Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tie rod recommendations?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:01 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tie rod recommendations?

Hey gang,

Need to replace my outer tie rods...car is over 110k, lowered on SWIFT Spec R's.

I'm a daily driver that likes a good road like all of us, but never track the car or push it to any handling limit by any means.

Wondering which tie rods to go with?

Found the Phase Two tie rods that can reduce bump steer, but do they make the ride more harsh? Should I just stick to oem?

Do inner tie rods need to be replaced at same time as outer? I hear conflicting reports but trust some of the people who reply here (Terrasmak, MicVilo, among other veterans) so would love their thoughts?

I know I'll need a new alignment after the install, and I plan on doing this myself with the help of a professional mechanic, but any input or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys sincerely,

Saved

Oh...here's the Phase Two tie rods I'm interested in....

https://www.phase2motortrend.com/pro...otrn350-hc.htm

Annndd......the Phase Two allows for lowering the turning radius if you use their inner tie rod....apparently a locking nut is held tight by red thread lock....is that safe and is the increase worth the effort of replacing the inner tie rod? I run 20mm spacers by the way if that helps to know in giving advice or answers to my questions about changing the turning radius. I don't drift...but I like the idea of tighter u-turns for smaller roads.

Last edited by savedbygrace; 10-15-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 PM
savedbygrace

come on smart people smarter than me....I need your brain
Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Since you are daily...it depends on how long you want the new ones to last. Keeping the car for another 50k miles or more? Get OEM. If the possibility of having to do them again in 20-30k mi (maybe even less if you get unlucky) is ok with you, then consider aftermarket.

Furthermore I would avoid spherical joints since you are daily.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:15 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Inspect the play in the inner tie rods when you are doing the work, only way to be sure if you should replace. Not ideal but the only way to know for sure. They usually last much longer than the outers, but can depend on conditions, salty, etc.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Since you are daily...it depends on how long you want the new ones to last. Keeping the car for another 50k miles or more? Get OEM. If the possibility of having to do them again in 20-30k mi (maybe even less if you get unlucky) is ok with you, then consider aftermarket.

Furthermore I would avoid spherical joints since you are daily.
^^^ I'm with guitman. My philosophy on the 350Z is that there really isn't any reason to go non-OEM unless you have a specific need addressed, e.g. reduce understeer through modifying alignment, roll stiffness - and the components needed for that are not supported stock - FUCA, adjustable camber arms, adjustable sway bars.

I don't know for sure but I suspect there might be problems with alignment geometry changing tie rods, ends, etc. (I know there's issues with earlier Z cars when you do things like changing to shorter steering arms, etc.)

Such problems on the Z33 *COULD BE* the inability to align properly with stock control arms and/or creating inner tire clearance problems. Again, I don't know this for sure but I imagine anyone with a car specific for drift could tell you if this is true.

For a street car, I just can't imagine making modifications to the steering angles if you have to modify fender liners for clearance or necessitate adding adjustable UCAs just for the 1-1.5' shorter turning radius. (I would welcome this on my previous Volvo S60R that had a turning circle about the size of the Queen Mary but NOT on my Z. Have never had a problem with it.)

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-17-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Well the stock joints are a metal to metal design, there will be no difference in harshness. But the ones for track use do not have dust boots and will wear faster with street use.

Stay stock, unless it’s a track car.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks you guys, very much.

I'll stay stock then...just for learning then....what does the all metal outer tie rod give to the car or driver?

I do like the idea of reduced bump steer, but I'll take the advice given and stay oem...although for whatever it's worth I do plan on adding an adjustable sway bar down the road, front and rear, but at leasts the front as a buddy with a Z has gone stage 2 clutch and an adjustable front sway and he swears by the improvements...I recently went stage 2 clutch as well and there's definitely a nice difference in feel...love it...so I'm inclined to try the sway bar as well, second notch is what I think he uses on a hotchkiss setup if I'm not mistaken...anyway...thanks again....I'll go do my shopping and try to get them installed this month.

Would replacing the inner tie rod do anything to change the steering feel by any chance? I did go to a urethane rack and pinion bushing and felt the difference in precision feel...love it....now I'd love to upscale the steering a notch again if possible....was wondering if inner tie rods being replaced would do anything since any slop in the assembly would change steering a little bit I'd imagine? Learning as I go here..bear with me...and thanks sincerely for the help...really appreciate the input and info.

Search this Thread