Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Best 350/370Z Exhaust and Cat Combination (IMHO)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best 350/370Z Exhaust and Cat Combination (IMHO)

Hey guys and ladies...

[The Exhaust Video]: https://tinyurl.com/y8bs7ewv [For TLDR's]

I know when I was trying to find the RIGHT, the perfect, in every way.. Cat Back Exhaust AND High Flow Cats (Or Straight Pipes) -- Combination for my 2008 - 350Z it was a time consuming,.. lengthy process.

It was difficult because pictures just don't do a lot of good for something under the car that has three primary functions in order of "Usual" importance.

1) Sound
2) Power
3) Weight Savings

Also what sounds AWESOME to Joe Blow who is a teenager (perhaps) may not be "Awesome" to John Doe or his wife Jane who is a bit older.. and honestly vice versa. We all have our wants, needs, and that's cool. Variety is the spice of life , so they say.

Anyhow - I made a video a while back that I put quite a bit of time into to try and get the full range of the RPM spectrum in most of the gears. Obviously 5th or 6th gear at 7,000 RPM isn't going to be in the video (Speed constraints/legality) but a massive range is there for someone to determine whether they would like to consider one or both of the options I have married.

Invidia Gemini Cat Back Exhaust [CBE]

Combined With:

Berk Technology High Flow Catalytic Converters

If a picture is worth 1,000 words then a video (with the purposeful audio/shift 'cam' etc) must be near priceless

Anyhow - I'm posting this to hopefully help others who are in the Exhaust market/researching for their Z's -- .. If it's a relatively somewhat Modern Z (Last 15+ years) then this Combination or either item will fit and Sound practically identical ||..to the video..||.

Here is the video:

If you have any questions regarding either of these .. The Invidia Gemini CBE, The Berk Tech Hi-Flow Cats,... and/or Both together... in any capacity from installation to why they were chosen to all in between I'm happy to respond.

I recall these were quite popular when I was researching so I imagine others can vouch for one or both of these items and their quality/sound overall.

I've had them for 2-3 years now and going strong.. and am still very pleased.

Let me know if you have either of these on your Z.. or have experience with them in some way (good or bad).

Take care,

P.S. I have a video just after I installed this setup to show the difference in sound before they break in vs. Brand new.. if interested let me know and I'll respond with it, but I don't want to spam videos to give the wrong impression.

Last edited by Chromatic; 05-23-2018 at 11:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 05:40 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Well put together video! I can appreciate the fact that your video included the sound at various RPMs/speeds. Should be helpful for a lot of people.

I previously had the Invidia Gemini and liked the accentuated VQ rumble with the stock cats. I then went to Berk HFCs paired with the Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 and love the new sound.

What did you use to film this? If you used an external mic, where was the mounting location?
Chromatic (05-29-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sound good but at times I was thinking Honda Civic..Perhaps I'm just getting old
Chromatic (05-29-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

I've got the Invidia Gemini with Crawford High Flow combo. Is it the best? Not sure as its the only combo I've had... but many recommend it. Seems paired with ART cats its gets even better.

I will say for sure that the build quality on the Gemini is excellent. The welds are nice looking, the fitment was perfect and they offer different tips. I went with rolled stainless to maintain a factory look.

Honestly the system is a bit louder then I was expecting and there is some drone (not really rasp) from 2 to 3,000 RPM. The exhaust note now has 3 distinct sounds: heavy throttle, off throttle and cruising (light throttle). The stock exhaust never had any rumble off throttle and only had a cruising sound that got a bit louder when under heavy throttle application. Overall I like it, but I wish the sound was a bit deeper. I can't speak for any "gains" in HP or TQ but the mid range power feels better and the top end is a tiny bit stronger. Likely this is all just in my head

Also wondering about your mic placement - as it sure doesn't sound that way from inside the car or even outside at a distance. Thus I got to assume you got the mic really close to the exhaust.
Chromatic (05-29-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Great vid chromatic. I've got mine on this site somewhere though not as thorough as your's. Invidia dual, kinetix high flo's and tomei headers. 4 door 350z .

Chromatic (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:43 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Well put together video! I can appreciate the fact that your video included the sound at various RPMs/speeds. Should be helpful for a lot of people.

I previously had the Invidia Gemini and liked the accentuated VQ rumble with the stock cats. I then went to Berk HFCs paired with the Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 and love the new sound.

What did you use to film this? If you used an external mic, where was the mounting location?
Thanks! I'm considering doing a follow up to this video with a similar setup.. maybe the shift cam, maybe not (not sure if it's worth the editing hassle as it takes a long time to synch two cameras and a mic up on shifts -- Or if people just want to HEAR things.. thoughts on the 'shift camera/pip' ?).
But in a follow up I'd go a little harder /higher in rev range.. at least down low as with this tune/power in 3rd I go over 130mph so not on a racetrack lol.

Yes the Invidia Gemini CBE accenuates the stock headers/cats at 3k RPM and below.. adding a warm deep sound. To me, above 3k was almost stock sounding.

Filming I used multiple Mobius v2 1920x1080p cameras and one Cannon HF R400 (Or similar name lol.. larger camera in contrast to mobius, but still a small handheld).

I used an external mic of course .. and had it on a two suction Gecko mount (sort of pricey but very solid (worth the money) ) that was placed just below the license plate on bumper. So basically between exhaust tips.

Yeah I went Invidia Gemini CBE first.. then within a month or so I had to add something for upper end sound .. ie: 3k - 8k RPM.. I settled on Berk HFC's and they were perfect.
Why did you pull your invidia system?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by JMII

Also wondering about your mic placement - as it sure doesn't sound that way from inside the car or even outside at a distance. Thus I got to assume you got the mic really close to the exhaust.
Mic placement is on rear bumper below license plate between the exhaust tips (so like 1 foot or so away from each tip).

It's similar in this video (different but same setup)

https://bit.ly/2sopQBX

Then in THIS video it's how it sounds INSIDE the car only -------------------------------------->>> https://bit.ly/2xmMK2t

However, the above video for inside the car (mic inside) .. I'm just cruising around normally.. not really accelerating/revving it high. So an accurate picture of daily driving I suppose
Old 05-30-2018, 03:48 AM
onevq35de

I used a $100 sony I bought from walmart several years ago. That's as high-tech as I get.

The sound of the cat's and cbe didn't change too much with the headers. Drone went away for the most part, overall just a little louder and the popping after letting off the throttle were noticeable after the headers. I rev'd to 6k. I wrapped those and the mid's and used dei form a shield for the cats to keep heat off the trans and floor pan. It worked.

Never pulled it. Over all, it sounds appropriate for my fx. Not too much. A single with a tinny sound like I hear so often would really be out of place on my 4 door z.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

i had the gemini paired with art pipes, and that was a good combo. was too tame for me so i got the tdx2
Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Why did you pull your invidia system?
Originally Posted by travlee
was too tame for me so i got the tdx2
Trav knows

However, I did keep the Invidia and I put it on my DD (G35). Still enjoy the sound
Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by onevq35de
Great vid chromatic. I've got mine on this site somewhere though not as thorough as your's. Invidia dual, kinetix high flo's and tomei headers. 4 door 350z .

https://youtu.be/HT8GLH3PW38
Interesting video, makes me wonder how mine will sound, Tomei headers, HFC and HKS twin muffler, will probably be really similar since the exhaust is a identical design except for the H pipe
Old 06-03-2018, 07:16 PM
onevq35de

I replied to chrome who was replying to heel, not me. That's funny.
Yeah dark, it probably will be similar. As I understand it, supposedly wrapping pipes does play a role in how the exhaust sounds as well and then there's the difference in length. Post a sound clip if you go that route.

Last edited by onevq35de; 06-03-2018 at 07:18 PM.