Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z paint peeling

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Hentai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 350z paint peeling

I have had my 2006 pearl white 350z for over a year now. The previous owner lived in Arizona. Recently I bought a fat wing for my 350z and needed to drill holes into my trunk to attach it.
So I used regular blue, 3M painters tape to mark out where I would drill my holes. I ended up just making to squares of tape on my trunk where I then measured and drilled holes in. After all the holes where drilled I was removing the tape strand by strand. When I peeled back the tape that was drilled into and some of the surrounding tape, paint was being peeled off with it. I tried to peel all the tape around the holes to minimize the damage, but still quite allot of paint was removed.

My guess is that the Arizona sun probably hurt the paint from years of it, and then the vibration from drilling the holes probably caused the peeling. Either way I am disappointed. I decided to repaint the areas where the paint is peeled off with matched paint form "AutomotiveTouchUp". I just want to paint the peeled parts and not the whole trunk. I know the paint wont match perfectly, but it will be covered by the spoiler anyway so I am not to worried.

I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this. I am scared to section off where I will paint with more tape as I don't want more peeling... I am thinking about soft edging the tape around the peeled area and then when I take the tape off it wont peel more with it. I will also be using automotive painting tape instead this time. My other option is to try and section off the painted area with a box so I do not have to risk peeling more paint off. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a paint peeling issue on an old mustang. I think you'll find that even if you successfully touch up the peeled off section, the surrounding area will begin to peel over time, but it doesn't hurt to try.

If the paint peeled up with painters tape, I wouldn't be surprised if the other spots you tape peel up as well. Although, if the paint is this 'damaged,' I would expect it to flake off even during a car wash.
The following users liked this post:
Hentai (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Hentai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I finished re-painting the car today.

The photos shown are the paint peels before, Primed, Wet sanded, and finished with clear coat.
Before you look at the photos. Here is some context. What the Chiwaawa guy said was right. In one of the photo you can see I used automotive masking tape to cover off the parts of the car I did not want primed. I tried to make the tape less sticky by putting on a wall and stripping it acouple of times. This worked for removing almost all parts of the tape. As I peeled the last bit of tape up (towards the rear of the car) Paint peeled right off again. [I do not have a specific photo of the rip, but you can see it primed]. Again I was even more careful with taping around this section and I ended up priming that part. AGAIN. I was removing masking tape off the very back part that is slanted with the car logos on it. I did not think that paint would be peeling from here as I removed masking tape from this section before with no paint peeling up. To my discovery the paint peeled and I was very sad and had to prime that too.
If you have this same problem as me, for priming maybe dont mask off specific areas. If you want to just prime a certain area I would suggest just putting cardboard down without taping it, or have a box set on top of the area.

Another Issue I ran into and would probably fix is my wet sanding. During the process of painting, after the primer has dried for 30+ minutes, you are suppose to wet sand it with 600 Grit. This does remove allot of the primer. After I finished my paint I discovered that the point of wet sanding is to remove a lot of the primer that is just sitting on the already painted areas. Make sure to remove most of the excess primer, but leaving a little is okay. Failure to remove the excess primer leads to cliffs in the paint job. This wont be noticeable unless you look closely. That being said, do not over wet sand the primer on the plain metal.

All in all I am happy with my paint job. That being said, If I was to do it again I would do somethings different and somethings better, but I am still happy with it! Regarding the outcome, if light is shining over certain areas where I did not wet sand enough, I can see a little cliff of the paint peel. I could've prevented this by wet sanding the edges of the peel with the original paint better. I was able to cover these cliffs up quite a bit with the clear coat however.

For directions for painting I just followed the directions from automotivetouchup's website. I also watched many videos.