Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Huge deals for 350z cars!!

Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Huge deals for 350z cars!!

I recently did a major rebuild on my 2003 Nissan 350z. Before doing this, I was not aware of the large amount of car components available for the 350z until I started searching for parts I needed for my 2003 350z’s rebuild. If you own a 350z and need some parts, you have a huge available inventory in the used/salvage market.

There are many young owners who drive poorly, have an accident, and the result is a totaled car. The car with its salvaged title might be sold inexpensively, but often there is a much greater value selling the car’s parts individually. It is those individual parts you watch for when rebuilding your 350z.

I just purchased a transmission for $400, and it is working flawlessly. It is much better than the CD009 transmission I swapped out of my car. I also purchased additional parts for very low prices.

Last edited by Spike100; 02-19-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 AM
tobythesandwich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is extremely common knowledge. Salvage yards and people have been parting out the FM Chassis for almost 16 years now.

What exaxtly are are you getting at about all this? We have an entire sub forum dedicated to members selling their used parts
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 AM
GEveryday

"How I can afford to own a G35"
Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by tobythesandwich
This is extremely common knowledge. Salvage yards and people have been parting out the FM Chassis for almost 16 years now.
What exaxtly are are you getting at about all this? We have an entire sub forum dedicated to members selling their used parts
I'm gonna pop some tags
Only got four hundred dollars in my pocket
I'm, I'm, I'm hunting, looking for a come up
This is f***ing awesome.

Walk into the club like "What up? I got a big cak!"
Nah, I'm just pumped, bought some tranny from a thrift shop!

Spike just scored a come up, no need to rain on the dude's parade.
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM
Spike100

Yeah. I was surprised to get a good transmission for $400.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I hope you replaced the CD009 with another CD009.
-Icer
Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Spike100

It is either a CD009 or CD00A . I think the only way to know is from the serial number. The transmission is not stamped with a CD00* code.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by tobythesandwich

RE> What exaxtly [sic] are are you getting at about all this?

Well… Nothing really I purchased my 2003 as a new car and have been driving it for 16 years. I have been very fortunate and have not done any major repairs outside of the car’s warranty. That means I have not looked for parts and really do not know what is available at what price. That changed a couple of months ago when I had to do some significant repairs.

I have used the same auto repair shop for over 35 years, and I depend upon them to locate parts for my cars. I don’t trust myself to buy used parts, and I would not have the leverage my shop has because they deal with trusted sources. If they decide the part isn’t something they want, they can return it. That might not be possible when buying parts on the Forum, or buying from a source with whom you do not have a continuing business relationship.

I have owned a couple of Saab automobiles, and I was always surprised how expensive the parts were (new and used). I was really pleased to see how reasonable I could acquire parts for my Nissan. That is all I was getting at.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:41 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
RE> What exaxtly [sic] are are you getting at about all this?

Well… Nothing really I purchased my 2003 as a new car and have been driving it for 16 years. I have been very fortunate and have not done any major repairs outside of the car’s warranty. That means I have not looked for parts and really do not know what is available at what price. That changed a couple of months ago when I had to do some significant repairs.

I have used the same auto repair shop for over 35 years, and I depend upon them to locate parts for my cars. I don’t trust myself to buy used parts, and I would not have the leverage my shop has because they deal with trusted sources. If they decide the part isn’t something they want, they can return it. That might not be possible when buying parts on the Forum, or buying from a source with whom you do not have a continuing business relationship.

I have owned a couple of Saab automobiles, and I was always surprised how expensive the parts were (new and used). I was really pleased to see how reasonable I could acquire parts for my Nissan. That is all I was getting at.
What mileage did the tranny go out? I've been DD mine also for 14 years and decided on systematically replacing parts I know might be wearing or going out soon. Getting all the parts for the cooling system to be replaced this Spring.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
What mileage did the tranny go out? I've been DD mine also for 14 years and decided on systematically replacing parts I know might be wearing or going out soon. Getting all the parts for the cooling system to be replaced this Spring.
I bought the 2003 as a new car. The synchromesh in 5th gear began failing within 2 years (at about 20k mileage). I had the transmission replaced about a year later at 30k mileage under warranty from Nissan. The new transmission was a CD009, and it was a great improvement in every way.

At about 120k miles, the CD009 transmission started “howling” in 1st gear and reverse in cold weather. The “howling” was very loud. I needed a new clutch kit at 130k miles, so I considered replacing the transmission along with the clutch components. I am glad I did this. I got the new transmission for a very favorable price. Judging from the serial number on the transmission, it is either a CD009 or a CD00A model. Truthfully, my CD009 transmission’s only fault was the howling noise. The transmission was perfect in every other way.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:27 AM
munkeymike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude 7,000 posts and you just now figured this out? Junkyards, eBay and LKQ are GOLD MINES. If you are really hardcore, you can get a wrecked parts car off of Copart and piece it out.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:34 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i know several people that have used this website

http://www.slidegood.com/nissan/350z
uncrediblehulk (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

OK people, chill out.

It's really disheartening to see people get all wound up about Spike's post. He is a long time contributor here and has added much positivity to the Z conversation. His post, while seemingly "late" or "common knowledge" - to a few of you who choose to call him out - is helpful to many that may be newer to the Z game. And, as it is with his current, new-to-him experience with these salvage/used parts, it is something that others may not have thought about or considered. Goes with his attitude of "always wanting to be helpful". That's something many can take a lesson from.

It's like the old adage says, if you have nothing positive to contribute, don't bother because the person you're disrespecting with your negativity is adding something positive; however you may feel otherwise.

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-21-2019 at 07:40 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by MicVelo:
KornerCarver (02-21-2019), laswyguy (02-21-2019), Spike100 (02-21-2019), travlee (02-21-2019), uncrediblehulk (02-21-2019), zwei_the_c (02-23-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
uncrediblehulk

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK people, chill out.

It's really disheartening to see people get all wound up about Spike's post. He is a long time contributor here and has added much positivity to the Z conversation. His post, while seemingly "late" or "common knowledge" - to a few of you who choose to call him out - is helpful to many that may be newer to the Z game. And, as it is with his current, new-to-him experience with these salvage/used parts, it is something that others may not have thought about or considered. Goes with his attitude of "always wanting to be helpful". That's something many can take a lesson from.

It's like the old adage says, if you have nothing positive to contribute, don't bother because the person you're disrespecting with your negativity is adding something positive; however you may feel otherwise.
Agreed. I did not now about the slidegood.com website. Might end up using that at some point.

Thank you
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah. I was surprised to get a good transmission for $400.

The cheap parts is what I love about the FM platform. People are actually shocked to see a Z/G that’s not beat to ****.

I’m actually stocking interior parts and suspension control arms for myself.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 PM
mr. sparco

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
People are actually shocked to see a Z/G that’s not beat to ****.
Had a bumper painted at an old school hot rod body shop, owner came out and said my z is the first he has seen without a door ding on a perfectly straight body. Lol
Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Frostydc4

The cheap parts is what I love about the FM platform. People are actually shocked to see a Z/G that’s not beat to ****.

I’m actually stocking interior parts and suspension control arms for myself.
Thank you for the reply.

I am doing the same thing you wisely plan and describe. I learned from my recent project that it takes time to locate the correct used parts. This is an effort that requires research, and takes time and effort. I am evaluating some of the systems on my 350z, and researching and buying the parts in advance of failure so I can add them to my inventory and avoid a “panic buy.”
Old 02-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Had a bumper painted at an old school hot rod body shop, owner came out and said my z is the first he has seen without a door ding on a perfectly straight body. Lol
I would bet that you are parking at better places than locations such as crowded Supermarket lots (never park at Cub Foods).
Old 02-21-2019, 07:06 PM
mr. sparco

I would bet that you are parking at better places than locations such as crowded Supermarket lots (never park at Cub Foods).
I barely drive my Z, about 3k/year, first and only owner. I do take it to Costco every now and then, but I always park in the corner spots when available.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Dan Garcia
Professional

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Always park as far away from the main entrance as you can from any store, door swingers, people that do not care about the condition of their cars ( or yours ) and those with youngsters that don't know any better tend to want to park close to the main entrance even if the parking spots are so tight that they can't even get out of their own vehicles. A bit of walking can be a good thing.
ajpasa (03-04-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Huge deals for 350z cars!!