Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

new old guy trying to piece together 04 Base headers and cars with Borla exhaust

Old 08-04-2018, 07:51 AM
SpidArman

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new old guy trying to piece together 04 Base headers and cars with Borla exhaust

Hello,

I recently purchased an 04 Base with 115k miles. It's a non abused car. Always wanted a Z car and I am loving it.

Last week, a ground hog took residence above my transmission and in the process ate the driver's side upstream O2 wiring. No biggie I thought. I jumped in and removed the clip from the harness and put my socket on the O2 stub with a big *** breaker bar. BANG. The mother f'er ripped the O2 sensor with the bung off the manifold. No biggie I thought. I will just take it off and either get a used one or take it off and have it welded. Not just yet. I looked at the rest of the original exhaust and saw the flanges for the cats are really rusted as is the rest of the exhaust. Taking it apart will just crumble in my hands. So this leads me to my quest. for help from the forum. I will preface the questions with; "yes, I have looked at many, many threads". I am looking for advice for headers and cats using the Borla cat back system I already have.

I found a used Borla on Ebay for a great price. I am a bit older than most of you, so loud isn't a priority. I was thinking about using Borla headers to complete the look. I found some open box headers on Ebay, but they just sold. So now they are running around $720. It is a little pricey. I am looking for easy fit, hp gains and no rasp or drone. Question to you out there, any brand fall into the easy fit, not too expensive price and good performance category? Also, for cats, are Berks good quality for around $450 Plug and play is important here.

Finally, should I undertake this job myself? I have tools, skills and knowledge, but not a lot of spare time. I could give this project a weekend or two if necessary. My main concern is breaking exhaust studs. Do you guys see them break often when removing manifolds? If so, I may just punt if off to a tuner shop and let them do it. They quoted me anywhere from $600 to $800 labor for the job. Again, I am just trying to save a little money overall as this repair is definitely not planned for.

Thanks I really appreciate the knowledge on the forum.

Arman
Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Never had an issue breaking studs, but the nuts are made of silly putty
Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM
ajpasa

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey, I have been looking for exhausts also, and Berkshire seem the good choice, but I'm still to tackle the exhaust in the car. What I can say is that everywhere I read or see videos, changing the headers seems to be a PITA. I would say it's better to pay for someone to do it.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 PM
SpidArman

Default Scored a set of DC Sports stainless headers on the 'bay

Like the title says, I scored a set of used stainless DC headers on eBay. They're used but in good shape. Next will be the Berks high flow cats. Those will have to be new. Then for some Bosch O2 sensors, Nissan exhaust manifold gaskets and hangers...

I read that the Megan headers have the same primary tube diameters as stock to avoid rattles at the column under suspension loading. Is that true?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 AM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have those headers stock cats and a Nismo exhaust. I like how it sounds. I would like to do highflows but I’m nervous it would ruin my sound now.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I don't think the repair will be quick nor easy ... the headers have the worst ratio of installation pain in the *** factor : performance gains. So expect the work to take longer than you think and expect the gains to be less than you anticipate. Also consider getting a tune if you want to optimize the exhaust setup at the end of the day. But seriously, 10hp gain after a tune for a full exhaust.

The rasp and drone will come from the cats/test pipes and exhaust. I'd look into high flow cats to accompany your exhaust. There are plenty headers out there, just buy a quality name brand. If you want a set of used OEM headers I have a few sets from engines I've parted out I can get out to you if you aren't finding any luck with aftermarket headers - PM me if you want them.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM
SpidArman

Hey Bealljk,

Man, I will never say you didn't try to warn me...

I spent about 12 hours over the last two days trying to do this exhaust change. I had a partial excuse, I had to change the manifold because I broke the O2 sensor bung off my driver's side manifold. I did this trying to change a 02 Sensor that was eaten by a ground hog. The rest of the exhaust was rusty, so I knew that I would never be able to just unbolt the system from the manifold back. Like a little kid, I said, "F" it, while I'm here, might as well just go for the whole enchilada.

You guys are correct. It's a 15 mother F'er job. I am only half way done. so far. There is still one bolt at the front of the passenger side to remove and I am trying to figure out the least difficult way to get it. I am trying not to have to drain the coolant. But it isn't done quite yet. I also have a steering knuckle that wont compress to go back over the rack spindle and nuts that are now partially covered by the header tubes

I will say that this is the biggest pain in the butt for such a small return of performance I have ever done. And if you are still reading this, make sure you have friends to help. Dropped tools and constantly having to switch from above the car to below the car was a major headache.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:29 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Its all good Arman! The more you suffer the more it shows you really care!!!

So while you're there consider new O2 sensors (which I bet you already have) and slop enough copper anti-seize paste to choke a horse on the O2 sensor threads, hardware threads, and possibly the mating surfaces of the exhaust pieces.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

most people that i know that added headers, took the motor out. honestly, prob would have been quicker if you did this
Old 09-26-2018, 04:54 AM
SpidArman

Originally Posted by travlee
most people that i know that added headers, took the motor out. honestly, prob would have been quicker if you did this
You know, I considered it, but since I had to do it outside, I was afraid that I would have to leave it partially disassembled in the elements if I didn't get it done in a day. (although, now I wish I had removed the motor)