Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Magic Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
buffmanjeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is so sad...the ONLY amusement park that is worth going to (for the rides of course). i hope to GOD this place doesn't go down, who the hell thinks space mountain is a thrill ride, not me.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:56 AM
meezie

Originally Posted by rommel350z
Caravan?
+1
Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 AM
ANXIOUZ

I poked around that site and there are a ton of rides I hadn't even heard of. Online tickets are $40 too which is better. And if we get 10 people to go, the Group rate is only $25 each! Sweet.

Anyone want to meet prior to the MM event? I'd like to get to know some of ya before spending an entire day with you screaming in my ear.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:13 AM
meezie

Originally Posted by maximXL
I poked around that site and there are a ton of rides I hadn't even heard of. Online tickets are $40 too which is better. And if we get 10 people to go, the Group rate is only $25 each! Sweet.

Anyone want to meet prior to the MM event? I'd like to get to know some of ya before spending an entire day with you screaming in my ear.
That sounds good..
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Originally Posted by maximXL

Ya, for sure. I also think this is a good idea.

So Dan, are you taking a poll to see what date this is happening? And is there a place we can all meet up at first, to shoot the shi-te and get to know each other.....before one of you has to sit with me, screaming in your ear.... (I thought that was funny as hell!).
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM
JimRHIT

City to work to annex Six Flags park
Officials to tout financial benefits
JUDY O'ROURKE, Staff writer

SANTA CLARITA - With the future of Six Flags California's Magic Mountain uncertain, city officials will pursue partnering with the theme park's owners to keep the operation humming.

Armed with an array of financial incentives they say beat those offered by the county — on whose turf the park lies — Santa Clarita officials are poised to travel to New York to begin talks with owner Six Flags Corp. that would broach annexation to the city.

“They are the No. 1 employer for the valley and we have a large incentive to work with them and make them as profitable as they can be,” said Assistant City Manager Ken Striplin. “We will be contacting them this week.”

New York-based Six Flags announced a couple of weeks ago that Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor are among the six properties it might sell to trim a $2.1 billion debt.

On Tuesday, the City Council told City Manager Ken Pulskamp to contact Six Flags' CEO and begin talks about the park, which is in unincorporated Los Angeles County just outside city limits. The city benefits from spillover cash spent for food, lodging, gas and retail sales.

Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg said Thursday she could not comment on the matter.

“We certainly try and be an active and positive presence in the community and have for many years,” she said, adding that no timeline has been set for the park's future. “We're not even sure we're definitely going to sell it.”

She said the company will explore strategic options for several parks as part of an overall plan to deliver profits to shareholders, but declined to elaborate.

Electricity for the 17 rollercoasters and heating Hurricane Harbor's pools costs plenty. In talks with Six Flags, the city will tout the absence of a utility user tax — versus the county's 5 percent user tax — which could save the company hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of dollars — a year, Striplin said. And unlike the county, the city does not charge an admission tax.

The city's pitch will include touting the ability to get bucks back from a coveted state program it hopes to join, which rewards businesses for hiring eligible employees and buying certain machinery. Magic Mountain would need to lie within city limits to participate in that program.

City officials will broach annexing the 250-acre property, which Striplin says would not necessarily be more complex than the city's other 26 annexations.

“If it meets the requirements of an annexation, it would be nothing but a simple annexation,” said Sandor Winger, executive officer of the county Local Agency Formation Commission, which rules on municipal boundary changes.

County officials would not be passive onlookers if overtures are made toward what is believed to be one of the top 10 sales tax generators in the unincorporated area.

“Magic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mountain is a very important economic generator in the Santa Clarita Valley,” said Paul Novak, a planning deputy for Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, whose 5th District includes the park. “It employs approximately 4,000 people and the supervisor is committed to working with Six Flags or any future operator to maintain this economic asset for the valley.”

Antonovich looks forward to a “constructive dialogue” with Six Flags to see what the county can do to keep Magic Mountain as a theme park, Novak said.

Newhall Land and Farming Co., which built the amusement park that has passed through several hands, owns surrounding acreage. Office buildings are springing up at the base of the park, and the 21,000-home Newhall Ranch development is planned west of the city and sprawling to the Ventura County line.

“Our company's philosophy is that we will process our plans based upon the community in which our property is located,” said Newhall Land spokeswoman Marlee Lauffer. “The (Interstate) 5 Freeway is generally a boundary between the city and the county. So the property that we own surrounding Magic Mountain is within the county territory, and we have been working on plans regarding that property.”

Goldberg would not say whether other park operators had inquired about the property, but Cedar Fair L.P., which owns Knott's Berry Farm, Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara, Soak City water parks in San Diego and Palm Springs and other large parks across the country, says it will not be calling.

“At this point in time, with the acquisition of the Paramount parks, our focus is on integrating these five properties into our current portfolio of assets and we're not interested in additional acquisitions at this time,” said Stacy Frole, Cedar Fair's spokeswoman. The company purchased five Paramount parks from CBS Corp. for about $1.24 billion on June 30. Cedar Fair acquired Knott's in 1997. Cedar Fair and Six Flags are the two largest public owners and operators of regional amusement parks, Frole said.

A Universal Studios Hollywood spokesman declined comment on the matter and Universal Orlando officials did not return phone calls. A county address will not stop city officials from paying the theme park's owners a call.

“Magic Mountain is a landmark in the Santa Clarita Valley,” Striplin said of its 35-year tenure. “It's (future) is certainly an issue of tremendous significance for us.”
It's not really going anywhere anytime soon ... the city won't let go of all those jobs.

I'd be down for a trip ... I get 60% off admission here as well via my work.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 AM
B-Unit

<------------ is down!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
meezie

So which month..
Is it set on either Sept. or Oct..?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wife has a season pass...I am in!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Vertex350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should definitely get this going.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:49 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

I might be willing to come down. I told my GF about this & she said we definitely need to go before they close down. Might fly down though...

We can also grab some food at my friend's pizzeria place over there too! He owns the Pizza Factory in Valencia
Old 07-19-2006, 07:18 PM
vkzawa

This better happen. I rly wanna go. $25 sounds good for a group rate. When we gonna do this?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
MADooit

This looks like fun. I would probably fly weather permitting.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

see now you guys got me excited about a possible first trip to Magic Mountain...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

So, we goin' or not?????????
Old 07-21-2006, 02:00 PM
vkzawa

We bettah be.

I would set it up, but then it would suck and fall though, lol. I'm too busy and never organized a meet before. I suck at planning.

So someone give me a date and I'll go.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
meezie

Originally Posted by Ed 718
see now you guys got me excited about a possible first trip to Magic Mountain...
Hey Ed you living out in PD now?

Originally Posted by Luv Mntrl
So, we goin' or not?????????
What's a good month for you Jen, Sept. or Oct.?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 PM
mickey99us

ok guys, you all know its Fright Fest in October. i say we go close to the end of october fright fest is the best time and its in october. how about the 20th or the 21st. or is that to late?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Vertex350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there going to be multiple caravans to this thing or are we all meeting in one place first? That would be pretty crazy to see all these Z's blocking all the parking gates right before they open them.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Originally Posted by S1 350Z
Hey Ed you living out in PD now?

What's a good month for you Jen, Sept. or Oct.?

Either or. I want to have a Z board house party in September, but that can be anytime. If someone puts out a date, I'm there! Never been and DYING to go.

Caravans would be good, so we can all park together once we get there.

Last edited by Luv Mntrl; 07-22-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Magic Mountain