Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Just got my third Z on Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 AM
ninevoltz

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just got my third Z on Friday!

My first Z was a 1984 300ZX turbo, my second is my 2003 350Z touring, and now I have a 2014 370Z touring with sport package, heated leather seats, and navigation, fully loaded.

Anyway, my insurance with State Farm almost doubled from the 350Z. I'm 43, have my house, my other Z, and my wife's car on the policy. No accidents or tickets ever. Went from $269.42 to $473.38.

This 370 is absolutely AWESOME though. It's got the Persimmon orange interior which goes great with the black paint. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no digital speedometer and no oil pressure gauge.
Attached Thumbnails Just got my third Z on Friday!-wp_20171209_002.jpg   Just got my third Z on Friday!-one-family-owner-nissan-300zx-turbo-1.jpg  

Last edited by ninevoltz; 12-11-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added photo of the '84
The following 3 users liked this post by ninevoltz:
Atreyu'z 350 (12-12-2017), BigBlue (12-11-2017), zakmartin (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

She's a beauty! Congrats on picking up that 370!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM
ninevoltz

Thanks! I flew out to St Louis on Friday and drove it home seven hours. Got sick as hell from the exhaustion. Had a fever of 100 on Saturday. Haven't really gotten to enjoy it yet.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 AM
ninevoltz

The interior:
Attached Thumbnails Just got my third Z on Friday!-wp_20171211_005.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jhc (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Wow! Damn, you and MicVelo should get together and start a bowling team! The first time I saw the 1984 300ZX turbo was outside the Navy Club on Yongsan Garrison in Seoul, Korea. There was a crowd around it. I still think those are sexy as all hell.

Have fun with the 370! All nice rides and all head-turners.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:15 AM
ninevoltz

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Wow! Damn, you and MicVelo should get together and start a bowling team! The first time I saw the 1984 300ZX turbo was outside the Navy Club on Yongsan Garrison in Seoul, Korea. There was a crowd around it. I still think those are sexy as all hell.

Have fun with the 370! All nice rides and all head-turners.
I sadly don't still have the '84. I had to sell it around 2004, a couple of the exhaust manifold bolts snapped off in the heads from rust and heat cycles. I wasn't about to pay to fix it. I inherited my mother-in-law's '98 Firebird when she passed around the same time. Drove that until I got my 350Z in 2011. I bought the '84 Z from a P-3C pilot in Hawaii while I was in the Navy there. I loved that car! Still sort of wish they still had T-tops.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

The S130 and Z31 are perhaps the most under-appreciated Z generations but I really enjoyed my Shiro (RIP)....

What I liked about it most was that the Shiro, without all of the electronic geegaws (instruments, controls, radio), but with the austere interior and subtle factory body mods, it "brought back" (for me at least) the essence of the S30 but had the power assisted steering and turbo to make it a better (and easier to drive) Z car.

Still kicking myself in the tuckus for NOT removing the factory Recaros before it got hauled off to the salvijj yard. Would have been perfect for current S30... sigh....
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by ninevoltz
I bought the '84 Z from a P-3C pilot in Hawaii while I was in the Navy there. I loved that car! Still sort of wish they still had T-tops.
That would be hilarious if it were the same car I saw in Korea. The guy who owned that was a Navy pilot as well. The car was identical to the one in your photo.

EDIT: What year did you buy it?

Last edited by zakmartin; 12-12-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
zakmartin

Mic - if I ever see a Shiro up for sale, I'll let you know. It's a crying shame what happened to your car.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:54 PM
ninevoltz

That would be hilarious if it were the same car I saw in Korea. The guy who owned that was a Navy pilot as well. The car was identical to the one in your photo.

EDIT: What year did you buy it?
I bought it sometime around 1994.

It had a nasty problem with stalling out and refusing to start. Turned out to be the cylinder head temperature sensor. Took me a while to figure it out and fix it.

I gotta admit I kinda feel like an *** with two Z's sitting in my driveway, curious what the neighbors are thinking about that display of over-indulgence.

Last edited by ninevoltz; 12-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I gotta admit I kinda feel like an *** with two Z's sitting in my driveway, curious what the neighbors are thinking about that display of over-indulgence.
He just called me an ***. Hahahahahahaha.

Don't feel bad until you have three parked outside along with a bright red roadster with racing stripes.

Mic - if I ever see a Shiro up for sale, I'll let you know. It's a crying shame what happened to your car.
Thanks, Zak, probably won't be able to buy another one at what I got mine for originally nor at the price the insurance adjusted it out at, for that matter. But I'll entertain it after I make room in my garages. Not parking another irreplaceable car on the street.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-12-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:29 AM
ninevoltz

Originally Posted by MicVelo
He just called me an ***. Hahahahahahaha.

Don't feel bad until you have three parked outside along with a bright red roadster with racing stripes.
Ha ha, you definitely got it bad! I figured it was time to pull the trigger when the 2017 Tokyo motor show came and went and there was no Z35 concept. I'm afraid it's the end of the line for the Z. I might be ready for a change once I've worn this new one out, in ten years or so. That's if we are even still allowed to drive our own cars that far in the future. (Thanks, Libtards!)
Old 12-13-2017, 07:36 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Ha ha, you definitely got it bad! I figured it was time to pull the trigger when the 2017 Tokyo motor show came and went and there was no Z35 concept. I'm afraid it's the end of the line for the Z. I might be ready for a change once I've worn this new one out, in ten years or so. That's if we are even still allowed to drive our own cars that far in the future. (Thanks, Libtards!)
Yeah, there's a lamenting thread on the "Z35" - or lack thereof - on here:

https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/6...t-the-z35.html

I'm at the age where I'm not accepting of any self driving (autonomous) cars. There isn't anywhere I'm ready to give up control to a machine. While one of my client companies (well, two actually) are leading/contributing to that charge, I've turned down work for the "autonomy divisions" because I can't get behind it (and ethically, cannot work on any projects I have no belief in.... $$ means little to me where my philosophies are compromised.)

I'm accepting of electric tech cars more and more (Tesla roadster; despite not aspiring to own one) and alternative fuels/drive technology (H fuel cell, hybrid) but I will have to be cold in the ground before anyone takes away my IC engines entirely. (And I likely will be there when such legislation is even proposed.)

I'm not sure whether I can point a finger (or would even suggest) "blame" can be assigned to either side of the political neutral line though.... You'd be surprised at the number of non-liberal, slightly (or more) to the right engineering people I know/work with. And yes, these are people working on the technologies above, more for the scientific aspects of it. I think it's more an "age divisive thing".

All for a cleaner environment but not at the expense of the fun of a rodded gas engine. At least grandfather those in, similar to smog check exemptions. Hahahaha.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-13-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 AM
ninevoltz

I've been in the electronics field my entire working life, and I can't stand electric cars. The idea is just stupid. The range anxiety and recharge time is enough to put me off. One of the office girls here just bought a 2013 Tesla model S. They are like a giant (laggy) iPad with wheels. I also cannot stand that ego maniacal Elon Musk either, so there's that. And now I can't see one without hearing the
Old 12-13-2017, 08:36 AM
zakmartin

(Thanks, Libtards!)
https://my350z.com/forum/politics-wa...-and-race-552/
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM
ninevoltz

Another place on the internet where people can yell at each other about politics?!
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I've been in the electronics field my entire working life, and I can't stand electric cars. The idea is just stupid. The range anxiety and recharge time is enough to put me off. One of the office girls here just bought a 2013 Tesla model S. They are like a giant (laggy) iPad with wheels. I also cannot stand that ego maniacal Elon Musk either, so there's that. And now I can't see one without hearing the sound effects of the Jetsons' car.
Have always felt that way too (about Teslas) but dayam, drove a P85D at an invitational event at Pebble Beach couple years back. Holy shidski, Batpeople! That got me thinking cuz driving it was like that feeling of driving my first electric bumper car. Right-now acceleration, no lag, no fuss, just go.

Range issue, absolutely. Been known to say, "No electric for me until I can get to Los Angeles (around 400 miles) from home on one charge OR a 30 minute full cap charge while I grab a bite to eat along the way." They're gettin' there.... have really extended the range over just the last few years. And the e-supercharger technology seems to be working pretty well.

Would I actually buy one? Maybe..... time will tell. I do like the usable space premise of the Model X.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 AM
ninevoltz

I gotta admit the new roadster they are working on looks good, and it's faster than a scalded dog shot out of a cannon. Supposedly has something like 400 mile range, but I just can't get behind electric cars. They are falsely advertised as being clean and good for the environment. Lithium strip mining has destroyed some areas in Canada. They still use lots of steel, rubber, plastic, and other metals (energy intensive). And unless you get your power from solar panels or hydropower, it's coming from burning coal, natural gas, or nuclear (all polluters). As more and more people get electric cars, this nation's pathetic power grid will need to be upgraded. Who's gonna pay for that?

I think this thread has derailed....
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I gotta admit the new roadster they are working on looks good, and it's faster than a scalded dog shot out of a cannon. Supposedly has something like 400 mile range, but I just can't get behind electric cars. They are falsely advertised as being clean and good for the environment. Lithium strip mining has destroyed some areas in Canada. They still use lots of steel, rubber, plastic, and other metals (energy intensive). And unless you get your power from solar panels or hydropower, it's coming from burning coal, natural gas, or nuclear (all polluters). As more and more people get electric cars, this nation's pathetic power grid will need to be upgraded. Who's gonna pay for that?

I think this thread has derailed....

Moderator inspired off topic derailing. It's a gift. Laff......

Last: I have a buddy who - while not entirely off grid green - his home's solar system is so efficient and effective that he does occasionally feed the grid (during peak solar months of course) even after home use including charging two electric cars. (One's a T-car, the other a VW eGolf, which I affectionately call his GOLFcart.)

But then he offsets that because he lives in Central Valley HOT requiring A/C... a fact I use to shrink his fat head when he talks about being green.

So how about that All-E Z36 in the works?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM
ninevoltz

Originally Posted by MicVelo
So how about that All-E Z36 in the works?
I have no faith they are working on anything of the sort. I had a good close look at the BMW i8 once when my wife had her 335i in for service. It looks like an overgrown athletic sneaker to me. With the stripes and all the weird over designed shapes. The new 8 series though, OMG if only I could afford that thing...