Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tip to remove crankshaft pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 AM
chrisz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip to remove crankshaft pulley bolt

The pictures are kind of self explanatory , but some $10 straps from Harbor freight and a breaker bar got this thing right off. I would imagine if I had someone put the car in gear , and hold on the brake , it would’ve had the same effect . But if your clutch is **** , and in my case , your front is lifted and Your ebrake is **** , this is a really good method to try imo.
it worked for me , any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I remember replacing the timing chain and gears on my old Pontiac by taking the flat edge end of a lug wrench and jamming it between the flywheel teeth and housing to get that thing off...

I can't imagine how straps could possibly be a worse idea than potentially chipping a flywheel tooth.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:32 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Not a bad idea if the front of the car is taken apart... I did a similar strapping method with mine, but yours looks to be a better idea.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:34 AM
chrisz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Not a bad idea if the front of the car is taken apart... I did a similar strapping method with mine, but yours looks to be a better idea.
Thanks man . I feel like it wouldn’t be too much harder to do with the front bumper and everything still on though. But maybe you’re right actually , because of the headlight covering the frame on the side. Back to the drawing board lol
Old 10-21-2017, 06:31 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

You could do the same thing just go below to the sway bar, I wasnt smart enough to go through the hole in the pulley, I just left the belt on and went around it with the strap. Your way is deff better.