Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Dedicated Track Car or Tracking a Modified Daily?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:54 PM
JosephZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dedicated Track Car or Tracking a Modified Daily?

Hello guys,

First post on this forum!

I've owned a Nissan 350z Enthusiast Model (2003) for around 4 months now. I've been really enjoying the car, it looks amazing, it drives amazing.

I am lucky enough to live in Bahrain with cheap fuel and very close to a world class track with fairly cheap track day prices.

I've been getting more and more keen to take my car to the track but I'm worried about damaging it. So this brought about the question in my mind as to whether I modify my current 350z (which is also my daily driver), or to purchase another 350z to take to the track that I can be a bit more ruthless with in terms of modifying. I want to show my car at car events and gatherings too so I'd prefer to keep it to a level that I can still drive it on the road, it just won't be my daily driver.

If anybody has experiences in taking their daily driver 350z to a track that'd be amazing, and whether they would recommend it or recommend to get a new 350z for the track.

One guy recommended taking my daily but just keeping a spare set of wheels for the track to swap over on track days etc. but I still fear for the temperatures in the car killing it in any way. Is this a justified fear or highly uncommon?

A slight follow on question, if you were to get a new 350z to turn into a track car, would it be wiser to grab an older DE model again or grab an HR?

I am NOT looking to break any lap records or compete in races, this is purely for my enjoyment.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome- but this is an old question. Please take some time to read other discussions in this forum for answers that others have sought before you. My suggestion is probably a bit unorthodox, but comes from almost four decades of racing and teaching high-performance driving. Rather than building a car, why not go to Bahrain International and go rent one from a high-performance driving school? Listen to the instructors, begin to build skills and learn to drive before committing to building your own track worthy Z.

One critical point to consider: whether you're racing wheel-to-wheel or just out enjoying driving at the limit, the potential for disaster is raw and real. Do you need a full roll cage, fire system and full restraint system (including HANS device)? Maybe not, but if a critical part breaks at the wrong time, or somebody makes a mistake, or ??? YOU will end up paying a high price. The better your skills get, the closer to the edge you get. Ask me how I know...
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- but this is an old question. Please take some time to read other discussions in this forum for answers that others have sought before you. My suggestion is probably a bit unorthodox, but comes from almost four decades of racing and teaching high-performance driving. Rather than building a car, why not go to Bahrain International and go rent one from a high-performance driving school? Listen to the instructors, begin to build skills and learn to drive before committing to building your own track worthy Z.

One critical point to consider: whether you're racing wheel-to-wheel or just out enjoying driving at the limit, the potential for disaster is raw and real. Do you need a full roll cage, fire system and full restraint system (including HANS device)? Maybe not, but if a critical part breaks at the wrong time, or somebody makes a mistake, or ??? YOU will end up paying a high price. The better your skills get, the closer to the edge you get. Ask me how I know...
^^^ So much this. Straight from the horse's mouth no less.

I personally would have a back up car for daily use before taking anything on track. Not saying it will; but breakage is a much higher probability in track use. Even HPDE takes its toll. When I raced, always had three vehicles at my disposal: the race car, a street car, and the tow rig (Chevy Blazer and a trailer). Not fun trying to get a broke car 100 miles home (or even 30 from Sears).

Pay attention to what dkmura says about safety gear. He knows all about that.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it really depends on how serious you want to get with tracking a car. I don't have much experience in this realm, but if you just wanted to track the car a few times a year, I think you could just take your current car. As has been stated, it's always a risk taking your vehicle on a track, and pushing the limits of you and the car.

If you wanted to track say, a few times a month, then sure it would be best to get another dedicated vehicle, because of the wear and tear, not just on tires. However, then you're also going to have another 'old' car that likely needs maintenance to be 'track ready,' dependent on the car you choose.

As for which engine to get, this will depend on how far you want to take this dedicated track vehicle. Meaning, how do you want to modify it, budget, reliability, horsepower goals, etc... If you want to stay naturally aspirated, I would personally get an HR engine. The engine choice is going to be a very opinionated subject, which i'm sure has been covered countless times.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:21 PM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

deleted!

Last edited by fflipski; 10-21-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: deletion
Old 10-22-2019, 05:40 AM
masterjr33

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Always have a daily.and a race car.

always.. never try to daily a car you race. too much comprise and too much at risk

One bad second on the track and your daily is gone. and most likely not insured if they find out it happened on the track.

what you really need to decide is do you want to track a 350z. or daily a 350z?
or do you want to do both and would need to buy a second one.

if you want to do both i would suggest a SCCA/solo type of event.
where you are in a parking lot. and not door or door. or even racing with another car around.
lowest the chance of large problems. and less risk. less stress or demands on the car.

once you get to the point of wanting to "track" on a track. you need to make sure you have a second vehicle.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I tracked my daily driver Z for years. But, I had an old pick up truck for backup if the worst ever happened. And it did...well, not the worst....but a trip into the tire barrier at VIR in the rain. It cost me a door, three quarter panels, a hatch and a bumper. No insurance coverage for track damage.

So just don't go into it thinking that a wreck can't happen. I was prepared for that possibility mentally but it still sucks and its expensive. Drove the truck until I got the car repaired. And then went back at it.

Now the car is track only and in part due to dkmura's experiences and advice here, I got a roll bar put in by a professional installer, a race seat that was given to me by another member here, 6 point harness and a HAHNs.

It is mostly stock and since it has been wrecked and modified it isn't worth much..............and that's a nice thing too when it comes to putting a car on track.

George
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (02-14-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 01:38 PM
Dr Hoon

Received 282 Likes on 222 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Dr Hoon; 03-26-2023 at 01:39 PM.