Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Pedal Commander

Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Pedal Commander

https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Commander-throttle-response-controller/dp/B00O833OZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506145640&sr=8-1&keywords=pedal+commander+nissan https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Commander-throttle-response-controller/dp/B00O833OZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506145640&sr=8-1&keywords=pedal+commander+nissan

In my defense, I did search the site and couldn't find anything recent regarding this specific product - So I'm hoping for opinions. Obviously it doesn't increase hp, but I can see how reducing or removing the delay inherent in drive-by-wire throttle response could be interesting.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Holy cow- I can't think of a less useful product than this. Functions by increasing or delaying the ECM signal for throttle response. Much of it (like Eco mode) you can do the same by using your right foot. Better buy would be a book on high performance driving and reprogramming the nut behind the wheel!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 AM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

lol 2nd the "Holy cow"
Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 PM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Skip that and get an Uprev tune.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Do not trust someone with no grasp of the English language:

"Tuck cables in place so they do not effect or endanger your driving."

If you don't see the mistake here, move on to the next message about the turbo whistle installed on your exhaust pipe. It was made for you.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:04 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Do not trust someone with no grasp of the English language:

"Tuck cables in place so they do not effect or endanger your driving."

If you don't see the mistake here, move on to the next message about the turbo whistle installed on your exhaust pipe. It was made for you.

lol.. I've also learned not to trust most people that speak English either.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 AM
sauer420

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks similar to the Sprint Booster that Z1 sold a while back. There was a thread on it debating its purpose (or lack thereof): https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...r-testers.html.

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim View Post
"There is no point in this. All this unit does is increase the amount of throttle the computer sees. So if you press 10% this unit will tell the computer its 20% so you feel more power from the same amount of throttle modulation. There will be no difference in HP or 1/4 mile time because 100% on your gas pedal is 100%, the unit doesn't do anything additional at that point. You can't press the throttle to 110% so to speak, WOT is WOT. The exact same can be reproduced by just pushing the gas pedal down farther and is free ... These items are kind of snake oil now..."
Old 04-01-2018, 03:34 AM
Mags

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed a Pedal Commander on my 2006 350Z and I'll tell you what - it's never coming off. Every car with a drive-by-wire throttle should have one. It's amazing how much the different settings (36 to choose from) change the personality of the car. I'm running now with the Sport 2 setting and the car just growls and rushes forward like a big V8 off the line...really!

I know the argument...just press harder on the pedal...but this is the real deal. The way it changes the throttle response completely eliminates any lag or softness, it's like my foot is directly connected to the engine.

I have a 5AT with Transgo kit, 3.7:1 rear, urethane diff mounts and paddle shifters, just to be complete. The PC lets me dial in just the right throttle response for that setup, and brings a sinister grin to my face. ;-)

PS: Sport+ mode is insanely responsive and definitely not recommended for the street. I could see someone driving through their garage wall on Sport+. If you get a PC don't start off on that setting.

Last edited by Mags; 04-01-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:39 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mags
The way it changes the throttle response completely eliminates any lag or softness, it's like my foot is directly connected to the engine.
My $.02 - I feel Nissan has some of most aggressive throttle mapping around. If you even think of pushing down on the pedal the car takes off. My wife's Infiniti is crazy in this regard. On the opposite end of the scale is Benz, seems you need to apply a sledge hammer to the gas pedal to get any engine response.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:14 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

I just installed a Pedal Commander on my 2006 350Z and I'll tell you what - it's never coming off. Every car with a drive-by-wire throttle should have one. It's amazing how much the different settings (36 to choose from) change the personality of the car. I'm running now with the Sport 2 setting and the car just growls and rushes forward like a big V8 off the line...really!

I know the argument...just press harder on the pedal...but this is the real deal. The way it changes the throttle response completely eliminates any lag or softness, it's like my foot is directly connected to the engine.

I have a 5AT with Transgo kit, 3.7:1 rear, urethane diff mounts and paddle shifters, just to be complete. The PC lets me dial in just the right throttle response for that setup, and brings a sinister grin to my face. ;-)

PS: Sport+ mode is insanely responsive and definitely not recommended for the street. I could see someone driving through their garage wall on Sport+. If you get a PC don't start off on that setting.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Mags

One more thing. We were hit with a Spring snowstorm today in NJ (about 5" so far), so I switched into Eco mode, which slows down the throttle response to be less than stock. It turns out this is a nice way to make the Z handle better in the snow - I made it 35 miles to work without any significant fishtails or wheel spinning.

All in all I'm quite happy with the ability to adjust my car to fit my moods and the driving conditions. A big thumbs up to the Pedal Commander!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Mags

Originally Posted by JMII
My $.02 - I feel Nissan has some of most aggressive throttle mapping around. If you even think of pushing down on the pedal the car takes off. My wife's Infiniti is crazy in this regard. On the opposite end of the scale is Benz, seems you need to apply a sledge hammer to the gas pedal to get any engine response.
My wife's Audi S5 is much like you describe Benz. Takes time to spool up the turbo. I keep telling her she needs to try a Pedal Commander.

Even though the 350Z isn't that bad, once I tried the PC on Sport mode I realized how much more agressive it could be. Sport+ is really fun but a bit much for the street - too easy to run up the back of a slower car. The ability to adjust things to my mood at the moment is what hooked me, YMMV.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

My wife's Audi S5 is much like you describe Benz. Takes time to spool up the turbo.
This isn't a spooling problem, I've owned several turbos before so I know what that is like. That is an acceleration issues. What I am talking about is a pedal pressure / sensitivity issue: you push down 25% but only get like 15% response. I guess you would get accustom to it, but during the test drive it drove me nuts. As mentioned the Infiniti (and most Nissan's I've driven) are the opposite, the throttle tip-in point seems very aggressive. Just touching the gas pedal cause plenty of revs right away.

Search this Thread