Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Billet Plus Shifter for 350z- Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Z33E

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hurst Billet Plus Shifter for 350z- Anyone?

I’ve recently seen that there’s a new short shifter on the market- Hurst Billet Plus- and I was wondering if anyone has it installed or any words on it. I haven’t modded my Z in well over a year and a half or so due to now being in college and just having to worry about other things so that hopefully when I graduate i’ll be making enough to really really mod this thing(fingers crossed) but this shifter did catch my eye especially being a Hurst and i’m trying to decide if I should scavenge up some cash to purchase one, thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I haven't heard of the Hurst shifter or tried one. But after racing D2D in SCCA and NASA with the Z33, I find it hard to believe a short shifter is needed. Nissan spent some valuable R&D on this six-speed tranny and the tight shift pattern is precise and short. Combine that with some good heel-toe rev matching skills and that's a tranny to match the world's best.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Z33E

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
I haven't heard of the Hurst shifter or tried one. But after racing D2D in SCCA and NASA with the Z33, I find it hard to believe a short shifter is needed. Nissan spent some valuable R&D on this six-speed tranny and the tight shift pattern is precise and short. Combine that with some good heel-toe rev matching skills and that's a tranny to match the world's best.
https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...i-g35-g37.html it aint a coolerwerx but looks decent
Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

My advise is to purchase three quarts of Redline MT-85 for the tranny and continue working on your shifting skills.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Lots of track time with my Z, never installed a short shifter. Can't think of ever wanting one either.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Not much different than stock, and the "****" is small (less than at least a "bulb"). I certainly would not pay extra for this short shifter. Nissan's CD009 or CD00A transmission with its matched shifter is the best solution.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

^^^ Have to agree with dkmura here. I find the stock shifter with stock leather **** perfect - at least for me. And, if anything, the alleged "longer throw" of the stocker gives me that fraction of second extra for the heel/toe rev match to catch up as the shifter passes through the neutral gate. But that's all speculation because a good driver adapts to the shifting in whatever s/he's driving. Laff....

Not downplaying any of the short shifters since I've no experience (and never felt need for one) but would be curious to either drive one or read a critical review on this or the Coolerworx (which IMO, looks pretty dang robust).
Old 06-24-2019, 11:36 PM
Shoomakan

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

My car during winter is already hard enough to shift when cold.. I can't imagine a short shifter is either healthy for the tranny at that point, or my sanity. :P
Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't recommend a 2 piece design.
Stick to 1 solid billet piece, I like my short shifter over the stock one, each to their own.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 AM
g356sp

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
^^^ Have to agree with dkmura here. I find the stock shifter with stock leather **** perfect - at least for me. And, if anything, the alleged "longer throw" of the stocker gives me that fraction of second extra for the heel/toe rev match to catch up as the shifter passes through the neutral gate. But that's all speculation because a good driver adapts to the shifting in whatever s/he's driving. Laff....

Not downplaying any of the short shifters since I've no experience (and never felt need for one) but would be curious to either drive one or read a critical review on this or the Coolerworx (which IMO, looks pretty dang robust).
Agreed. I swapped in a Nismo Al **** for a while and couldn't stand it, ended up reselling within a few weeks and reverting to stock.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Nissan spent some valuable R&D on this six-speed tranny and the tight shift pattern is precise and short.
Yeah but to be fair, they also designed that clutch pedal assembly...
Old 06-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Kevin Skene

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

So many old-timers in this thread.

Looks pretty badass. I would love to try one out. I recently came across one from Bell Raceworks. Really intrigued by the fact that it's chassis mounted.
https://bellraceworks.bigcartel.com/...-throw-shifter

Last edited by Kevin Skene; 06-25-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Kevin Skene
So many old-timers in this thread.
Yeah, I’m old school. I don’t depend on mechanical help if it ain’t broke. I spent a year pushing my car completely stock to see where the shortcomings were and then tweaked what needed to be improved to suit my needs. (Not much other than the well known suspension issues of the early cars.)

I see so many people changing out parts without having a clue about why they’re doing it.

Other than it’s cool on Facebook.

Good example: Coilovers. I smile and laugh at how every “non-old-timer” believes them to be the cure all suspension mod; yet I see so many cars driving down the road with them set so wrong that they may as well have just cut their stock springs to get “moar low” and t’hell with the suspension movement to actually make them function properly.

I could also go on about how many people spend the time and money on mechanical upgrades when the soft matter behind the wheel has had zero improvements. You, of all people, know that since you do use your car as it was designed to be driven.

So yeah, given the choice between knowing what I’m doing (and why) or buying stuff because it’s “cool”, well, I’ll take wisdom and function over swag points.

Again, the short shifter might be great; I don't know, so no disrespect intended. Just don’t feel its needed. And maybe I’m wrong. Point is, my car is perfect.... for ME and how I use it.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-26-2019 at 06:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
dkmura (06-26-2019), Spike100 (06-26-2019), terrasmak (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 05:54 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Kindly remove yourself from Mic's lawn
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Skene (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Kindly remove yourself from Mic's lawn
And don't forget to pick up the dog poo on your way off. Laff.

I apologize for the rant. Sort of. For taking up the time, not my sentiments, which remain unchanged.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Kevin Skene

Yeah, I’m old school. I don’t depend on mechanical help if it ain’t broke. I spent a year pushing my car completely stock to see where the shortcomings were and then tweaked what needed to be improved to suit my needs. (Not much other than the well known suspension issues of the early cars.)

I see so many people changing out parts without having a clue about why they’re doing it.

Other than it’s cool on Facebook.

Good example: Coilovers. I smile and laugh at how every “non-old-timer” believes them to be the cure all suspension mod; yet I see so many cars driving down the road with them set so wrong that they may as well have just cut their stock springs to get “moar low” and t’hell with the suspension movement to actually make them function properly.

I could also go on about how many people spend the time and money on mechanical upgrades when the soft matter behind the wheel has had zero improvements. You, of all people, know that since you do use your car as it was designed to be driven.

So yeah, given the choice between knowing what I’m doing (and why) or buying stuff because it’s “cool”, well, I’ll take wisdom and function over swag points.

Again, the short shifter might be great; I don't know, so no disrespect intended. Just don’t feel its needed. And maybe I’m wrong. Point is, my car is perfect.... for ME and how I use it.
Totally get that and understand. I think over-building and under-driving cars is a curse that myself and others often fall prey to. I'd rather buy 4 tires and get extra seat time, rather than buying a short shifter. I've just never been a fan of people disregarding aftermarket parts because "stock is good enough". (You didn't say that, but others in the post did).

Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Totally get that and understand. I think over-building and under-driving cars is a curse that myself and others often fall prey to. I'd rather buy 4 tires and get extra seat time, rather than buying a short shifter. I've just never been a fan of people disregarding aftermarket parts because "stock is good enough". (You didn't say that, but others in the post did).
Well, for some (dare I say "most"?), "stock IS good enough". My old saying "If you can drive the car to at least 80% of ITS capabilities, then you can modify it." still applies in my mind. Just pure logic. But I know,. all too well, the temptation to modify in order to "make it better" or "set it apart from other cars" (and even "the crowd is doing that so it must be good.") But in reality, most don't drive their cars 8/10ths+ (and if they do without driver mods, heaven help other drivers on the road.) Heck, I *BELIEVE* I can drive my car to 80% of its capabilities but stock would still be enough. Guess it comes down to my belief that people can save a lot of money by doing what's NEEDED versus "what's fashionable." Laff.....

You mention tires.... that's another one of those things that just puzzles me. People spend $2 grand (or whatever) on a nice set of wheels but then put some lame monkey brand tire on 'em when it's the rubber, not the aluminum (well, partly), that increases the performance. Uhhhhhh, what the heck is the point of that?!? But there it is again.... parking lot swag. People look at the "rims", not what's on them. Hahahaha. Explains why I've had such problem selling my last pair of brand new "name brand" tires at 50% off Tire Rack's price. $250 (for the PAIR) is still too much when you can go down the street to Goober's Tires & Liquor store to buy a full set of junk for $200. mounted. "Oh, but they look good." No diss, just bewildering to me.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Kevin Skene

Well, for some (dare I say "most"?), "stock IS good enough". My old saying "If you can drive the car to at least 80% of ITS capabilities, then you can modify it." still applies in my mind. Just pure logic. But I know,. all too well, the temptation to modify in order to "make it better" or "set it apart from other cars" (and even "the crowd is doing that so it must be good.") But in reality, most don't drive their cars 8/10ths+ (and if they do without driver mods, heaven help other drivers on the road.) Heck, I *BELIEVE* I can drive my car to 80% of its capabilities but stock would still be enough. Guess it comes down to my belief that people can save a lot of money by doing what's NEEDED versus "what's fashionable." Laff.....

You mention tires.... that's another one of those things that just puzzles me. People spend $2 grand (or whatever) on a nice set of wheels but then put some lame monkey brand tire on 'em when it's the rubber, not the aluminum (well, partly), that increases the performance. Uhhhhhh, what the heck is the point of that?!? But there it is again.... parking lot swag. People look at the "rims", not what's on them. Hahahaha. Explains why I've had such problem selling my last pair of brand new "name brand" tires at 50% off Tire Rack's price. $250 (for the PAIR) is still too much when you can go down the street to Goober's Tires & Liquor store to buy a full set of junk for $200. mounted. "Oh, but they look good." No diss, just bewildering to me.

Hurst is a really well known brand in the GM world. Since CD's seem to be becoming the recommended transmission over the T56, i'm not surprised that companies outside of the typical Z parts dealers are starting to make parts. Since Z's are blowing up in the drifting community, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a much larger variety of parts coming in the next few years, for better or worse.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hurst is a really well known brand in the GM world. Since CD's seem to be becoming the recommended transmission over the T56, i'm not surprised that companies outside of the typical Z parts dealers are starting to make parts. Since Z's are blowing up in the drifting community, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a much larger variety of parts coming in the next few years, for better or worse.
Yup. Have had numerous Hurst shifters in my hot rod days, CompPlus, AutoStick-2, etc. They go back a long time pre-dating this old man's knowledge of what a shifter even was, laff. I was surprised to hear that B&M (formerly the king of Auto Trans shifters, shift kits and trannies) had a shifter for a 33.

Speaking of drifting... I have nothing against drifting at all (other than doing it on public roads) - I posted about learning how to handbrake break the rear recently - but I guess I don't quite understand the sport, at least from a functional pro level perspective. Formula D confuses me, not really knowing how it's "judged" (versus raw position and lap times determining finishing positions in road racing). I mean I get what the rules say but judging versus empirical data is just a foreign concept to me. Also gotta marvel at the sheer destructiveness (on hardware) that's all gotta be. But...no doubting the talents of the Forsbergs or Yoshiharas of the world!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 PM
Kevin Skene

Angry

Yup. Have had numerous Hurst shifters in my hot rod days, CompPlus, AutoStick-2, etc. They go back a long time pre-dating this old man's knowledge of what a shifter even was, laff. I was surprised to hear that B&M (formerly the king of Auto Trans shifters, shift kits and trannies) had a shifter for a 33.

Speaking of drifting... I have nothing against drifting at all (other than doing it on public roads) - I posted about learning how to handbrake break the rear recently - but I guess I don't quite understand the sport, at least from a functional pro level perspective. Formula D confuses me, not really knowing how it's "judged" (versus raw position and lap times determining finishing positions in road racing). I mean I get what the rules say but judging versus empirical data is just a foreign concept to me. Also gotta marvel at the sheer destructiveness (on hardware) that's all gotta be. But...no doubting the talents of the Forsbergs or Yoshiharas of the world!
It's a weird one and the scoring can be tough to follow. Much like boxing, winner of the last round isn't always the winner overall. But the destructiveness is no joke. I broke 2 SPL lca's and 2 flow formed wheels the other weekend

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Plus Shifter for 350z- Anyone?