Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LOUD exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Thirteengraves

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LOUD exhaust noise

Hello everyone, I have an 06 DE with Z1 test pipes, Z1 y pipe, and Z1 single exit. Since removing the Borla that was on the car when I bought it and replacing it with the Z1, during slowdowns from 3k-1.7k, the infamous VQ "hiss" is pretty loud and quite frustrating. I have removed it, disassembled it, checked every single gasket and even replaced them with all new gaskets just in case and it still does it. I reinstalled it and everything is perfectly in place and torqued to spec. Could this be due simply because of the excess air flow in the exhaust as well as the test pipes being non-resonated? It isn't something that will cause me to get rid of the car or replace the exhaust if it isn't an actual problem. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Thirteengraves; 07-16-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

The following users liked this post:
813_350Z (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Thirteengraves

So instead of anything constructive you show me this lmfaooooooooooo
Old 07-16-2019, 04:09 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Stupid questions get stupid answers.

Sell the car. Problem solved.

That video is hilarious. WHHOOOP WHOOOPP!
khnitz (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 PM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the exact same setup, though I have Tomei V2 headers as well. I wrapped the entire setup to cope with hissing and drone, and that's good enough for me. I keep the silencer in unless I'm on track though. Have you verified there's no leak on the swedge joints on the y-pipe? It took multiple attempts to have it not leak.

The noise itself isn't a problem, I've read the hissing is a combination of increased flow from test pipes, and through a y-pipe. This y-pipe idea has some merit, I don't recall ever hearing of anyone with a true dual exhaust having this noise.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Thirteengraves

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
Stupid questions get stupid answers.

Sell the car. Problem solved.

That video is hilarious. WHHOOOP WHOOOPP!
Enlighten me... how is any of what I asked a "stupid question"?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Thirteengraves

Originally Posted by jellofuel
I have the exact same setup, though I have Tomei V2 headers as well. I wrapped the entire setup to cope with hissing and drone, and that's good enough for me. I keep the silencer in unless I'm on track though. Have you verified there's no leak on the swedge joints on the y-pipe? It took multiple attempts to have it not leak.

The noise itself isn't a problem, I've read the hissing is a combination of increased flow from test pipes, and through a y-pipe. This y-pipe idea has some merit, I don't recall ever hearing of anyone with a true dual exhaust having this noise.
Yeah I've never heard of any true duel doing such a thing either. It didn't do it when I had the Borla on there. And forgive me, by swedge joint you mean? I'm assuming where the separate "y's" slide into the connector? Also, wrap worked for you? I was thinking about wrapping a portion (if not all) of the exhaust to aid with some excess noice from the rumble of such a loud and large diameter exhaust but haven't got around to it yet. All in all, I absolutely love the exhaust and how loud it is. I'm going on a dyno for a tune in a couple of weeks and just want to make sure the Z is ready for it. After all, this is the only problem I have with the car.
jellofuel (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Honestly when you install parts which make the exhaust the loudest, there are going to be related noises. You can wrap the exhaust but wrapping on a street car can make the pipes more prone to cracking especially if driven in the rain.
813_350Z (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:38 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteengraves
Enlighten me... how is any of what I asked a "stupid question"?
You went over the entire system, ensuring that every gasket was in place and in working condition, and that the system was "perfectly torqued". Which leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the system meaning A. You didn't do a thorough enough inspection and something is, in fact, wrong and is causing your problem, or B. You did not listen to how the system sounded prior to purchasing it and no realize that you don't like it now that it is installed.

So you have four options, take it to a shop who will actually confirm that the system is in good working condition or not, swap the Borla system back on it ( or buy something else if you prefer), live with it, or sell the whole car (idiocy if you ask me, but W/E)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Thirteengraves

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Honestly when you install parts which make the exhaust the loudest, there are going to be related noises. You can wrap the exhaust but wrapping on a street car can make the pipes more prone to cracking especially if driven in the rain.
I had the notion that I was going to hear a lot more of those noises that were "hidden", for lack of a better term, but I figured I'd ask about this one because it seems to be the most prominent one. Thanks though!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Thirteengraves

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
You went over the entire system, ensuring that every gasket was in place and in working condition, and that the system was "perfectly torqued". Which leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the system meaning A. You didn't do a thorough enough inspection and something is, in fact, wrong and is causing your problem, or B. You did not listen to how the system sounded prior to purchasing it and no realize that you don't like it now that it is installed.

So you have four options, take it to a shop who will actually confirm that the system is in good working condition or not, swap the Borla system back on it ( or buy something else if you prefer), live with it, or sell the whole car (idiocy if you ask me, but W/E)
Yeah I do research on everything before I buy, and the only videos I found of the Z1 system was just the cat-back with either stock y-pipe and cats, or some completely different brand. And this may come as a surprise to someone as intelligent as yourself, but not all brands are created equal. Additionally, I LOVE the way the exhaust sounds, just wasn't sure about the separate noise. Because you know, things happen sometimes, unless you live some perfect life. And no, I won't sell this car for anything. It's been really good to me and I to it. So with all of this being said, thanks for you second round of feedback as it was actually partially worth my time to read. Much appreciated man.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:49 PM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteengraves
Yeah I've never heard of any true duel doing such a thing either. It didn't do it when I had the Borla on there. And forgive me, by swedge joint you mean? I'm assuming where the separate "y's" slide into the connector? Also, wrap worked for you? I was thinking about wrapping a portion (if not all) of the exhaust to aid with some excess noice from the rumble of such a loud and large diameter exhaust but haven't got around to it yet. All in all, I absolutely love the exhaust and how loud it is. I'm going on a dyno for a tune in a couple of weeks and just want to make sure the Z is ready for it. After all, this is the only problem I have with the car.
Yes, the piping of the y that slides into the connector. I've heard reports from fellow Z1 customers regarding the leaking joints. I saw one guy on FB so desperate for a fix he welded it lol

The wrap was enough for me, but it doesn't sound as good as other exhausts, so I keep the silencer in. The silencer really helps with excessive rasp as well as overall volume. I've never personally heard of an exhaust cracking because it's wrapped (not saying this can't happen), and I figure if there's any concern for cracking, it's because there are no flex pipes on this exhaust setup. If I'm honest, I'd just get the tune, and once you're happy with the numbers, keep everything as is.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Thirteengraves

Originally Posted by jellofuel
Yes, the piping of the y that slides into the connector. I've heard reports from fellow Z1 customers regarding the leaking joints. I saw one guy on FB so desperate for a fix he welded it lol

The wrap was enough for me, but it doesn't sound as good as other exhausts, so I keep the silencer in. The silencer really helps with excessive rasp as well as overall volume. I've never personally heard of an exhaust cracking because it's wrapped (not saying this can't happen), and I figure if there's any concern for cracking, it's because there are no flex pipes on this exhaust setup. If I'm honest, I'd just get the tune, and once you're happy with the numbers, keep everything as is.
I'm going to take another look at it this weekend. I'll most likely end up taking everything off again and reinstalling it. Im not desperate for it to be fixed, if I ever even fix it at all. I was originally going to get the Invidia N1, then heard a Tomei in person and fell in love but couldn't justify 1k for just a catback, so I found Z1 and am beyond happy with the purchase. I will continue to build the car until I'm happy with the performance and numbers. I may give wrapping a try as well, it doesn't rain much here in my area of North Carolina either. I do appreciate your insight man! Thanks.

Last edited by Thirteengraves; 07-16-2019 at 05:55 PM.
jellofuel (07-16-2019)