MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   South West (https://my350z.com/forum/south-west-29/)
-   -   PMI Fall '04 track day thread (https://my350z.com/forum/south-west/91832-pmi-fall-04-track-day-thread.html)

dkmura 09-15-2004 08:41 PM

PMI Fall '04 track day thread

I've talked with the Pueblo Motorsports Park (PMI) track manager and there are still no open weekend dates prior to November. However, there is a Friday that looks promising: October 8th. Otherwise, our first weekend opportunity will come on November 13th, which is a Saturday. Please post here on what you can commit to.

Either way, we'll work on the same schedule we've been successful with in the past: HPDE exercises on braking, cornering and heel-and-toe downshifting (you have been practicing haven't you?) in the morning and breaking the track down into sections to practice. By the afternoon we should be turning laps around the 2.2 mile circuit. For those that haven't been to PMI, it's the most challenging (and fun) track in the region IMHO. A long straight in which you will see some real speed and a medium-fast turn one that requires both skill and committment to navigate well. The turn two through turn eight layout is filled with elevation changes that will really challenge and thrill you. If you get the feeling that I like this course, you're absolutely right!

Cost is reasonable as well: $60/car for the entire day. We usually stop for lunch and go a few miles into town for refueling and some great Mexican food. So it's all GOOD! I'll post more specifics on when and where to meet as we get more of an idea of who's going...

peterputter 09-15-2004 10:00 PM

I can make both!

GaryM05 09-16-2004 05:18 AM

Mmmmmm.....Pueblo (in my best Homer Simpson voice.)

I can make October 8th, but not November 13th (sorry, yet ANOTHER college football commitment.)

Any chance we could schedule both days?

Bottom 09-16-2004 07:03 AM

I'm in for the 8th. That sounds like a great day, and reason, to take off from work. I love mexican food!

November 13th works for me to.

Thanks for setting up another track day.
David

Resolute 09-16-2004 08:49 AM

Thanks for setting one up so quick Dave. I can do the 8th, but wouldn't be able to arrive until around 11 am. 350z's only or are other rides allowed to play?
Will

dkmura 09-16-2004 09:15 AM

I'm considering opening this up to some other cars, but only if they are known members/friends of this group. Give me an idea of who you're considering inviting and their motorsports experience (if any). I'm trying to keep PMI reserved for our sessions only. Will- We'll need to do some coordination for the 8th (looks like that's eveybody's choice so far), to get you to the track. Are you sure you can't make it a bit earlier?

Resolute 09-16-2004 01:48 PM

Originally posted by dkmura
I'm considering opening this up to some other cars, but only if they are known members/friends of this group. Give me an idea of who you're considering inviting and their motorsports experience (if any). I'm trying to keep PMI reserved for our sessions only. Will- We'll need to do some coordination for the 8th (looks like that's eveybody's choice so far), to get you to the track. Are you sure you can't make it a bit earlier?
I have a friend with a WRX, no road course experience. He is always interested in coming out though. I can understand keeping it to all Z's in order to make sure everyone's running pretty equal and for instruction purposes. I thought I'd ask though since last time at PMI there were other makes, but if PMI is pretty technical, it might not be good for his first time on a road course? Just let me know.
Every Friday I teach class in the mornings that ends at 10:00 am. If I can't race, so be it, I understand showing the course will be tough after everyone is out there tearing it up. I'll still come to watch and maybe catch a ride from someone who can show me how it's SUPPOSED to be negotiated. (hint, hint) :)

Resolute 09-16-2004 01:52 PM

David-
How are your Redstuff pads doing on wear? After just La Junta and Second Creek, i might have two more sessions left in them, and that's it. After PPIR this Monday, I'll check them again and probably order another set. Are yours still ok?

Shogun 09-16-2004 05:54 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm.........(Arsenio).

Just to be contrary, 11/13 for me.

Or whatever.

Joe

Mudd 09-16-2004 07:57 PM

The Saturday date works better for me, however I will fight like hell to get the day off it we go on the Friday date.

Just a side note..........I would rather go on Friday., it's just hard getting a Friday off with my tyrant boss, especially when I need the prior Friday off. I will try and make either one though.

Brian

Bottom 09-17-2004 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Resolute
David-
How are your Redstuff pads doing on wear? After just La Junta and Second Creek, i might have two more sessions left in them, and that's it. After PPIR this Monday, I'll check them again and probably order another set. Are yours still ok?

I was just going to ask how yours pads were doing. In the front I have a little less than a quarter of an inch. On the back something weird happened. When I went from stock to the Redstuff, I didn't have to compress the cylinder. When I went back to stock I had to compress the cylinder to get the stock pads back in. The Redstuff rear pads are a little more than a 1/8 of an inch left. I can't remember the original thickness, but after La Junta, State Patrol Track, Second creek they look like they are a bout half the thickness.

My rear tires are getting pretty close to the wear indicators. I just had the front ones replaced under the tire feather warranty.

Any suggestions on replacing the rear brakes pads or the tires. I think that I have another good track day left on both the rear pads and the tires, but I don't want them to become an issue that day at the track or on the drive home. Ideally I would want to keep the tires on until it starts snowing and replace the brake pads for next year. I have budget issues.
Thanks,
David

Bottom 09-17-2004 07:16 AM

David-

I was just going to ask how yours pads were doing. In the front I have a little less than a quarter of an inch. On the back something weird happened. When I went from stock to the Redstuff, I didn't have to compress the cylinder. When I went back to stock I had to compress the cylinder to get the stock pads back in. The Redstuff rear pads are a little more than a 1/8 of an inch left. I can't remember the original thickness, but after La Junta, State Patrol Track, Second creek they look like they are about half the thickness.

My rear tires are getting pretty close to the wear indicators. I just had the front ones replaced under the tire feather warranty.

Any suggestions on replacing the rear brakes pads or the tires. I think that I have another good track day left on both the rear pads and the tires, but I don't want them to become an issue that day at the track or on the drive home. Ideally I would want to keep the tires on until it starts snowing and replace the brake pads for next year. I have budget issues.
Thanks,
David

Bottom 09-17-2004 07:21 AM

David-

Will: I was just going to ask how yours pads were doing. In the front I have a little less than a quarter of an inch. On the back something weird happened. When I went from stock to the Redstuff, I didn't have to compress the cylinder. When I went back to stock I had to compress the cylinder to get the stock pads back in. The Redstuff rear pads are a little more than a 1/8 of an inch left. I cant remember the original thickness, but after La Junta, State Patrol Track, Second creek they look like they are a bout half the thickness.

Any suggestions on replacing the rear brakes pads or the tires. I think that I have another good track day left on both the rear pads and the tires, but I don't want them to become an issue that day at the track or on the drive home. Ideally I would want to keep the tires on until it starts snowing and replace the brake pads for next year. Thanks,

jgray 09-18-2004 06:24 AM

I'm in....

Hey, I'd like to join you guys if you don't mind. Although, I would question the track fee. My brother goes down there just about every other week / weekend to practice riding his motorcycle. They pay $45 for the day - I think 9am - 4pm. sometimes they don't have to pay at all. Maybe he has some clout down there for going so often.

GaryM05 09-18-2004 07:05 AM

Re: I'm in....

Originally posted by jgray
Hey, I'd like to join you guys if you don't mind. Although, I would question the track fee. My brother goes down there just about every other week / weekend to practice riding his motorcycle. They pay $45 for the day - I think 9am - 4pm. sometimes they don't have to pay at all. Maybe he has some clout down there for going so often.
Does your brother ride his bike on the paved track, or on the dirt trails/jumps? PMI has several facilities, each of which likely has a different usage fee.

Even so, $65 for an entire track day is RIDICULOUSLY cheap.

jgray 09-18-2004 07:23 AM

He rides his GSXR 750 on the paved track.

I agree that $65 is still a good price-point, especially if there will be some instruction - formal or informal. I'm not a complete novice driver, but I also know that I could use some instruction and track time to develop my skills (I've only had my Z for about a month now). I'm also wanting to get the speed bug out of my system in a legal, controled environment and not on the streets. So, count me in...

Resolute 09-18-2004 09:36 AM

Dave,
My pads are little past half thickness. These pads were pretty thick to begin with, almost 3/8". I was shocked to look at them after just two track events and find them so worn down. I figure I have one more event for certain, MAYBE two. I will have to check after PPIR this Monday. The rears are definately more worn than the fronts. My tires are hanging in there, but I am planning to order more pads for any track time past PMI.

dkmura 09-18-2004 12:55 PM

Brake facts

For both Resolute and Bottom- Guys, in my experience, it simply isn't worth it to stretch the life on your brake pads. First, when they get thin, there is less material to absorb the heat and it, in turn, begins begins to transfer more heat into the calipers, seals, fluid, etc. Besides risking the car when you REALLY need brakes (and you WILL NEED the brakes at PMI), it degrades the rest of your braking system as well. If you're really down to 3/8" of pad material left, MAYBE run it one more event, but recognize that the thinner the pad gets, the QUICKER they will wear as the heat overloads the remaining material. Ask any racer, pad wear increases exponentially as the material gets thinner.

A good rule-of-thumb is to toss (or keep as a street emergency pad) any pad that gets about as thick as the backing plate itself. I realize that budgets get stretched, but when you consider the nominal cost of a consumable item like brake pads vs. risking your valuable Z, it doesn't make much sense to skimp on them. Just my $0.02.

zz-notop 09-21-2004 03:34 PM

I think I would vote for the October 8th date. I will be back from Milwaukee and should have no trouble getting the day off. The new tranny goes in Thursday and the new top goes on tomorrow. The Hawk HPS pads are doing well but somewhat noisier than I expected them to be.

dkmura 09-21-2004 06:24 PM

Looks like things are filling up for the Fall PMI track days. It seems as though there is interest for both October as well as November, so we'll keep both reservations for now. Here's my count for each day:

Confirmed for October 8th:

1. Don
2. Gary
3. David
4. Will
5. Brian (?)
6. Jgray (who is quite welcome, but I don't know about track rental rates for other groups)

November 13th:

1. Joe
2. Craig
3. Brian (?)
Plus the rest of the aforementioned group once you find out how much FUN PMI is!

And I stand corrected, GaryM05 stated the PMI track rental fee is $65/car (which is the standard track fee for cars- who knows about bikes?). It will be payable shortly after we enter the track. Dates are confirmed and I hope everybody has those track pads on order! Stay tuned to this thread for more info as we get closer to the date...