running a car lean as !#£& at wide open throttle for a long period of time is just asking for knock and detonation to ruin your motor.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by simplydrift
cleaned the throttle body
This. Bad. Do a search on everything that's gone wrong when people try this on a Z.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 AM
simplydrift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't mess anything up, I had the problem prior to cleaning the tb. And I see z's all the time with simple intake+exhaust without ever tuning with no issues, I just got a number of a guy that does diagnostics, so I think I'm gonna have him troubleshoot it for me and if he can't find anything ill get it tuned. I just can't believe I need a tune with such little modification.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Let us know how the diagnostic goes. Hopefully, it's a simple fix. I highly doubt you need a tune for the mods either. Depending on your mileage though, it might be time for a tune-UP. If you're having load issues, make sure all your grounds get checked.

Last edited by zakmartin; 07-20-2017 at 03:25 PM.