South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Califonira to NC

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
nissan350zausti
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shinkuu
I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte, NC. I had some questions if any locals could help me out.

1. cost of living - whats can i expect to pay in a good neighborhood. looking to rent then buy a house?
2. jobs - how is the job market for IT professionals?
3. emmissions - what kind of laws will effect me regarding my 350z and emmissions?
4. entertainment - whats there to do?
5. racing - i am big into track racing and mtn driving. where can i go for these things?

thanks in advance. i used to live in charlotte for a couple years when i was still a child. cost of living is too much in Socal so i'm looking for a change.
dude,

you should move to Dallas. That's where i am moving to. I am from Cali(orange county) too and it's freeaken expensive.
Dallas has tons of IT jobs.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
shinkuu

are there any race tracks in dallas? i need to be close to lots of race tracks or i might as well sell my Z./
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
JOEGYVER

Well, If you don't have to live exactly downtown, you will be fine finding an affordable place. I live in Columbia, SC a fast hour away, and I buzz up to Charlotte when I get bored of the local scene. That is a good thing about where I live, you are centralized to all the other nearby cities of interest: 1 hr to Charlotte, 1.5 Charleston, 1.5 Greenville (read mountains but not what you are used too ) 3.5 to ATL, 2.5 Savannah, blue ridge parkway isn't too far either. Have you considered Charleston, SC and the surrounding area? Thats where I grew up and considered moving back, but took a promotion instead. IT background likely not to give you too much pull in chucktown though.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
JOEGYVER

Also, there are a few tracks surrounding the region near the cities listed above Road Atlanta, Roebling near Savannah, Highrock near Charlotte, and Carolina M'sports park near Columbia. I wish I could afford SD, I thought it was beautiful...
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM
dunglan7

$600 a month is going to be in the ghetto in charlotte.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
shinkuu

i have another couple moving out with us and they have a baby. we were talking about sharing a 3br house, us possibly getting the master and they can take 2 brs. our budget would be a bit more in that case but i've found some nice places on craigslist around our budget.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
shinkuu

Alrite guys, bumping this from the grave but this IS happening and I have more details about my move.

I'm flying to Charlotte this Sunday for a few days, hopefully to secure an apartment or house. We are then driving a truck across country and will settle in June 24th.

Any last minute suggestions on housing or areas? Any meets going on nexet week between 5/26-5/28? I would like to meet the local Z guys.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Sisko99

Ok...first thing......once you get to town, check out www.carolinazclub.com and then come see us at the next meeting.

Second...you can spend a boat load of cash and live in South Charlotte....or you can go North up near the lake and spend less. I just bought a townhouse in Huntersville and didn't have to give up any body parts to do it. The Cornelius/Huntersville/Lake Norman area is very nice. I have no desire to move anywhere else. Granted if you want to...you can still spend that boat load of cash near the lake.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:02 PM
shinkuu

my gf works closer to south charlotte and so far i am unemployed. what areas should i stay away from and i'll definitely check out the Z club. when's the next track event?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte, NC. I had some questions if any locals could help me out.

1. cost of living - whats can i expect to pay in a good neighborhood. looking to rent then buy a house?
2. jobs - how is the job market for IT professionals?
3. emmissions - what kind of laws will effect me regarding my 350z and emmissions?
4. entertainment - whats there to do?
5. racing - i am big into track racing and mtn driving. where can i go for these things?

thanks in advance. i used to live in charlotte for a couple years when i was still a child. cost of living is too much in Socal so i'm looking for a change.
1 - I mean it depends on your standards, you could live in a college-rich area and have all inclusive rent for 400 a month, 450 full furnished and they're nice, but of course youll have roomates. i was looking at a new place, non-college off tryon near 49 that was really really nice about 640 a month
2 - gotta be lots of it available downtown, many corporations have offices there
3 - NC emissions FTW! tint laws are teh gaysex
4 - downtown clubbing and bars are awesome.
5 - eh.....well....tracks not so much. BUT not to far from the mountains and 'the dragon'

GL
Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 AM
imonlykidden

So you have moved already? are you in NC area. How do you like it so far.

IF you manage your money right you can live like a king do not listen to them. I make over 6 figures and i BALL.

We do not neccisarliy have a Z club but i usually host Z meets usually once a month if im home. There is one kicking off Aug 23rd if your in the area. Come if you would like. Here is the thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/south-east/362417-coming-back-home-from-work-in-baghdad-iraq.html

Anything else feel free to pm me.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemjohnson
5 - eh.....well....tracks not so much. BUT not to far from the mountains and 'the dragon'

GL
There are about 20 great tracks in driving distance, and a couple that have been rated some of the top road courses in the world.

We also have some of the larger Z clubs in the country.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 AM
shinkuu

Originally Posted by mikemjohnson
1 - I mean it depends on your standards, you could live in a college-rich area and have all inclusive rent for 400 a month, 450 full furnished and they're nice, but of course youll have roomates. i was looking at a new place, non-college off tryon near 49 that was really really nice about 640 a month
2 - gotta be lots of it available downtown, many corporations have offices there
3 - NC emissions FTW! tint laws are teh gaysex
4 - downtown clubbing and bars are awesome.

GL
I ended up getting a place in south charlotte, (pineville) for about 600 a month with a washer/dryer. i think that was the deal breaker for me. Still going to need to find a job and especially looking forward to all the tracks out there.

We are moving at the end of this weekend and should be in town next wednesday.

Originally Posted by imonlykidden
So you have moved already? are you in NC area. How do you like it so far.

IF you manage your money right you can live like a king do not listen to them. I make over 6 figures and i BALL.

We do not neccisarliy have a Z club but i usually host Z meets usually once a month if im home. There is one kicking off Aug 23rd if your in the area. Come if you would like. Here is the thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362417

Anything else feel free to pm me.
i'll be sure to check out that meet and say hello to all the local Z guys. hope some of u guys are more go than show =)
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 AM
imonlykidden

HAHAHA. I'm BOTH.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM
shinkuu

as long as there's some go and not all show. i respect clean looking rides but not when you put on 6000 dollar BBK and never heat them up past 300 degrees.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:03 AM
imonlykidden

we have a couple go'ers. Myself, reptile (my buddy), couple others. other sare just stock. With some rims. What about you? You a sleeper i'm guessing?

Your more than welcome to come hang out. go go-karting (fast ones) In mooresville, NC. Great times.

Mine is actually in the shop right now being a little more modified. you'll have to come to find OUT.

Hope you can make it either way.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
shinkuu

stock car modified driver. i have minimal mods, plenum spacer, mrev2, pop charger and test pipes for power and sway bars for handles. mostly concerned about corners not straightaway speeds. too many wannabe street racers in socal.

other than that, i got a bigger radiator, oil cooler and oil pan spacer. looking forward to running with you guys. got most of our stuff packed in the truck tonight, gonna finish it up tomorrow and not looking forward to the 2600 mile drive.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up getting a place in south charlotte, (pineville) for about 600 a month with a washer/dryer. i think that was the deal breaker for me. Still going to need to find a job and especially looking forward to all the tracks out there.

We are moving at the end of this weekend and should be in town next wednesday.

i'll be sure to check out that meet and say hello to all the local Z guys. hope some of u guys are more go than show =)
Come check out the club as well.......

www.carolinazclub.com

Have a safe trip.........
Old 06-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Sisko99

Shinkuu, We've got guys going out to the track all the time and our Track Contingent gets bigger with every meeting it seems, though we have yet to organize our own event yet. Another track ***** would be welcomed into the fold enthusiastically.

At the moment, I myself am more of a SCCA Solo guy....but am planning to get out on a track eventually (next summer at the latest, I hope). That puts me in the Go group....but kinda on the fringe right now. We also have groups going out for drives in the hills north of here all the time.

As for our next meeting....it will be at our Club President's house on the 6th of July. If you'd like to attend....send me a PM and I'll get you the address.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sisko,
If you guys are interested Stack on here organizes track events for other groups and clubs (kind of like a wedding planner ). PM him if you guys want to get your own track event together.

Just tell him I sent you.