Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Going for broke, Vortech Ti/Nitrous Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:57 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Going for broke, Vortech Ti/Nitrous Build

I wanted to make a new thread to make updates a little easier to follow since I had most of my major questions answered. (Thanks to the lot of you!)

My end goal ~900whp with nitrous, 750whp w/o. (This car will be tracked on the strip)

Originally Posted by 0taku
Here's my build thus far:

Vortech V2 Ti Trim
Billet idler pulleys
GTM tensioner
3.00 ZPE Griptec Pulley
34/28 Cogs
Timrod Radius Rod
Fluidampr Damper Crank Pulley
Kinetix SSV (with reinforced welding)
NWP 75mm Throttle Body
Tomei PONCAMs 256in/256ex
JWT Valve springs/shims
Ferrea Valves
Tial Q 50mm BOV (2 psi Spring)
CJM Stage S3 Fuel Return system
CJM Twin fuel Pumps
GM Flexfuel Sensor
Bosch 2200cc Injectors
Aeromotive Inline Fuel Filter (10 micron glass)
OEM Revup Oil pump
3in. MAF Tube
Weisco 11:1 Pistons (95.5 stock spec)
K1 H Beam Rods
ACL Rod/Main bearings
ARP L19 Studs
Cometic Head Gasket
Link G4 Standalone
Treadstone 1245 Intercooler
Motordyne TDX 2 Shockwave w/ XYZ pipe.
OBX Long Tube Headers
WB Wideband
AEM Boost gauge
AEM Oil Temp gauge
Glowshift Fuel Pressure Gauge
Mishimoto Radiator with Mishimoto Fan shroud modified for SPAL fans.
Z1 Master silicon hose set
Nismo Thermostat
Mishimoto Oil cooler
OS Giken Twin Disc Clutch

So I'll keep my updates here:

2/15/2019:

Car has been completed for a time, was mostly waiting on the dyno. The shop ran into problems with their new dyno and the ground wasn't even. After a couple months of wait the dyno is finally up and running again.

If all being well, the car should be getting numbers sometime next week. (Or be another victim of problems)

I'm not aware of any other Ti builds out there running the 2.87/E85/11:1 combo yet so it'll be fun being the first. Although I might have to reduce to the 3.12 depending on belt slip.

3/12/2019

TL;DR - Car was about to enter the dyno, battery was dead. The parts store lost the battery and finally they decided to give me a temporary replacement while they still investigate for some reason rather just give me a new battery.

Got sent to the end of the Dyno queue sadly, but I told my tuner it was fine since it's not a big hurry.

*Kind of entertaining the idea of going with a powerglide. Sometime next week all the vinyl will be ripped off since it's aging real bad now. (Had it on for 4 years now)

Last edited by 0taku; 09-22-2020 at 04:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 0taku:
BigBlue (02-20-2019), OldManZ350 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Subscribed!
Anyway a turbo guy could convince you to add an oil cooler?

and yay! Link G4!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:20 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by bealljk
Subscribed!
Anyway a turbo guy could convince you to add an oil cooler?

and yay! Link G4!
Already has one

I'm surprised more people haven't hopped on the G4 cheap bandwagon yet.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:29 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Already has one

I'm surprised more people haven't hopped on the G4 cheap bandwagon yet.
How cheap is cheap?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wizard
How cheap is cheap?

i think g4 is like 1600. Which for a standalone is cheap. Quite a bit less than haltech
Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 AM
0taku

Originally Posted by jdm-v35

i think g4 is like 1600. Which for a standalone is cheap. Quite a bit less than haltech
I got mine for a 1000$, helps that my tuner is a dealer for them. but they normally go for 1200$. Which is almost half the price of a haltech. (No one cares for the crap AEM)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM
wizard

I got mine for a 1000$, helps that my tuner is a dealer for them. but they normally go for 1200$. Which is almost half the price of a haltech. (No one cares for the crap AEM)
my tuner offered me aem i think for quite cheap, are they ****?
really like the syvecs, but it costs bucks!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

How cheap is cheap?
I paid $1300 for mine, put another $400 in high quality sensors to monitor oil, fuel and coolant pressure. Mine included base-maps to get me up and going.

Haltech plugged their standalone for $1200 for a weekend but I dont know if you can get a haltech for less than $2k??

my tuner offered me aem i think for quite cheap, are they ****? really like the syvecs, but it costs bucks!
do your research on the AEM stuff. AEM came out with the infinity and it's not a bad platform but I believe they have different models. Just do your research, that's all I'm saying.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 PM
0taku

The big beef I have against AEM is their atrocious customer support and turn around times. Took them three weeks to return my wideband only not to fix anything and told me to replace the sensor. (Which didn’t fix the problem btw)

Another friend is fighting with his problematic Infinity.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

The big beef I have against AEM is their atrocious customer support and turn around times. Took them three weeks to return my wideband only not to fix anything and told me to replace the sensor. (Which didn’t fix the problem btw)

Another friend is fighting with his problematic Infinity.
go with link - they have a customer service text/chat that is available expanded Australian / New Zealand hours and they were extremely helpful when I needed helping wiring things in and confirming my setup. I probably used the chat service 4 times.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:27 AM
wizard

Just stick with Uprev lads! lol

Quick question for 0taku - given your high power goals, why didn't you opt for the YSI blower?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma myself at the moment on this.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Quick question for 0taku - given your high power goals, why didn't you opt for the YSI blower?

i like uprev and it’s a great platform but past 10-12psi it’s my opinion that it’s better to go with a stand-alone - they have more & better features that will optimize your build. Not that people aren’t making good/big power with uprev (bc they are) but the OEM ecu can only handle so much.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 AM
wizard

Originally Posted by bealljk

i like uprev and it’s a great platform but past 10-12psi it’s my opinion that it’s better to go with a stand-alone - they have more & better features that will optimize your build. Not that people aren’t making good/big power with uprev (bc they are) but the OEM ecu can only handle so much.
not sure i agree
i am running well over 12 psi and car has been fine ecu wise. The limitations are the maf housing no?

unless you mean adding nitrous/e85/race fuel flexfuel whatever type maps?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

not sure i agree
i am running well over 12 psi and car has been fine ecu wise. The limitations are the maf housing no?

To each his own ... Im not mad at anyone for running Uprev and my OEM ecu is modified by Uprev and I think they have great customer service and the prices they charge are low with respect to A. the industry as a whole and B. the value they provide. I like Uprev and let it be known that they get my blessing.

The flip-side and not to say that you can't make big power with uprev (bc you can - you're limited on features). The flip side being that youre limited essentially to the OEM ECU. I personally believe VE/speed density/MAP tuning is better than MAF tuning. Uprev doesnt have features like launch control, antilag(which I'm not a fan of anyways and I dont use it on my link), or the ability to flat-shift (oh one day!!!), they dont have a boost control solenoid feature, I dont think uprev has a datalogging solution unless you pay a premium, I'm not sure you can control individual cylinder fuel trims or allow staged fuel injectors, Uprev doesnt have fail safes to shut down the car if fuel/oil pressure drops, or coolant, pressure spikes (or other user defined parameters), I dont think uprev will allow you to access the ECU and change pin assignments, does uprev allow you to mess with the VTC timing/programming? Can you control cooling fan activation? will uprev allow idle control? does uprev allow you to adjust the traction control (this is a double edge sword!!!)?

I'm not ******* on Uprev - I hope that's clear that I think they are the best bargain in tuning for our engine and a great option and solution. And in any market competition is key ... without uprev the Haltech, Links, AEM, Motecs wouldnt be what they are today.

5pm Edit: If I'm messed up on anything above ^^^ please call me on it as I do not know 100% all of Uprevs features ... feel free to educate me on it if I'm misspoken.

Last edited by bealljk; 02-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I've been Using A Split Second Box for 14 years, with 19-20psi and Stock MAF and Stock Housing.... 578WHP

It works very Well, if you Understand how to Use it!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

In some states like NY you can't pass inspection with standalone so the only option is OEM ECU
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
I've been Using A Split Second Box for 14 years, with 19-20psi and Stock MAF and Stock Housing.... 578WHP

It works very Well, if you Understand how to Use it!
more than one way to skin a cat...depends on what features and how much you want to spend.

Originally Posted by Staisman
In some states like NY you can't pass inspection with standalone so the only option is OEM ECU
I don’t know of a standalone that is 50state legal. OEM ecu reflash (once again - thank you uprev) or a piggy back
The following users liked this post:
OldManZ350 (02-19-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:49 AM
0taku

not sure i agree

I thought about it quite a bit and considered having a local machine shop doing a 8 rib conversion, but the room and costs were just too high(Also having to buy a new bracket).

I'm just hoping I can nail 750whp without breaking/slipping belts on E85. I planned on going 150 DP spray in the beginning so the YSi would be overkill.

My end goal is 900. The Uprev wont exactly help me with the safeguards I'll need compared to the Link. I originally stopped using Uprev @ 494whp since the idle was a real PITA on 2200cc injectors.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

FYI, The V7 YSi-Trim Fits on the Vortech Bracket.

FYI, Yes making an 8 Rib setup is expensive. But that said, if someone does this, go right to a 10 Rib..... Same Cost.

John has been making 710whp on 93 pump gas with the Ti-Trim, he is Now going to E85.

I thought about it quite a bit and considered having a local machine shop doing a 8 rib conversion, but the room and costs were just too high(Also having to buy a new bracket).

I'm just hoping I can nail 750whp without breaking/slipping belts on E85. I planned on going 150 DP spray in the beginning so the YSi would be overkill.

My end goal is 900. The Uprev wont exactly help me with the safeguards I'll need compared to the Link. I originally stopped using Uprev @ 494whp since the idle was a real PITA on 2200cc injectors.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM
0taku

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
FYI, The V7 YSi-Trim Fits on the Vortech Bracket.

FYI, Yes making an 8 Rib setup is expensive. But that said, if someone does this, go right to a 10 Rib..... Same Cost.

John has been making 710whp on 93 pump gas with the Ti-Trim, he is Now going to E85.
IIRC isn't he also running the 3.12" pulley?

Also updated first post with a few pictures to give an idea of what "itasha" meant.

If anyone is curious about my car having 2 bumper inlets for a DE, it's not aesthetic. The oil cooler sits behind the Nissan emblem and I haven't go around to routing cooling ducts to direct flow yet.

Last edited by 0taku; 02-20-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Going for broke, Vortech Ti/Nitrous Build