Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Cooling fans - Spal upgrade, only Mishimoto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Wet feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling fans - Spal upgrade, only Mishimoto?

Hi, I've had the Z a few months, it's a 2004 but only 15k miles. So I was surprised last week but apparently I got lucky with the notorious clutch drop and engine overheating in a traffic jam. I've since had the clutch fluid changed out to the racing type, and will order the Zspeed SS insulated line. As for the motor, we noticed the fans were barely turning, hence the question. I've researched and read for hours and can't find someone who has done a simple swap to two improved fans in the stock shrouding, but a lot of mentioning of the Mishimoto fan and shroud set up. Some mention the Mishimoto not being adequate in hot climates, and I'm in a very hot, tropical area.

Does anyone know of a simple drop in, better than OEM fan such as a Spal for example? I use 2 of those on my off roader and they're great. The Mishimoto is kind of a big item to ship to where I live (CR), but would consider it if I really knew it would work. Don't like to do things twice. What has everyone done over the years, just replace with OEM?

I've seen the OEM fan motor cleaning vids, an option, or two new replacements, but I'd prefer an improvement. Not planning on FI for now. Going to do the Royal Purple coolant/water too. I've read it's not necessary to upgrade the radiator.

Thanks for any help
Old 08-02-2017, 01:09 PM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

The stock fan shroud is very effective.....much more so than the Mishi one. Trouble is OEM fans are damn expensive.

The Spals have a good rep but will not come close to fitting in stock shroud. Not only do you have to use a less effective, IMO, shroud but then deal with wiring.

Since no one else has chimed in.....just thought I'd add what I could.

Maybe clean the ones you have, if you still have overheating issues my vote would be for OEM replacements.

good luck
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You could try getting some from a parted out Z. dboyzalter has been ripping apart a parts car over the last couple of weeks. Shoot him a private message to see if he has some fan motors to sell. Not sure if he'll be interested since you're brand new to the boards and live overseas, but it's worth a shot.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Wet feet

Ok, that's great info, just what I needed to make a decision. I found some TYC brand replacement motors on Amazon with positive reviews from other Z owners, so next month when I'm back in Colo I'll pick them up. I believe that will solve those issues.

Thank you for your responses
Old 08-18-2021, 09:56 AM
hartland14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet feet
Ok, that's great info, just what I needed to make a decision. I found some TYC brand replacement motors on Amazon with positive reviews from other Z owners, so next month when I'm back in Colo I'll pick them up. I believe that will solve those issues.

Thank you for your responses
What did you end up going with?
Old 08-18-2021, 04:24 PM
Wet feet

Originally Posted by hartland14
What did you end up going with?
I did buy the TYC motor replacements and have since done some track days and auto cross with zero problems. In the end the stock ones were going out and causing problems.