Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track build Z to race the nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:37 AM
Marcel Roehrl

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile Track build Z to race the nordschleife

Hey, I`m a 25 year old student from germany and would like to show you my project.
The Z was my first car which I bought slightly damaged when I was 18. After fixing it I drove it for a few years and did some mods to it.
It was nearly stock, only a strosek front bumper and an air intake.

After two years and few more mods (lmgt4 wheels, full exhaust system, stripped interior, recaro pole positions, kw clubsport suspension, omp wheel, ecu tune, small stuff) I took it to the track for the first time. I had really bad tires at the time (different front/rear) which brought me a small moment in the adenauer forst (at 3:25min):
This was was my second lap on the nordschleife and my first day on a race track. After four laps my front brembos were absolutely trash, but the track was closing anyways so it wasn´t a problem.
(with stock suspension and interieur)

(with mods listed above, without the steering wheel)

Because I needed a new front brake I went all in and bought 378mm AP-racing floating brake disks with AP-racing pro 5000+ (CP5260) calipers and let manthey racing design the brackets and brake pots. I also got an mocal oil cooler kit, toyo 265 r888 tires and made a custom brake cooling for the front.
I took it to my second trackday and was surprised how much better the tires are. I was more than 30sec faster a lap and the grip level was not comparable. Because I had no adjustable suspension parts I had to drive with only -1° camber in the front and -2° in the rear. That resulted in very bad tire temperatures and left a lot of potential on the track (outer tire temp was hotter than the inner tiretemp).
I`ve some videos on my old channel, here is my most popular one:

Now the the real fun began. I got in contact with schirmer race engineering and planned my future project. If you don`t know them, they build extremely fast track- and racecars. Most popular are their e92 m3s which lapped the ring (BTG) in under 7 minutes on street tires (dz03g), street registered and with a NA engine. The guy who welded my cage also build the first 350z and r35 GTR racecar for nissan in germany for the VLN racing series and the 24h race. He also constructed the cages for all SLS AMG GT3s and much more, basically he knows what he`s doing and has some amazing welding skills. He really helped me, but of course it was still really expensive so for the preparation I did everything I could by myself with the help of some friends. That meant I had to take the car completely apart. There was not a single bolt, line, wire or part left on the body. I also had to remove every tar mat and every sealing between the sheets. The worst part was to carefully drill out every single welding point and cut out all the unnecessary metal sheets (which were a lot, around 800 welding points). That included the basis seat console and much more. Here are some pics before the car went to schirmer.

After SEVERAL year, many visits and some complications the car was finally ready to take home. Because I`m a tall guy it was really a challenge to make me fit perfectly in the car. The cage had to be embed into pillars (much to grind out and the cage is welded directly to the pillars), the seat console had to be boxed out (basically under the original floor) and the footwell had completely redesigned to fit me and the AP-racing pedalbox. The frame had to be opened, redesigned, reinforced and so on. He also connected all domes, reinforced them and directly connected the front and rear subframe (cut the body, welded in some bars and welded the metal sheets back on). The part behind the seats is cut out and framed to fit in a FT3 fuel cell. All in all a very elaborate build. Here are some pics:

(fully welded the a pillar, grinded out the "roof")

(fully welded b,c pillar, grinded out)

(supported rear dome)

(footwell boxed out and reinforced for the pedal pox)

(front mountings for the air jacks)

(reinforced front dome and connection to the front subframe)

(cut out to weld the support for the front suspension and welded back together, that on both sides of the bar)

(same for the rear subframe)

(basis seating console boxed out to make it lower)

(for the seat railing to get it even lower)

Now the next fun part began. I had to sand the whole body and had to remove every sealing, protection and much more from the underbody, rear wheel arches and so on. After that my father could paint the underbody and engine compartment (thanks again). The interior was painted by a friend of mine in a professional work shop. It turned out pretty good.

And here is the finished product:

To get the heat mat in this good was also a real pain:

Currently the engine, fuel system, rear subframe, interior and much more is back in the car and the engine is running fine. I just have some problems with the instruments, but I´ve another thread for that. Of course I don`t just put the car back together. Every single piece is cleaned, painted, sandblasted (actually glass blasted) or replaced. It`ll take a bit more time to get it back rolling, but I`ve sorted out everything and just need to place the last orders. Of course there are some parts that needed much planning. To set up and calculate the brake system, master cylinders and so on took some time. I also have to make custom brake lines to each wheel and many more custom jobs.

Current setup (not everything):
engine:
-plenum spacer
-itg jc60 air filter
-full exhaust system with 200 cats and invidia n1
-koyo radiator
suspension and brakes:
-kw clubsport
-cp5516 ap racing pedal box (big money) with cp6465 master cylinders
-378mm ap racing brake disks front
-cp5260 brake calipers front
-pfc 01 brake pads front and rear
-braided brake lines
interior:
-omp hte-r driver seat
-omp wrc-r passenger seat

I´ll buy some spl products (front and rear camber arms, traction rod, solid diff bushings, solid subframe bushings,...), a lithium battery, new wheels and tires in the next few weeks. Also I`m going to buy a TRW race abs system, which is all well planned and only needs to be ordered. I´m not so sure about the wheels yet. I can`t decide between enkei rs05rr and volk te37sl. The volks are 300gr lighter, maybe have better brake clearance and should be a bit stronger than the enkeis, but will cost me 700€ more. I`ll not buy rpf1, because they are not strong enough and flex too much. Dimensions will be 18*10.5 +15 for the front and 18*11 +18 for the rear. Before race slicks I`ll drive 285/30 direzza 03g tires (when I get that combination to fit, otherwise 265/35).
Because schirmer will enable me to get this car street registered (pretty insane for german laws), I`ll have to buy some street tires (direzzas) anyway. Thats also why I have the possibility to hang in the original fuel cell, because it`s not possible to drive a ft3 cell on the street.

The car is build for the RCN (and maybe VLN in the future) racing series on the nordschleife. Of course I`ll take it to some trackdays, occasionally take it to some country roads and do some tours through norway, italy and so on. I`ll get to the aero in the near future (first splitter and rear diffusor, then underbody and rear spoiler) and much more to do (nitron race suspension, rear brake system, hr engine swap, itbs, ...), so it´s gonna be a long project. Surely someday it won`t be possible to drive it on the road and track anymore (ft3 cell, aero, itbs, ...), but I still have the possibility to change the fuel cell, take of the spoiler and so on.
Does anyone know if Sasha Anis is on this forum? I`d like to contact him regarding to the engine tuning.

Finally I want to thank everyone who helped me over the years, particularly the owner of the black Z in the picture

Last edited by Marcel Roehrl; 12-18-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: fixing the links
The following 9 users liked this post by Marcel Roehrl:
Atreyu'z 350 (12-18-2017), Bak3rme (12-18-2017), BluestreamDE (12-17-2017), jv350z (12-17-2017), Kwame (06-25-2019), RobPhoboS (11-06-2018), Row2K (01-02-2018), thekinn (02-13-2019), zakmartin (12-18-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-17-2017, 05:22 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Wow, that's an impressive build so far! Well done!

Do you know Sasha's screen name for the forums?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome- that's an impressive build of a Z33 racecar. Sounds like you've had a lot of help, including a gearhead father who helped out immensely, I'm sure! Any estimates on what you've spent so far?

You didn't mention much about personal safety gear, but I assume you're mandated in using FIA-spec gear like full-face helmet, HANS device, fire suppression and six-point seatbelts. How much does it cost to gain a racing license with RCN OR VLN? Is it similar to here in the States with a full racing physical and certification through a school?
Old 12-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

wow. Very nice!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Marcel Roehrl

Thanks guys,
no I don`t know his screen name.

@dkmura
Yeah my father helped me a lot in the beginning with fixing the car and getting it back on the road. After that he helped out here and there but provided all the tools, lift and so on.
I don´t really know how much I spend, but probably less than you think. I did nearly everything by myself or the help of some friends and got really good deals on most of the parts and the working hours that I had to pay for. For example, I got the pedal box for just 1000€ (retail 4800€) from a crazy time attack guy who just bought it to rebuild a forged version of it to save some ounces...
Yes I`ve a six point belt, helmet and fireproof clothing at the moment. I`ll have to get a fire suppression system, professional kill switch, a new FIA helmet and HANS device before I enter the racing series.
You basically only have to pay a small amount, fill out some formulas and get checked by a doctor (which is free in germany) to get the racing license that is necessary for the RCN. When you get decent/good results in RCN you get a better racing license and the nordschleife permit (you still have to do the theoretical part). With that you can drive in the VLN. Otherwise you`d have to do the license on a trackday with an instructor that would cost around 800€-1500€.

Last edited by Marcel Roehrl; 12-17-2017 at 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-2017, 08:20 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Yours is a great and SERIOUS build!!

Much appreciated and a welcome change to all of the "dead car" threads!!

Are you any relation to Walter?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Marcel Roehrl

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Yours is a great and SERIOUS build!!

Much appreciated and a welcome change to all of the "dead car" threads!!

Are you any relation to Walter?
Thanks. Sadly I`m not related to him, but my father`s first name is Walter

Last edited by Marcel Roehrl; 12-17-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:19 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice build.

As far as I know Sasha has not posted on here for a while but here's a link to his company.

http://www.onpointdyno.com
Old 12-17-2017, 01:49 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcel Roehrl
Thanks. Sadly I`m not related to him, but my father`s first name is Walter
So you are kind of related to Walter.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Because I needed a new front brake I went all in and bought 378mm AP-racing floating brake disks with AP-racing pro 5000+ (CP5260) calipers
How do you like the AP versus the Brembo?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I had s twitch in the pants looking at this build. That cage design was like perfectly removed from my mind
Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 AM
Marcel Roehrl

Originally Posted by bealljk
How do you like the AP versus the Brembo?
Considering that the brembos were done after four laps and the AP (with brake cooling) were nearly too cold after 15 laps it's not really a question. Other than that they feel much stronger, more consistent and better to modulate. The brake feel will improve drastically with the new pedal box, master cylinders and ABS.
​​​​
@terrasmask
Build it, only takes a bit over 1000 hours
Old 12-18-2017, 01:06 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Marcel -

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your build thread. It's an inspiring project you've taken on and the fact that you get to race it around the Nürburgring makes me envious beyond words. The HUNDREDS of hours I've spent around the 'Gring on Forza, though NOTHING like what you get to experience, gives me an opportunity to vicariously drive your corners, straights and hills like I'm there. You totally own the Caracciola Karussell and the way you fly by other cars makes me proud to be a 350Z owner. You're a welcome addition around here.
The following users liked this post:
Marcel Roehrl (09-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

i like this a lot. great!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Marcel Roehrl

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Marcel -

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your build thread. It's an inspiring project you've taken on and the fact that you get to race it around the Nürburgring makes me envious beyond words. The HUNDREDS of hours I've spent around the 'Gring on Forza, though NOTHING like what you get to experience, gives me an opportunity to vicariously drive your corners, straights and hills like I'm there. You totally own the Caracciola Karussell and the way you fly by other cars makes me proud to be a 350Z owner. You're a welcome addition around here.
Thank you, I`m very glad to hear that. Maybe we can make it work to give you a ride on the passenger seat if you will ever visit Germany.
Yes it`s pretty fun to throw the car into the Karussel, the part between that and the Schwalbenschwanz is my favorite one.
I`d recommend Assetto Corsa, IRacing or Project Cars 2 (in that order) if you really want to know how to drive the nordschleife. Before my first lap I played it on GT5 (should be a similar track to Forza), but it had nothing to do with the real track (width and much more).
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:42 AM
zakmartin

Thank you, I`m very glad to hear that. Maybe we can make it work to give you a ride on the passenger seat if you will ever visit Germany.
Be careful. I might hold you to that. My parents were stationed in Stuttgart for two years back in the 1990s and the only reason I didn't make it out there for a visit was because of a crazy ex-girlfriend. I wanted to be the only person to lap the Nürburgring in a 1988 Chrysler New Yorker.

Seriously, a trip around the Nürburgring, even if only in a taxi, is on my bucket list.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:45 PM
GT4Zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hallo Marcel, this is fantastic to find a fellow Ringer here! And your build is exactly what i had in mind but realistically I'm not sure i will be able to match the detail and spec to which you are building yours but it will be close! I can only congratulate and wish you success as that car will be amazing on the Ring!
i have been tracking on the Ring for 9years now with my zed and since 2016 with my GTR and done over 1000 laps in total. I almost did RCN a few years ago but didn't workout dure to time. My zed was last at the Ring in October 2015 and since mid last year after doing some trackdays in the UK, I decided to complete the last stage of development and upgrades but unfortunately it has spent time in various garages getting various work done but through the numerous disappointments and failed promises or poor workmanship and my dealing with an acrimonious divorce it has not had the attention that it deserved. I finally brought her back home in November to do some of the work myself and then in February its going to get a cage like yours and get back on the Ring again!
I would have really wished to strip her down like you did but I've had to cut corners. Ill make it up with some lexan and upgrade supercharger on my built engine hopefully. But in anycase secretly I'll only ever respect my achievements on NA power with bolt-ons.
Have you met/seen Toni's zed(bodystore racing on YouTube) or Chris bruchmann who does VLN in his zed. They both are Ringers too and Germans. (Toni does the RF more than Chris). They have both been inspirational and shared directly or indirectly info about improving the zed. Im always in touch with Toni.
Ill be in Nurburg in April with GTR with circuit trackdays organizers and probably labout July with the zed. It would be nice to meet or exchange info. I'll keep up with your progress and contact you via pm for some pricing info. I know and have been to Tom shirmers place a discussed briefly but could hardly stomach their waiting times or price. Raeder motorsports where somewhat cheaper but i think ill use the new shop ive been recommended locally in the UK. If i have to say one thing Make sure you get everything SPL and go full solid bushres on the engine and driveline. I wasted my time with polybushes only to redo shortly later. Secondly get a CD009 box with Zspeed mc tilton upgrade with LWT single or twin clutch set up and CAE copy shifter then go full square setup with 275 or 295 all round with semi slicks. I'll work out how to post pics or vids and share. Merry xmas to you and all the here
B
Old 12-26-2017, 03:14 AM
Marcel Roehrl

@GT4Zed
Thanks, 1000 laps is quite a number considering that you're from the UK. I'd like to see some pictures and information about your Z, maybe you can make a thread as well.
I will never boost my Z, although the power gain for the money is very tempting. But NA is always better to drive, more reliable, I love the sound of ITBs on the Z and most important it's not allowed in the VLN or RCN to add any kind of boost if the car doesn't come with it from the factory.
I`ll also get some lexan windows, carbon parts and much more in the future. My car will probably never be finished...
I've seen some videos of Toni's Z and asked Chris a few questions on another forum. When I started to strip my Z I got in contact with the guy who sold Chris his already track ready (stripped, "caged",...) Z. I wanted to buy some parts from him, but he wanted to sell or trade his whole car .
I hope that my Z will be driving again in April, but I'm not sure if I've it street registered until then. My first test trackday will probably be in meppen. I can drive there pretty cheap without any street registration and the track is a lot safer than the nordschleife which would be better for a first trackday after so many modifications.
Yes Tom has way too much work to do and to wait more than two years really threw me back a bit. He also made very clear not to buy powerflex bushings, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to enter their workshop anymore
I`ll order nearly all SPL parts and bushings tomorrow and hope to install them next week. I`ve a CD008 transmission with stock clutch. I hope my transmission and clutch will survive for a bit longer, because I'm planning to get a sequential gearbox from sweden. I already had 265 toyos all around and will go with 285 direzzas when I get them to fit (on 18*10,5+15 and 18*11+16 wheels).

@Martin
I`m pretty sure you`ll not find such a car here in germany and I don't now if a car like that will survive a lap on the ring
But I'm sure we can make it work to get you a passenger lap
Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM
zakmartin

@Martin
I`m pretty sure you`ll not find such a car here in germany and I don't now if a car like that will survive a lap on the ring
But I'm sure we can make it work to get you a passenger lap
My parents took the Chrysler New Yorker to Germany with them when they moved out there. They'd get crowds of people hovering around the car like it was some kind of Italian exotic and people offered them ridiculous money to buy it but my dad wanted to keep the car (for reasons still unknown to me.) After Germany, they got shipped to Okinawa, so I inherited the New Yorker until a semi truck smashed into it on a foggy morning. At least no one was hurt.

That car would have gone around the Nürburgring like an elephant on a skateboard, but still, I would have been the only one.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:25 AM
GT4Zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are definitely on the right track Marcel! One can never stop developing a race/track car but a soid foundation is the best possible thing. I wish i did from the start as i wasted so much money and time on things that i had to change again and again. Its was only in the last 3yrs that it became clear to me what the direction should be. Never too late i guess. Thats why i will make sure my cage is done right and go on from there. To that respect i will need to pick your brains and get more details/pics of your setup to be able to get my builder to get things spot on. I am also interested in a few other things you have planned. Are you on whats up? Ill pm you my details to fascilitate this.
yes it is crazy the number of laps or costs associated with traveling from the UK to the Ring but its been worth every penny! I started regularly in 2008 and was hooked. I do between 3-5 visits of 3 TFdays or rarely organised track days so the laps add up quickly. I have friends who have their cars stored in Nurburg throughout summer so they have a jahreskarte and just fly to Koln and there do my trip to the Ring and most of them has done over 5000 laps. In fact ine drives now for Team Schirmer at the VLN! I plan to do this too at some point next year.
Lets keep in touch. I'll be doing my first trip in April to the Ring most likely in the GTR as the cage will be done in February and leaves me very tight on time to get the Z ready but ill do my best. I hope to see your car in the flesh! Will try and dig some pics/vids and work out how to post them. Im really crap with stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Track build Z to race the nordschleife