Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Anglikan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning mods

Hello everyone! I’ve heard of this website for a quite a while and decided to come here for help. I’ve had my 2004 touring 350z for a little over a year and I’m ready to move away from (mostly) stock. I already have an intake and exhaust on her, but I was never really taught about cars as a kid so I don’t really know much. I understand some most of the basics but I was just looking for some help on first mods, or places to learn about what more I should do with my Z. If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome, the type of modifications will depend on what you want to do with the car. You say you have an intake and exhaust, you have to consider if it's worth it to bother with any extra power mods besides those.

On a 2004 I would look into replacing worn bushings, and ball joints/ tie rods, if they are bad.
Also changing fluids if you have no record of changing them.

A good way to search using Google is:
"what you want to search for" site:my350z.com.
It is likely that what you want to ask, has been covered many times over.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chihuahuamaster:
rustyschopshop (12-13-2018), Spike100 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Anglikan

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster
Welcome, the type of modifications will depend on what you want to do with the car. You say you have an intake and exhaust, you have to consider if it's worth it to bother with any extra power mods besides those.

On a 2004 I would look into replacing worn bushings, and ball joints/ tie rods, if they are bad.
Also changing fluids if you have no record of changing them.

A good way to search using Google is:
"what you want to search for" site:my350z.com.
It is likely that what you want to ask, has been covered many times over.
well, it’s my daily driver. Lots of straight shots on back roads and a few nice turns I like to send it around. Yes, I desperately need to go around and replace all those, I’ve had a bad problem with my clutch making very loud rattles below 2k rpm. I keep my oil changes regular but that’s about it. If there’s any critical fluids I should be changing regularly as my oil please let me know, I would hate to keep abusing my car by not know what to keep up with.

Ive been making a lot of money to have a fun with, and everything I research on things like turbos, fuel injectors, and high flow cats, it’s all confusing. I get many different answers on weather I need certain mods before I add another. Such as, people saying I MUST have better fuel injectors, but others say it’s no problem at all. I just don’t want to buy mods for my car and break it because I didn’t get something else. (Fist things first though, new rims. Any suggestions?) thank you,
Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Anglikan
well, it’s my daily driver. Lots of straight shots on back roads and a few nice turns I like to send it around. Yes, I desperately need to go around and replace all those, I’ve had a bad problem with my clutch making very loud rattles below 2k rpm. I keep my oil changes regular but that’s about it. If there’s any critical fluids I should be changing regularly as my oil please let me know, I would hate to keep abusing my car by not know what to keep up with.

Ive been making a lot of money to have a fun with, and everything I research on things like turbos, fuel injectors, and high flow cats, it’s all confusing. I get many different answers on weather I need certain mods before I add another. Such as, people saying I MUST have better fuel injectors, but others say it’s no problem at all. I just don’t want to buy mods for my car and break it because I didn’t get something else. (Fist things first though, new rims. Any suggestions?) thank you,
No offense OP, but you seem rather unknowledgeable when it comes to cars, and more importantly, your Z. Best advice is to keep reading and doing research. This site has a lot of useful info about maintenance, DIYs, etc. Everyone also has a different opinion on what the best _____ is. There are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself. Are you staying N/A or are you going F/I? Is your budget $3,500 or $35,000? Do you want more focus on suspension upgrades or are you trying to go as fast as possible in a straight line? You get the idea...

Read this: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html

Then this: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Well I would definitely take care of maintenance or any known problems before modifying anything else.
It's normal to hear some flywheel chatter at low rpms, but you will have to see if there's a real issue there.

As for fluids; coolant, transmission, and differential are the main ones. But these dont need to be changed as much as oil. I personally change these around 50k miles.

Thinking of turbos, you are getting to a whole different level of mechanical knowledge required, as well as cost. And in my experience, you can throw reliability/ daily driver, out of the question, when you add boost.

There are many wheel choices. The main thing to keep in mind is wheel width, and offset. You could also look into used take off wheels, from a 370z or similar. There are some nice looking options, and they are forged.

Again, all of these things will take alot of research and planning.
The following users liked this post:
Anglikan (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 PM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Anglikan! All previous advice is very good. I have a lightly modded '05 Z as well so I have a feel for your situation.

-God forbid your front end ever get damaged (covered by insurance), tell the shop to order the '06 bumper cover. It'll cost you an extra $200 plus the two grill pieces.
-I also bought a used set of 06 wheels that are lighter and look better for 500 bucks.
-Urethane control arm bushings are great for the car but a super B to install them so get a friend whose handy. Apply the same to your diff bushings for crisper power transfer.
-I just spent 450 bucks upgrading the brakes to 06's. It's dual piston and wider diameter disks. Better braking for half the price of BBK's Write-up thread with pics
-Assuming your exhaust and mid-pipe are wider diameter than stock you can upgrade your y-pipe and get high flow cats. but you wont see any real gains unless you dyno tune. Thats gonna be 400-700 so that's down the road.

Start easy and build your wrenching skills man. There are alot of rusty and highly torqued bolts on your car so the right tools make the difference between getting the job done at 6PM or midnight. Ask me how I know.

Welcome to the forum
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Bear with me people, but it's been a while and it's time to pull out my now only once-annually line.....

Driver's school.

Or track days, autocross, etc.

There is NO better way to spend money to enjoy a car (ANY car) than to learn how to properly operate it.... go, brake, turn, stop. Knowing how to better manage your car at speed is something that requires NO hardware and it's the only "modification" that transfers to EVERY car you'll ever own without further wrenching, money dumping... just add practice.

Side benefit of "Driver modification" is it gives you a clearer understanding of what you (not your car) need to make your car do what you want it to do to suit your driving; e.g., it understeers.... add swaybars and adjust.... it bounces too much on dips, add both way adjustable shocks... etc. etc. That way, the car becomes suited to YOU, not the other way around.

There, said it. Haha....
The following 5 users liked this post by MicVelo:
Anglikan (12-14-2018), dkmura (12-14-2018), khnitz (12-14-2018), RobPhoboS (12-18-2018), Spike100 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Anglikan

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
No offense OP, but you seem rather unknowledgeable when it comes to cars, and more importantly, your Z. Best advice is to keep reading and doing research. This site has a lot of useful info about maintenance, DIYs, etc. Everyone also has a different opinion on what the best _____ is. There are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself. Are you staying N/A or are you going F/I? Is your budget $3,500 or $35,000? Do you want more focus on suspension upgrades or are you trying to go as fast as possible in a straight line? You get the idea...

Read this: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html

Then this: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html
As i said in my original post, i have never learned much about cars in general, thats why i came here, i hoped to get some useful advice, which i have been getting that. also, maybe no so much as a straight shot car, but more looks with a little modding to make it just a bit faster, i dont want a track car but i want something a little more than what i have.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:01 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I would go with diff bushings, and then a zspeed under shrowd
​​
Old 12-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

As i said in my original post, i have never learned much about cars in general, thats why i came here, i hoped to get some useful advice, which i have been getting that. also, maybe no so much as a straight shot car, but more looks with a little modding to make it just a bit faster, i dont want a track car but i want something a little more than what i have.
If you've got between $2,500-$3,500 (range because of quality), you'll gain at most around 40 whp with bolt-ons and a tune. If you want to break 300 at the wheels N/A, it is possible, but you'll likely need to go F/I.

Even though I've just about maxed out my "power mods," I still feel like the best (or most fun) mods have been done to the suspension and upgraded clutch/flywheel. Slap on some lightweight wheels and sticky tires, and the Z comes alive
Old 12-14-2018, 06:30 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I have suspension mods, and light weight wheels and my Z just died in the middle of driving... I just put it in first and let orr the clutch and it started right back up... But that wasn't cool...

So I'm going to change my recommendation to ummm differential bushings and the Z speed undershrowd.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:04 AM
Shoomakan

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So, in your situation I'd tackle things like this.

1. Make sure fluids, spark plugs, injectors and air filter are fresh.
2. Address your clutch/flywheel issue. Get a single mass flywheel in there with a stock clutch kit. That'll be fine for however much power you make without a turbo or supercharger. (SMFW = ~$400)
3. Make sure all bushings are fine, replace as necessary. Either OEM or a polyurethane aftermarket solution. But those get pricey quick.
4. Add a plenum spacer and a Y-pipe to your car. ($~450)
5. Re tune the car. (~$550)
6. Add a set of stiffer swaybars (non adjustable are fine, don't be duped into buying expensive adjustable units if your car is a street car that doesn't live on the track). (~$300)
7. Shock and spring combo. I have tried and highly recommend the Bilstein B12 kit. (~$1000)

I think the above is what makes a Z the way it should have been from the factory in terms of power and handling. It'll be reliable, fun, not too stiff, and still perfectly manageable to drive every day. If your budget won't allow that much money thrown at it I'd start with 1, 2, 3, and 6 and/or 7.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:40 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Hello everyone! I’ve heard of this website for a quite a while and decided to come here for help. I’ve had my 2004 touring 350z for a little over a year and I’m ready to move away from (mostly) stock. I already have an intake and exhaust on her, but I was never really taught about cars as a kid so I don’t really know much. I understand some most of the basics but I was just looking for some help on first mods, or places to learn about what more I should do with my Z. If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!
Hit it with a cool 250 shot of n2o and call it a day, but don't forget to make a vid of the 1st time you use it. Can't beat n2o dollar per hp/tq.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

When people say change your fluids.. .Make sure you do your bake fluid.

Who cares how fast you can go if you can't stop.

Get that clutch fixed.
Brake fluid
Stainless Brake Lines
Brake Pads

Late braking means you can make a viper give you a point by.

Last edited by Franknbeans; 12-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 AM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha!
Agree with above ideas completely. For me thus far best mods are:
1) Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
2) Lighter 19" wheels from Advanti (about 23 pounds each)
3) Plenum Spacer
4) Replacing old *** headlights that were hazed up with some fresh ones
5) Gotta get a gearshift **** that you like!

I've already had lots of driving school classes in the past - they're really useful too for getting the most out of the car. Autocross too...