Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Coolant customization mystery - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 PM
MufficanWhatSon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant customization mystery - need help!

Just bought a new 350z. Been going over it righting a few wrongs (too small air filter ducttaped on for example) and got stuck on the coolant situation. The hose that's supposed to go to the radiator is dropped into the top of the coolant reservoir. The radiator (looks replaced) hose is dropped in the top of the reservoir also. Then there is a mystery line that runs behind the headlight, back behind front passenger tire, and looks to go to the cab. No ideas and this is where I'm looking for the help. Never seen it before.

Thick line should go to radiator
Thin line to right does go to radiator
Thin line to left is a mystery

Hard to see but that line is behind the tire going to the cab by the looks of it.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:37 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Looks like you have a 03-05 DE with the wrong overflow reservoir tank. Some Mickey Mousery going on, I would start by deleting everything and swap to an OEM setup.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:18 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Totally agree with Mr Sparco, someone has done his/her best to make a mess and they've succeeded. I'd be going back to stock OEM parts.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 AM
MufficanWhatSon

Default Dealership is looking at it.

Normally I dont shy away from doing my own digging, but I've had the car a month and in 2 weeks I'd like to take it on a trip. So with that deadline I figured letting a shop tell me what it would take me driving to discover (possibly in another state) I let them. I was told it had been in a wreck just at a glance (that was at the back of my mind - mismatched headlights, front driver wheel grinds sometimes) and they still have it as it was backed up when I dropped it off.

I'll update what I find out. But you guys didnt have any guesses as to what the purpose of their mess was? I just want to know what they were thinking.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 AM
LexD

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a WAG since I don't see the other side of the engine bay--
but, is it possible the mystery line to the left feeds the wipers, and they were using coolant as wiper fluid
Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by MufficanWhatSon
But you guys didnt have any guesses as to what the purpose of their mess was?
By the looks of it, the purpose was to get rid of the car fast and throw whatever they had on hand in there. They didn't even bother making it look "fixed." Based on your pictures, I wouldn't be worried about the purpose as much as what else is half baked.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by LexD
Just a WAG since I don't see the other side of the engine bay--
but, is it possible the mystery line to the left feeds the wipers, and they were using coolant as wiper fluid
I would venture to say that is the hoses to the washer, and the reservoir is no longer on the car, or smashed into pieces.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If you have a coupe it could be the rear wiper fluid hose but seriously - That picture has second-degree-burns written all over it.

Anybody else remember the Brady Bunch episode when Greg bought that p-o-s? Caveat emptor.

Not to hijack the thread but did anybody else know that someone actually went through and wrote a detailed synopsis and review of ever stinking Brady Bunch episode???

https://bradybunchreviewed.wordpress.com/

What kind of time does this person have on their hands?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:05 AM
MufficanWhatSon

Default It was wiper fluid

Pulled that hose out as it shouldn't be fed with coolant AND didnt function. Guess that was lucky.

reservoir is missing and the compressor (I knew about that as it came with no a/c but the lines are there if I get a new one.

it was in a wreck. Frame and everything have been inspected and it seems to be mostly cosmetic damage. The VDC slip is an issue I'm looking into and it could use a new clutch and throw out assembly. For 175000 miles wrecked the car runs and looks great.

I'm not taking this to any circuits or anything anytime soon but I'll have plenty of fun with it.