Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Best compression for Vortech v3 build w/ 91 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Michael Zosa

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best compression for Vortech v3 build w/ 91 octane?

Hello all! Yes I’ve searched around the forums but can’t seem to find a Vortech build on only 91 octane NO water meth. What compression would be best for a vortech build on only 91 octane? The motor will be sent to be built next month. Also if I wish to make around 400~450WHP, what forged internals are a must? Also any recommended brands for gaskets ? Thank you
Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

My engine build is pretty simple for Vortech, and should be fine for your power level that you want.

Wiseco 11.1 compression pistons
Eagle Rods
Stock heads
ARP L19 Head Bolts
ACL race bearings
Tomei Head Gaskets
Revup Oil Pump (needed to rev past 7100rpm on DE)

With the 2.87 pulley you should be north of 450 and have a higher redline with the Revup Oil Pump installed if you are continuing go make power past that based on your exhaust mods or intake manifold/throttle body size.

The extra compression from the pistons will give you some more natural torque throughout the Rev range, however with higher compression, it leaves less margin of error for advance ignition timing. A safe AFR and modest timing by your tuner is key to make it all copasetic.

If anyone else has any suggestions please chime in.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Zosa (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Michael Zosa

Thanks for the reply! You run 11 on 91 octane?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Michael Zosa

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
My engine build is pretty simple for Vortech, and should be fine for your power level that you want.

Wiseco 11.1 compression pistons
Eagle Rods
Stock heads
ARP L19 Head Bolts
ACL race bearings
Tomei Head Gaskets

With the 2.87 pulley you should be north of 450 and have a higher redline with the Revup Oil Pump installed if you are continuing go make power past that based on your exhaust mods or intake manifold/throttle body size.

The extra compression from the pistons will give you some more natural torque throughout the Rev range, however with higher compression, it leaves less margin of error for advance ignition timing. A safe AFR and modest timing by your tuner is key to make it all copasetic.

If anyone else has any suggestions please chime in.
Thanks for your reply! Are you running the 11 compression on 91 octane? I'll be running only 91. Im open to e85 if i have to though.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:01 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Michael Zosa
Thanks for your reply! Are you running the 11 compression on 91 octane? I'll be running only 91. Im open to e85 if i have to though.
Beforehand in the beginning of the build, I was running 93 (Texas) and it ran fine, no problems. There's ppl on this site pushing Vortechs past 700whp on 91 with 10-11.1 cp. Just be modest with ignition timing and keep the AFR at a safe, rich amount (11.5 AFR for example) under wot.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Beforehand in the beginning of the build, I was running 93 (Texas) and it ran fine, no problems. There's ppl on this site pushing Vortechs past 700whp on 91 with 10-11.1 cp. Just be modest with ignition timing and keep the AFR at a safe, rich amount (11.5 AFR for example) under wot.

Good luck!
this is not true. And I say this respectfully, if your not sure about others setups you shouldn’t be handing out advice w it as an example... Who is making 700+ on a Vortech on 91 octane cause that’s simply NOT happening... Infact who is making any kinda real power on PURE 91 octane and 11.0:1 comp....I run 93 octane on a 10.0:1 compression with VERY modest timing. Also there are maybe 3-4 of us total above 700whp and I believe I’m the only one doing it on pump gas the rest are E85...And I would not suggest for him to run 11:1 on 91 that’s just bad news waiting to happen. The tuner would have to keep timing stupid low. If you plan to run e85 go 11:1 if not stay near stock CR OR LOWER. If someone has to ask a question like this, they clearly don’t need to be pushing the limits on pump gas running a 11:1 comp setup esp not on 91...

best of luck

Last edited by Colombo; 05-19-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:29 AM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

To the OP, do some more research and decide a comp ratio that YOU believe through research is your best bet. If you stay with pure 91 octane I wouldn’t go anywhere near 11:1. Can it be done safely possibly if timing is kept very very low. Like stupid low. go with a reasonable CR and boost away with realistic timing.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:06 AM
BluestreamDE

Not trying to start a debate but I suggested what was good for me at the time before switching to E85 prepping for the blower swap.

If 450whp is his goal, I don't see why 91 octane and higher compression would not be a benefit. He isn't pushing the limits with that power target. More natural torque output and 12psi if that is fine, compression any lower than that will just result in sluggish lowend and midrange performance, in which he will most likely be driving in thru regular driving.

I did mention Vortechs with 10-11.1 cp on pump (91-93) so my comment was correct. Also mentioned the modest timing and richer AFR to be adjusted for the compression that any reputable tuning shop would not have issues doing.

Either way, the forum is filled with different vortech setups, because there is more than one way to turn the wheel. I agree with Columbo on reading what others have done, and make an educated decision.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Michael Zosa

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably be sticking around OEM compression so it'd be safer. I'm only wanting around 400-450whp though, so I'm sure 11 compression could be possible but the question is IS IT SAFE? Thanks for your input.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Michael Zosa

Smile

Not trying to start a debate but I suggested what was good for me at the time before switching to E85 prepping for the blower swap.

If 450whp is his goal, I don't see why 91 octane and higher compression would not be a benefit. He isn't pushing the limits with that power target. More natural torque output and 12psi if that is fine, compression any lower than that will just result in sluggish lowend and midrange performance, in which he will most likely be driving in thru regular driving.

I did mention Vortechs with 10-11.1 cp on pump (91-93) so my comment was correct. Also mentioned the modest timing and richer AFR to be adjusted for the compression that any reputable tuning shop would not have issues doing.

Either way, the forum is filled with different vortech setups, because there is more than one way to turn the wheel. I agree with Columbo on reading what others have done, and make an educated decision.
You make a solid point about how I'm not going to push the vortech and the timing to uncomfortable limits. I'll talk to my tuner and mechanic over at unique today about it and see what they say. Either way, I'm leaning towards the 10 compression or 11 compression. Thanks for the input bro, really appreciated.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:15 PM
BluestreamDE

You make a solid point about how I'm not going to push the vortech and the timing to uncomfortable limits. I'll talk to my tuner and mechanic over at unique today about it and see what they say. Either way, I'm leaning towards the 10 compression or 11 compression. Thanks for the input bro, really appreciated.
Let me suggest to pick up a good quality intercooler as well to further help with detonation. The Treadstone TR1245 would be the one to get. When I still had my V3 I was getting 10-14 degrees above ambient intake Temps under boost. This will help make more power with the cooler air, and make it safer as well.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 05-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:19 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'm not as knowledgable on the SC setups since I went turbo a few years back but 400 to 450hp isnt that epic...very achievable with mild modification. You'll hit your goals with 91octane and a conservative tune.

I hit 455hp around 12 or 13psi with a built block, using a haltech, with a handful of other goodies...

A few things to consider -

I'd go with a lower compression ratio (such as a ~9:1) and you'll hit 400 to 450hp with 10 to 12psi of boost pressure, no problem, all day long...is a 10:1 or 11:1 bad? Nah, it's fine but a 9:1 might be safer - especially if you're worried about fuel octane levels.

I'd also look into a mild cam setup ... 260 - 270 degree is a good balance of driveability, tune-ability, and performance. ($1000)

You'll need to upgrade your fuel systems, get a 255 walbro, a 320 DW, or something in this neighborhood. Look into a return fuel system as well (CJ Motorsports does great kit). ($1000)

Add an oil cooler - doesnt have to be super fancy or super big - 10-12 row is fine ($200)

Add a free-flowing exhaust($1500)

Since the engine is out of the car, it may be wise to do headers now but not the end of the world if you dont.($500)

Consider a plenum spacer and lower plenum modifications(Motordyne lower plenum)($200)

Look into a harmonic dampening crank pulley ($300)

How are you going to tune? Uprev($700), Haltech($1000 + tuning), Link G4($1500 + tuning), (AEM Infiniti ~$2500 + tuning). Haltech, Link, AEM are all great solutions and are probably the best, but Uprev will be your most economical solution and will be fully capable.

Bluestream & Columbo are well respected members and you should research what they did and what others have done on their supercharged or turbo'd setups.

I'd also tell you to read Corky Bells either Maximum Boost and/or Supercharged ... some really good baseline information on FI systems.

Last edited by bealljk; 05-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:04 PM
vegasanthony

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Double post

Last edited by vegasanthony; 05-20-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:06 PM
vegasanthony

Hello all! Yes I’ve searched around the forums but can’t seem to find a Vortech build on only 91 octane NO water meth. What compression would be best for a vortech build on only 91 octane? The motor will be sent to be built next month. Also if I wish to make around 400~450WHP, what forged internals are a must? Also any recommended brands for gaskets ? Thank you

I went with 10.1 11psi vortech v2
on 91
Wiseco 10.1 compression pistons
Eagle Rods
Stock heads
ARP L19 Head Bolts
ACL race bearings
HR head Gaskets

if you go E85 those numbers are way doable
Old 05-19-2018, 08:48 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasanthony
I went with 10.1 11psi vortech v2
on 91
If you had it all over again - what, if anything, would you do different?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 AM
BluestreamDE

If I could do anything different, I would of done some headwork, mild cams and RJ Manufacturing Closed deck block. Didn't know they had the closed deck modified blocks till recently.

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/6101...ing-legit.html

https://www.facebook.com/rjmllc/
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Oops, missed a post.

Last edited by terrasmak; 05-20-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 AM
vegasanthony

Originally Posted by bealljk
If you had it all over again - what, if anything, would you do different?
There are days when I would have changed some things and others where I'm happy I'm where I'm at.i will say a fuel return system is needed no matter what
maybe I should have gone E85 from the get-go
but the E85 station is definitely not around the corner from me add to the fact with the guy with the Evo down the street test his E85 from there and it's always different. Fuel is expensive enough to and from the track add that the cost of E85 transporting and Storage
But at this point I'm still 91 octane and glad I stayed there. Came home early on one track event and had still like 15 gallons of 91 I put in my tow rig
Originally Posted by terrasmak
VegasAnthony built his with similar power levels, I believe at 10:1 , I’m going to get him to post his info here. It was also for track use and had no issues

10.1 all day long if you're going to be on a Vortec

9.5.1 or lower than that if you're going to Turbo

11.1 fot na. Although I wouldn't suggest it. Heat becomes a issue quickly

it's all about avoiding detonation

OP

sounds like you're pointed at the Vortech Direction that's cool join the club
either build it in 10 to 1 ..tuner will appreciate this gives him a little more Headroom before knock

Or
10.3.1 . Stock compression..
that way you can use a Vortech kit right out of the box if you buy their fmu

either one of those compressions will run on a stock tune on 91 so you can install the engine break it in before you slap a Vortech on it.. and if you have a problem with your blower you can uninstall and run a base tune on it
Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Michael Zosa

Thank you everyone for your help. I've talked to my mechanic and I've decided to go with the 10:1 build mentioned above and since he specializes in VQ's aswell, he said its a solid build for my needs. Thank you for every suggestion guys.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Michael Zosa

If I could do anything different, I would of done some headwork, mild cams and RJ Manufacturing Closed deck block. Didn't know they had the closed deck modified blocks till recently.

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/6101...ing-legit.html

https://www.facebook.com/rjmllc/
If the maximum I'll aim for is 500whp, do you recommend I get the L19 Studs over the regular ARP?

Quick Reply: Best compression for Vortech v3 build w/ 91 octane?