Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DE vs Revup Differences For TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM
ChrisDe

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DE vs Revup Differences For TT

Hi,

I've got a 2003 DE car that I'm going to be making my own twin turbo setup for soon, but I also have a 2006 Revup car with no gearbox (don't ask). So I was thinking I could use the revup as kind of a template car to build the turbo manifolds and figure out intercooler pipe routing etc on so that I don't have to take anything apart on the car I'm actually driving fairly often. Then once I've made everything fit on the revup, I can basically just move it over to the DE and have a lot less down time.

So just wondering if anyone can think of any differences on the revup engine (or in the engine bay in general) that would affect the design of the turbo exhaust manifolds or intake pipe routing? I know the revup has variable valve timing on exhaust side but presumably the exhaust ports going to the manifold are still the same?

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Welcome to the forum -

Interesting question - the blocks are the same but the heads are different. If I were in your shoes I'd mock/tack everything up on the Rev-up and dry-fit it on the DE before you finalize your welding.

As far as your IC goes - do that after everything is installed on the car. I've done some minor IC pipe work and it seems that having the exact setup would be the most efficient.

It's crossed my mind to fabricate tube headers for the greddy tt kit as the cast iron headers are prone to cracking - it's only a matter of time.

Start a build thread for your progress!

Are you in the UK?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Heads are identical except for the extra sensor on the backside of the revup head. The main difference will be the slight different in the front timing cover
The following users liked this post:
ChrisDe (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:59 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Rev up has tons of space in the back firewall compared to the DE.

My friend had a rev up and it had all sorts of space to reach back there. My DE has very little. I'm sure there is more differences but that's the only one I know for a fact off the top of my head. Both were stock st the time.

Chain cover was also slightly different than mine as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
ChrisDe

Originally Posted by bealljk
Welcome to the forum -Interesting question - the blocks are the same but the heads are different. If I were in your shoes I'd mock/tack everything up on the Rev-up and dry-fit it on the DE before you finalize your welding.
Yeah that's probably the best idea, but just might not end up saving that much time. Still better than having to do 100% of it on my car though I guess.

It's crossed my mind to fabricate tube headers for the greddy tt kit as the cast iron headers are prone to cracking - it's only a matter of time.
Oh really? I thought that was one of the main problems with making stainless manifolds yourself - that they can crack easily. Figured the cast ones wouldn't have that issue.

Start a build thread for your progress!
Are you in the UK?
Yeah I'm in the UK. As for a build thread, I've documented most stuff I've done to the car in videos on my youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9bBb-BhwTlS_yh
So kinda seems pointless writing it all out as well, but I'll try get round to writing up some stuff for the twin turbo setup just in case it helps save anyone else all the hours I've had to spend searching for fittings etc and figuring out all the parts we're going to need.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 PM
ChrisDe

Originally Posted by CK_32

My friend had a rev up and it had all sorts of space to reach back there. My DE has very little. I'm sure there is more differences but that's the only one I know for a fact off the top of my head. Both were stock st the time.
Oh that's surprising, and potentially a pain for me lol I guess I can get the two side by side and at least compare the obvious differences just from looking at the engine bay anyway, but yeah was just wondering if there was anything people knew of that wasn't obviously just from a quick look.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:59 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

One diff is the cam selection between the two. When I did my build almost 10 years ago, BC2's were all the rage. RevUp had only Kelford or JWT.

From what I rem.....the shop did not mention any benefits of the RevUp........fuel delivery, turbos, exhaust, etc AND MANUAL TRANNY are more important. (Built autos have been problematic for some)
Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 AM
ChrisDe

Originally Posted by eZg
One diff is the cam selection between the two. When I did my build almost 10 years ago, BC2's were all the rage. RevUp had only Kelford or JWT.

From what I rem.....the shop did not mention any benefits of the RevUp........fuel delivery, turbos, exhaust, etc AND MANUAL TRANNY are more important. (Built autos have been problematic for some)
oh yeah they're both manual don't worry. I stole the cd009 tranny out of the revup to put on my 2003 car when third gear started grinding.

I wasn't planning to do cams tbh, just rods and pistons with lower CR
Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ChrisDe
Oh really? I thought that was one of the main problems with making stainless manifolds yourself - that they can crack easily. Figured the cast ones wouldn't have that issue.
I'm not exactly sure who's to blame for the greddy cracked cast headers ... but it's been problematic over the past 10years or so. It could be a production problem, it could be a materials issue? it could be an end-users fault? who knows...

A few things I did to help my situation ... (maybe there is something you can use from my setup?)
Initially I had my headers wrapped - I've since removed the heat wrap as I feel inherent inconsistencies in the wrap-job will create hot spots and heat stress that'll encourage cracking

I vented my front hood to reduce engine bay temps (if you care, review my greddy twin build page) and it helped quite a bit.

I put two sections of flex hose in system - a set in each test pipe and one in the mid-pipe. Give everything plenty of room to expand & contract
The following users liked this post:
ChrisDe (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

/\/\ solid motor mounts prob help too
Old 01-19-2018, 07:47 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by eZg
/\/\ solid motor mounts prob help too
For sure and good point
Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It's no coincidence that it's always the passenger side that cracks in my opinion. The motor torques that way without solid mounts. If anyone has heard of a drivers side cracking let me know.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32

Chain cover was also slightly different than mine as well.
It’s the same, only difference is the one extra sensor on the backside of each head when dealing with a revup. A non revup head has the spot set for the sensor, just needs to be machined out. I’m building a rev up, converted to DE right now.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

The question is do you want intake and exhaust VVT or just exhaust? Other than that they are identical.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:46 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Conway_160
The question is do you want intake and exhaust VVT or just exhaust? Other than that they are identical.
I dont think OP wants to turbo the RevUp...

DE = Intake Cam Phasing
Rev Up = Intake & Exhaust Cam Phasing

(I think you mis-typed - DE only has intake)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

I dont think OP wants to turbo the RevUp...

DE = Intake Cam Phasing
Rev Up = Intake & Exhaust Cam Phasing

(I think you mis-typed - DE only has intake)
Yea i always get it backwards thinking DE has Exhaust VVT.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:34 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build an HR motor car, much better platform for power. Then you only need a reflash tune thanks to the dual MAFs.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:09 PM
ChrisDe

FYI - finally got round to starting this project a few weeks ago. Made a build thread here if anyone's interested: https://my350z.com/forum/media-share...urbo-350z.html