Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Porsche 6 piston clear LMGT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:24 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Porsche 6 piston clear LMGT4?

Hey gang,

Quick question as I contemplate which bbk to put on car....will the Porsche 6 piston calipers from the 04-2010 Cayenne clear 18” LMGT4’s?

I know id need a bracket, and I know brake bias is an issue to consider but for now just wondering if the caliper will fit or be made to fit with some grinding?

Side question if I can...would they need a custom brake line for sure or can stock lines work with the Porsche calipers? My current setup is non-Brembo oem but I have some bbk options and just learned about the Porsche calipers. Already have 14” rotors that fit the 370z Sport brakes (Akebono aluminum) so all I need are calipers. Don’t want to spend big bucks on StopTech or the others and the Akebonos look a little awkward to me...shape not as sporty as 6 piston Brembo calipers.

Thanks for the help,

Saved
Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I dont know that I've ever seen a z with Porsche brakes before and I dont know that anyone here is going to have insight on this topic.

Im sure it can be done but the trouble and money spent to custom fabricate the bracket, purchase the calipers and other misc supporting hardware you'd be better off buying a kit designed for the z33.

just my 2cents ...
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you getting a steal on the calipers? If not, I would assume they are quite expensive. I am all about custom work, but sometimes the cost outweighs the benefit.

I have the Akebono kit and I couldn't be happier... well I want the 2 piece rotors but that will be when mine need to be replaced.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Looks aside, there's also a functional reason to reconsider those Porsche brakes. Having a six or eight piston BBK increases the unsprung weight of your Z, and makes little sense for overall handing and performance. After years of racing the Z33 and being mandated to using the OEM Brembos, they perform adequately in D2D with the right pads, brake fluid and lines.

Spending more money to get a custom brake kit for looks and ego? Not a good way to go, my friend.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Porsche caliper swaps are pretty common, but the ones you have chosen actually have a pretty limited selection of pads if I am not mistaken compared to other Porsche calipers.

The brake lines should be compatible and have enough length to work.

Re: fitment, unless you can find a caliper template, I would use the Brembo 6piston GT kit as a guide, but the Porsche calipers actually look slightly bulkier so you are still dealing with unknowns.

Originally Posted by dkmura
Looks aside, there's also a functional reason to reconsider those Porsche brakes. Having a six or eight piston BBK increases the unsprung weight of your Z,
Actually, if you use 2-piece rotors your average 6 piston kit will be lighter than the OEM Brembos, not heavier. The Brembo GT 6 piston kit with 2-piece rotors comes out to ~23lbs per side vs the OEM Brembos which come out to over ~29lbs (using Centric one piece blanks). The 6 piston caliper itself is about 2lbs heavier (both loaded with pads), but the 2 piece rotors are where you save the weight. Obviously if you use 2 piece w the OEM Brembos then it definitely is lighter.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Actually, if you use 2-piece rotors your average 6 piston kit will be lighter than the OEM Brembos, not heavier. The Brembo GT 6 piston kit with 2-piece rotors comes out to ~23lbs per side vs the OEM Brembos which come out to over ~29lbs (using Centric one piece blanks). The 6 piston caliper itself is about 2lbs heavier (both loaded with pads), but the 2 piece rotors are where you save the weight. Obviously if you use 2 piece w the OEM Brembos then it definitely is lighter.
Maybe we're simply splitting hairs here. The OP wanted a cheap and easy way to upgrade from the OEM brake package. My point is the OEM Brembos can do that and have no fitment problems with the LMGT4 wheels. They also accomplish this while using (relatively) cheap one-piece rotors while avoiding the cost of building custom brackets.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM
guitman32

^Couldnt agree with you more, on all your points.

To empathize a little bit with the OP...IMO the Porsche calipers actually dont look that sporty, they have that characteristic boxy factory car caliper look.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:49 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW - Our 4p and 6p 355mm (14") BBK's BARELY clear the barrel on my OE G sedan 18"s (clears spokes with the help of a 20mm spacer), and I would be surprised if the mass produced cast Porsche calipers fit in a smaller profile than our forged Al caliper designs, so I'm guessing no - though LMGT4 wheels undoubtedly have better clearance than my 18"s.... so I guess what I'm saying is I have no idea but I like the sound of this project :P
Old 07-09-2018, 04:19 PM
guitman32

^Yes, and to your point I forgot to mention that when I suggested the caliper templates, the off the shelf Brembo GT 6-piston 355mm kit normally DOES NOT fit under 18" wheels. So it is a good reference.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

How easy are pad changes on the Porsche? On my brother's Boxster GTS you have to remove the entire caliper just to change pads. For my Akebono's you just pull the pins.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
SpartaEvolution

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
How easy are pad changes on the Porsche? On my brother's Boxster GTS you have to remove the entire caliper just to change pads. For my Akebono's you just pull the pins.
None of the the OE Brembo 6p calipers I've seen have removable or swing bridges, so yes you'd have to pull the caliper to change pads.

Pro-Tip: Buy a set of large 'S' hooks to hang the caliper, much easier than zip ties!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 AM
savedbygrace

You guys are great, thanks for all the on-point help, and everyone's points are taken.

Yes, it's a questionable project on a practical level (which is part of what I'm trying to assess....how practical would the final product be regarding change of steering feel, pad selection, not concerned about pad swaps as I'm not afraid of work...everything I've worked to accomplish on the Z has been worth it since it's just such a great car to begin with). I just daily drive the car with some fun in safe places, so I'm not tooo concerned about unsprung weight, but I also appreciate good steering response and so since I'm not all that knowledgeable in feeling what heavier wheels bring to a daily driver table I figured I'd ask for input. Still have no idea if I'd be disappointed.

On the cost side, cost will be very minimal as I have things to trade out for the calipers.

The bracket is already done actually, someone else is supplying that if I decide to do this.

Pad choice is one of my motivators, as Akebono pad selection is minimal and I've been curious about Ferrodo and Yellow Stuff, neither of which is made for Akebono, but....I'm daily driver, so Posiquiets that I've run in the past is probably what I'd do again.

I need to see these Porsche calipers in person and get or make a template...as I don't like puffy bulky look either, but the bulk seems like it would be hidden, I'm just interested in the side view and Akebono's look a little chubby to me in profile versus that long sleek look of 6 piston calipers.

Or....is there a deal somewhere for unpainted refurbished Brembo 6 pistons that fit the Z like there are for a lot of the Brembo calipers? I'm fine with painting or powder coating the calipers myself. I can get access to a powder coating gun and oven or just buy one. Calipers can be had for $200 each many times if someone is willing to do the work, but I haven't seen or uber looked for Brembo 6 pistons.

Deep down I'm really wanting to do this, as I know I'm not 100% in love with the Akebono look and I already know performance wise the Akebono's will basically be the same as non-Brembo oem since Nissan did a fantastic job with those brakes unless you're more tracker than slacker.

Appreciate the help gang, all other input always welcome,

Saved

PS - oh...and yes...I am doing this primarily for looks but not ego...I just want a great looking car that I love to drive...now I'm just dressing it up knowing it's not going to give me huge performance gains but....if I ever add power then I like the idea of having 6 piston big pads up front already. But DK you're right....I'm just having fun if I can for cheap, but just to enjoy the looks and laugh at myself without becoming the king of ding a ling bling.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM
heyyouduh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one can tell you since we don't know what the custom made brackets are... but since they're already made and sounds like you can have the porsche calipers for cheap, then best bet is probably to try them on in a trial and error process. you can document your findings to contribute to the general knowledge here.

that said, agree with everyone else that pad selection, brake bias/safety are concerns you can't ignore, a lot of BBK set ups increase braking distance.

In general "I can get X part for cheap can they work with Y on the Z" posts more often than not end up being not as cheap and more work than expected.

If looks are your concern, there's several cheaper BBK selections.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 AM
savedbygrace

What do you mean by there's plenty of cheaper bbk's? Curious what you might suggest?

I just need the front calipers that fit 14" rotors. Hoping for something bigger than standard Brembo's or Akebonos, love the look of Endless calipers. Anything you might know I'd love to learn about.

Saved

PS - yes I know the 14" rotors fit Akebonos and not the regular Brembo's on a Z just in case anyone thinks I'm inferring the 14" rotors I mentioned will fit oem Brembos. OEM rotors for Brembos are a little smaller than 14".

Last edited by savedbygrace; 07-11-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 AM
heyyouduh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
What do you mean by there's plenty of cheaper bbk's? Curious what you might suggest?

I just need the front calipers that fit 14" rotors. Hoping for something bigger than standard Brembo's or Akebonos, love the look of Endless calipers. Anything you might know I'd love to learn about.

Saved

PS - yes I know the 14" rotors fit Akebonos and not the regular Brembo's on a Z just in case anyone thinks I'm inferring the 14" rotors I mentioned will fit oem Brembos. OEM rotors for Brembos are a little smaller than 14".
There was several companies like Megan and some others I can't remember off the top of my head making BBKs that are cheaper than Stoptechs, non OEM Brembos etc. Can't comment on their quality but they looked pretty enough. Some also had luck fitting Wilwood calipers. When I was looking years ago I don't think Wilwood had an off the shelf solution for Z33 but their caliper selection is big and pad selection is great, and alot of ppl use them so finding parts will be cheaper/easier.

With regards to fitting those Porsche calipers to your wheels, you mentioned the bracket for the caliper has been made, I'm saying we can't venture a guess regarding fitment because we don't know what/how the custom bracket looks like.

Edit: an idea to estimate fitment is to search to see if those calipers fit 18" wheels on the car they came from -- however this will still just be an estimate as how they're mounted on the Z33 by the custom brackets will affect clearance.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-11-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM
guitman32

A set of Porsche 6 pistons runs for under $400...that is what is motivating the OP and what makes the Porsche caliper swap so popular.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
A set of Porsche 6 pistons runs for under $400...that is what is motivating the OP and what makes the Porsche caliper swap so popular.
Reman Akebonos can be had at that price. You just need to paint them unless your good with unfinished aluminum.

Pad selection seems fine for Akebonos. I've run EBC Yellow, Blue, Hawk HPS and Carbotech.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

+1 for Akebono. Plenty of pad selections
Old 07-12-2018, 06:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I find this all academic. In MY (ever so humble, ahem) OPINION...

On my non-Z, I have 8 piston, 4-pads/caliper forged front calipers and 380mm rotors that have a bling name on them. Interestingly enough, have never given the look of them a second thought. They work like tossing anchors out each side window and that's all I need.

Conversely, I feel exactly the same way about my OE non-Brembos on the Z. I never even look at them. They work for how I drive.

Maybe these would meet the needs?

I know....

Chill out, I'm just kiddin' around.

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-12-2018 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

ha ha ha Mic!

I want to get a set of those and install them over my APs just to mess with people...

Quick Reply: Porsche 6 piston clear LMGT4?