Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

slip light & VDC Off Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:47 PM
zatalluvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slip light & VDC Off Lights

hello, i own a 2003 nissan 350z and im having a problem with the VDC System. when i start the car and start moving it the front left wheel begins to brake on its own and the slip light flashes when this happens. after it does it a few times the VDC OFF Light comes on and the problem goes away. if anyone has any experience with this issue some help would go a long way! thanks to anyone that helps!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

There's most likely a problem with your wheel speed sensor. Do you have access to a code reader to get the diagnostic system to confirm it?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:54 PM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Is your ABS light on? A wheel speed sensor problem would probably give you an ABS light as well.
If you have a code reader, make sure it can read ABS faults. Some simple code readers only read engine faults.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:28 AM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure you are fixing the issue before too long. This issue destroy my ABS unit and I had to replace it after less than a week.
Your problem is the ABS speed sensors located in the front wheel hubs.
1. Make sure the cables are routed away from wheel/brakes. Inspect and make sure there is no abrasion or cut.
2. Next is to check the metal tab that holds the sensor in place. They can bend easily ( if you pull on the cable) and will not provide a good reading if not flush.

if it doesn't work, you'll need a code reader that can read CANbus for wheel speed info or ABS. not many do that unfortunately. Or bring it to Nissan for diagnostic. Then you'll know exactly which speed sensor is bad.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:40 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have personal experience with this exact same issue...

I believe this is related to the steering angle sensor located behind the steering wheel. Its mounted directly behind the clock spring, on the steering wheel. I just upgraded my 03 to an 06 steering wheel to have the audio control buttons from the 06, and had to alter the wiring and install a new clock spring t support the additional wires. When I transferred my existing steering angle sensor, I had to recalibrate it to prevent the TCS from going crazy on turns (slip and VDC off lights come on)--if I drove straight it was ok, but the minute I tried to turn, the car went haywire. So, my guess is the steering angle sensor went bad or needs recalibrated, but if you didn't mess with it, it shoudl not need calibrated. The job is kind of a pain, maybe an hour to 2 hours, to replace. The angle sesnor at the dealership will be expensive, like $700, not including labor. I have a spare one I can sell you (not for $700 either) but you will need to recalibrate it with an advanced scan tool that supports Nissan ABS work functions.I have heard people say that the dealerships may charge anywhere for $50 to 175 to cal the SAS.

For now, if its your daily driver, be sure to turn the TCS (VDC off) when you start the car and you will be fine until you get this fixed, otherwise an improperly cal'd or non functional SAS (steerign angle sensor) will beat on your ABS system and make the car very hard to drive, and could cause an accident if you aren't careful.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM
zatalluvia

Sorry for the later response everyone I’ve been trying to get my hands on a scammer that can read the abs codes. I believe it is something to do with the recalibration if that unit.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM
zatalluvia

Originally Posted by onecoolee
I have personal experience with this exact same issue...

I believe this is related to the steering angle sensor located behind the steering wheel. Its mounted directly behind the clock spring, on the steering wheel. I just upgraded my 03 to an 06 steering wheel to have the audio control buttons from the 06, and had to alter the wiring and install a new clock spring t support the additional wires. When I transferred my existing steering angle sensor, I had to recalibrate it to prevent the TCS from going crazy on turns (slip and VDC off lights come on)--if I drove straight it was ok, but the minute I tried to turn, the car went haywire. So, my guess is the steering angle sensor went bad or needs recalibrated, but if you didn't mess with it, it shoudl not need calibrated. The job is kind of a pain, maybe an hour to 2 hours, to replace. The angle sesnor at the dealership will be expensive, like $700, not including labor. I have a spare one I can sell you (not for $700 either) but you will need to recalibrate it with an advanced scan tool that supports Nissan ABS work functions.I have heard people say that the dealerships may charge anywhere for $50 to 175 to cal the SAS.

For now, if its your daily driver, be sure to turn the TCS (VDC off) when you start the car and you will be fine until you get this fixed, otherwise an improperly cal'd or non functional SAS (steerign angle sensor) will beat on your ABS system and make the car very hard to drive, and could cause an accident if you aren't careful.
how much are you willing to let it go for?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:54 AM
onecoolee

Originally Posted by zatalluvia

how much are you willing to let it go for?
PM incoming.

I can look up the model of my scanner, if you are looking to do a ABS-SAS reset. You have to pay $200 (up to about $4k) or more for the scanners that have work support for ABS. Sadly, there are only a handful that actually work properly, even though the scanner manufacturers say they support SAS reset...which I found to be totally false. I have confirmed the tool that I have does work though, and I can actually watch the degrees change when I turn the wheel in either direction... TDC or straight ahead should read 0 degrees though, so after calibration with the wheels pointed striaght, it will be 0. My scanner is also supposed to support TPMS functions, but I have not tried those or needed anything outside of the ABS work support so far. I can post the manufacturer and model here, if needed for the community--I am 99.9% sure its a Foxwell NT650.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of scanner do you have that supports SAS??? Does it also work with the resetting of the TPMS sensors??

THANKS

Last edited by striker27; 03-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 AM
onecoolee

Originally Posted by striker27
What type of scanner do you have that supports SAS??? Does it also work with the resetting of the TPMS sensors??

THANKS
Please read my response in your other thread regarding the tool I have... its a Foxwell NT650.

Yes, it claims to do TPMS, but I believe that you will need the RF tool too to wake up and initilize the valve stems. I have that too, but I can't remember the model now... they are usually orange or red, and have a short but thick black antenna. I bought mine on Ebay pretty cheap.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:02 AM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info on the reset tool for the TPMS I am fairly new to the whole scanner tool market. Did not know they need to be reset! If you cone across a number for and make for the reset tool that would be appreciated!!

thAnks
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM
onecoolee

Originally Posted by striker27
Thanks for the info on the reset tool for the TPMS I am fairly new to the whole scanner tool market. Did not know they need to be reset! If you cone across a number for and make for the reset tool that would be appreciated!!

thAnks
EL-50448 is the tool.

You need to force the TPMS system into learn mode, then use the RF tool to initialize the individual stems in the proper order (FL, FR, RR, RL)... that should make the blinking light stop. If you don't have the tools, you can force the learn by jumpering the TPMS connector to gnd (5x in 10secs after key on), and then use the RF tool, or without the tool, set the pressures according to the service manual and drive the car for a few minutes until it registers the sensors. Download the pages from the FSM and you will see how to do it, without even needing any tools. I know this works on an 03-06... not sure about other years.

If you need to calibrate your SAS or do other work, you will probably need a decent scan tool with work functions/support.