Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New owner, clutch and ac belt tension problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:36 PM
creativename

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, clutch and ac belt tension problem

Hello everyone. Just scooped up a 06 manual 350z for cheap from Arkansas. This car was an absolute wreck when I bought it (literally) and I rebuilt it with an 03 parts car I had laying around. It had a nice wrap, but it started peeling so i began taking it off. The white is a really nice color too on these cars. Runs nice and everything, but it has a couple of issues. First of all, I cannot for the life of me get the ac belt tight enough. It runs out of adjustment. It still charges the battery but it has a horrible squeal on startup. Also seems like it is a little loose. Belt is a brand new Gates belt. I also had to replace the power steering pump since the pulley was bent in the wreck. Maybe the parts store gave me the wrong belt and it just a little too big? The other issue is with the clutch grabbing weird. Maybe it is something I just have to get use to, but it is nothing like the clutch on my S60 R. It starts to grab half way after starting to release the clutch, but it does not fully grab until it is all the way out. I did the adjustment on the back of the pedal but it still does the grab towards the top. So the car jerks on take off in 1st gear and also uphill take off can be a little bit of a puckerfest. It's like learning to drive manual all over again. I also noticed that the clutch fluid has a milky look to it. Kind of looks like milky caramel, but it is at the right level.

Last edited by creativename; 11-18-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:21 PM
creativename

Anyone have any ideas on the clutch issue? That is the thing I am more worried about at the moment.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:06 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,266 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Flush the clutch fluid. Sounds like it's contaminated with water. Also, is it possible an accessory bracket got bent in the accident? Maybe that's why the belt is loose. If the P/S pump got hit hard enough to damage the pulley, it may have bent the bracket too.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:34 AM
creativename

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Flush the clutch fluid. Sounds like it's contaminated with water. Also, is it possible an accessory bracket got bent in the accident? Maybe that's why the belt is loose. If the P/S pump got hit hard enough to damage the pulley, it may have bent the bracket too.
Would contaminated clutch fluid be part of the problem with the clutch engagement points?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,266 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Yes.