Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Instrument cluster is dead, nothing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Roadmanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster is dead, nothing

So I recently swapped my alternator. The back story to this is it died on me while I was cruising at night with my lights on around 50 in 6th gear (I have a 2003 m/t performance coupe). Lost all power but I could hear the motor still running, I put it into neutral & it would rev and other gear 1-6 nothing literally 1mph. I towed it home and swapped the alternator after. I know what the new piece and the installation is sound. Now I have nothing showing up on my dash except the seatbelt and the brake light. My speedo,turn signals, gas, and my trip gauge is all pooped out with no backlight. I got to work and took out my keys and noticed my ac control lights were still active. The voltage reads at about just over 14 on the gauge itself so I know the alternators probably running most of it. I know I’m gonna get bashed for this but I’m using the battery out of a 89 accord which was new at the time with extra cranking Amps. But I’m questioning if this is the main culprit to my issues, I haven’t blown any fuses I’ve checked both panels. The battery was tested at the shop and charged its “okay” they say. If I got the right battery for it would everything go back how it should or is there anything else I have to do. I’ve read, watched, and read some more. Searched service manuals and everything I can’t figure this out. Does anyone have any experience?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:29 PM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

No one will bash you if you do some troubleshooting. I've never personally seen this. I do run a Versa battery in my 2003 350z without any electrical issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if your z starts, and the cluster is as dead as a dodo. If it worked prior to the alternator install, you could have the alternator tested. Or swap in another battery, and see if that fixes it. I just checked the CCA's on some Accord batteries, and they're basically the same as the Versa, so I'm really leaning towards the alternator, or possibly some corrosion on the wiring? Maybe clean up the battery terminals and see if that helps at all.
The following users liked this post:
Roadmanz33 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

to be clear are we talking no lights or no power to anything at all in the guages?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

also did you disconnect the battery before changing the alternator, please be honest since this can change the recommendations greatly.
The following users liked this post:
Roadmanz33 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Roadmanz33

Originally Posted by jellofuel
No one will bash you if you do some troubleshooting. I've never personally seen this. I do run a Versa battery in my 2003 350z without any electrical issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if your z starts, and the cluster is as dead as a dodo. If it worked prior to the alternator install, you could have the alternator tested. Or swap in another battery, and see if that fixes it. I just checked the CCA's on some Accord batteries, and they're basically the same as the Versa, so I'm really leaning towards the alternator, or possibly some corrosion on the wiring? Maybe clean up the battery terminals and see if that helps at all.
Just threw a new correct battery in just as bad. I’m gonna try clean up the terminals and see if it makes a difference but like you said it might be the alternator even though it’s a new install
Old 07-15-2019, 06:06 PM
Roadmanz33

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
also did you disconnect the battery before changing the alternator, please be honest since this can change the recommendations greatly.

The gauges gave have power because I see my seatbelt blink and my brake like will light up when handbrake is on. But no back light, no rpm gauge, no speedometer. The backlight is gone and the needles do not move whatsoever, it’s as if the cars still off. Only gauge that works is my voltage. My fuel level is gone too.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

I will be 100% honest, I do not know for a fact, but I am wondering if it may have something to do with the control box behind the climate controls. It's weird that your climate controls would still be active even after the car is shut off indicating that they are somehow getting power from somewhere other than their usual source, and these are linked in with the cluster. I would look into finding a wiring diagram between the cluster and the control box behind the climate controls. It is a long shot, but maybe the alternator somehow caused a problem with the box when it went out.

If your install was a straight forward install, I can't imagine it would be anything with the alternator / battery since your voltage seems to be within specs (at face value) and the battery swap did not change anything.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 AM
Roadmanz33

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
I will be 100% honest, I do not know for a fact, but I am wondering if it may have something to do with the control box behind the climate controls. It's weird that your climate controls would still be active even after the car is shut off indicating that they are somehow getting power from somewhere other than their usual source, and these are linked in with the cluster. I would look into finding a wiring diagram between the cluster and the control box behind the climate controls. It is a long shot, but maybe the alternator somehow caused a problem with the box when it went out.

If your install was a straight forward install, I can't imagine it would be anything with the alternator / battery since your voltage seems to be within specs (at face value) and the battery swap did not change anything.
Battery & charging check out okay. Now just to troubleshoot the cluster. No obvious signs on the white box & all the fuses look solid.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Do you have any friends with a similar year Z that would allow you to use the AC amp box to test? The inputs for the gauges and the cluster are directly linked to this box. If not, I have seen them going for around 80 bucks on eBay.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this exact problem (as you describe) happen to me on my infiniti m35. I took it to an auto electrician, it was a short in the wiring under the dash. Outside of my shade tree mechanic scope.