Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Ok, so I hear Washington Mutual is heading downhill..

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
henry j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work at wells fargo and just recently signed a disclaimer saying i cant talk about wamu and how badly they are in trouble, just last week i my self closed my account there and with bofa, and the sale rep that was helping me at wamu started an argument with me and became defensive when i asked him if they were doing bad hahahha
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
henry j

Originally Posted by dspiel
interest accounts are pointless, you dont make money, inflation plus the value of the dollar makes it so.
- i would have to say your wrong only because its the safest way to hold your money in a bank and also collect interest on it, you should try to think of the bank as a game and the only way you can win is if you play the game by the banks rules, unless your a G and have a safe at home
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
madpanda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally have a BofA checking account, and have never had any problems, it is absolutely free checking as long as you get a direct deposit monthly, or some other type of checking account, THERE ARE LOOPHOLES TO EVERTHING YOU JUST GOTTA KNOW WHERE TO LOOK, it doesn't matter if it's 1 cent or $1mill, as long as you get a dd monthly no fees or surcharges or whatever other people complain about BofA. I have been a customer of BofA since 1988, and I have had absolutely no problems with them whatsoever. The only thing that I can complain about is that their overdraft charges are ridiculous, but what bank doesn't have sky high overdraft charges.

I Personally have over 3 accounts with BofA, and use there SDB's as well.
They are tried and true bank, and I only have good things to say about them.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM
madpanda

interest accounts are pointless, you dont make money, inflation plus the value of the dollar makes it so.
ROFL interest accounts do make money. When you accrue interest you gain cash that you did not have. Be it a 5 cents or 1/10 of a cent you still gained it from just leaving your cash in a bank from interest accrued.
You may just want to say that the interest account is not worth the time because the interest accrued is such a small % that the gains would not be worth the time to keep track of.
And if your problem is the interest % than go get a low risk high yield cd, and drop about 4-5g's in that account, and I honestly believe that the gain in cash will be worth the 6 month wait.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never heard a single good thing about the service at Wells Fargo. I personally (and my business for that matter) bank with a community bank that is owned by a larger holding company with 66 banks. They use the Wells Fargo ATM network and you can bank at any of the 66 banks. They never got into the subprime fiasco. Each bank is individually responsible for revenue, but the holding company itself is also involved. You get the personal touch of community banking, the stability and security of a larger company, and they can insure your money up to $50mil unlike most banks ($100k cap).

I'd recommend that you check them out and see if there is a bank nearby. They are in 17 states.
http://www.capitolbancorp.com/banks.aspx
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
henry j

^ all banks are the same no matter what anyone wants to say.... you just have to learn to play by there rules.
and btw wells fargo is the #1 triple AAA rated bank in the world including there customer service, bofa doesnt come close
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by henry j
^ all banks are the same no matter what anyone wants to say.... you just have to learn to play by there rules.
and btw wells fargo is the #1 triple AAA rated bank in the world including there customer service, bofa doesnt come close
No way that's true about all banks being the same. Did you mean as far as customer service goes? How could anyone ever say that and believe it is true? that doesn't even make sense. I have had plenty of bad experiences with Compass, and Wells Fargo. I've had great experiences with Mesa Bank.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
henry j

what i ment was with their products and how they work, all banks have basically the same system, you guys want to bank with a good finacial institution and want your money to be safe go with a credit union
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
gsazabi

Don't worry guys; I heard that when the GT-R V-Spec releases it will stablize the economy, cure cancer, and bring about world peace!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spracked
Wells Fargo FTW, largest bank on the west coast. Twice as many ATM's and locations compared to BofA. Although Citi is safe too, only reason their still in business is because they are so big internationally. They got too involved in subprime and took almost a 7 Billion dollar loss this quarter. Wells Fargo MADE 1.8 billion last quarter. Choice is simple.
I had a premier business account there and it was nothing but BS. I had random charges here and there that they would later take off. I closed the account a few weeks ago and it was wierd that they didn't even ask me why I closed it.

I've had the same wamu account for 6 years now with no problems. I hope things stay the way they are.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by dvo
I had a premier business account there and it was nothing but BS. I had random charges here and there that they would later take off. I closed the account a few weeks ago and it was wierd that they didn't even ask me why I closed it.

I've had the same wamu account for 6 years now with no problems. I hope things stay the way they are.
Hmmm...the "#1 triple AAA bank in the world" getting negative feedback from a former customer! I'm shocked! LOL.

BTW, I wonder if Henry J works for or has any affiliation with Wells Fargo.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
stylett9

OP, I used to work at Wells Fargo and am now at a credit union. If you are serious about switching banks and would like to know what i can offer you shoot me a PM. Just as a referance point, i work for Kinecta FCU. 3rd largest in Ca, 9th largest in the US, formerly known as hughes aircraft credit union. We go back to the 1940's and have a capitol ratio of 8.5%.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM
wynd d z33

Originally Posted by Profink
You guys should check out ING Direct. It pays more interest then any local bank, offers a checking account that also offers interest and has no minimums. I keep a local bank just so I can have some paper checks and extra ATM access but most of my money is kept at ING.
same here ..! but i have wamu?? hope thats not true havent had any problems with them!!

Last edited by wynd d z33; 07-28-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 PM
henry j

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Hmmm...the "#1 triple AAA bank in the world" getting negative feedback from a former customer! I'm shocked! LOL.

BTW, I wonder if Henry J works for or has any affiliation with Wells Fargo.
i said i work there..
Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 AM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madpanda
ROFL interest accounts do make money.
I see what dspiel is trying to convey, but I believe you (dspiel) see that in years passing... when the value and buying strength of a dollar is different now than it was in the 70's to 80's (even canadian money is gaining strength over the dollar... ) But as others and you, have said, Money is money and I'm not going to complain..

Originally Posted by mrg1981
I have never heard a single good thing about the service at Wells Fargo. I personally (and my business for that matter) bank with a community bank that is owned by a larger holding company with 66 banks. They use the Wells Fargo ATM network and you can bank at any of the 66 banks.
I'd recommend that you check them out and see if there is a bank nearby. They are in 17 states.
http://www.capitolbancorp.com/banks.aspx
Well, sounds good, but the closest bank to me... or anyone in LA county seems to be Santa Barbara? that's kind of far (1 hr drive)

Originally Posted by henry j
what i ment was with their products and how they work, all banks have basically the same system, you guys want to bank with a good finacial institution and want your money to be safe go with a credit union
Actually I do have an account at a credit union with my company (Kaiser Fed) but they suck at customer service, as availibility of branches and ATMS.. I only have it to hide my money, since they close REALLY early on weekdays (@ 4am) and never open on weekends, I end up forgetting about it, and it accumulates for future purposes

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Don't worry guys; I heard that when the GT-R V-Spec releases it will stablize the economy, cure cancer, and bring about world peace!
LMAO Waddup Kevin! when you get that GT-R (which I know you will)... we gotta meet up..

Originally Posted by dvo
I've been with WaMu since it became WaMu, since merging with Great Western and the other Savings bank (can't remember, been that long ) But I have had problems, through out the years, on different accounts, but I have been lazy or too busy to change banks... I do give props to WaMu for having a sh!tload of ATMS and branches availible to the public.

Originally Posted by stylett9
OP, I used to work at Wells Fargo and am now at a credit union. If you are serious about switching banks and would like to know what i can offer you shoot me a PM. Just as a referance point, i work for Kinecta FCU. 3rd largest in Ca, 9th largest in the US, formerly known as hughes aircraft credit union. We go back to the 1940's and have a capitol ratio of 8.5%.
I've actually heard of them from my co workers, but my problem again with credit unions are the accessibilities of branches or ATMs... (those little surcharges add up ) But I will be considering your offer stylett9, actually me and a buddy of mine. I will PM you my e-mail addy so you can send me info on opening an account.

The one thing I like about Wells Fargo is that some of the locations around me are open til 7pm.. that's sweet! I don't have to rush over to the bank and worry about it closing because I left at 5:30 and get there when it closes, like at other banks...

I'm really glad that this thread is going on, and I hope it helps some of those that in the need due to the banks probs going on right now.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 AM
wynd d z33

well i thought bofa,wamu,wells an citi were struggling but didnt think wamu was ganna head out

i been thinking about going citi for a while anyone with info on that an how they like it there?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by jubes

I've actually heard of them from my co workers, but my problem again with credit unions are the accessibilities of branches or ATMs... (those little surcharges add up ) But I will be considering your offer stylett9, actually me and a buddy of mine. I will PM you my e-mail addy so you can send me info on opening an account.

I'm really glad that this thread is going on, and I hope it helps some of those that in the need due to the banks probs going on right now.

Yeah i understand the whole thing about availability of the ATM's. Do keep in mind though, that you can withdraw from any Credit Union ATM that's part of a coop network for free, and all 7/11's for free. Anyhow, I don't mean to come on here and sound like i'm trying to sell you an account, so just PM me if you really are interested.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

I originally started out with home savings which turned into wamu, tried that out for several years, but ended up getting screwed over with hidden fees. Moved my money to wells fargo, havnt had a problem since.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
abeklipse

Originally Posted by jubes
But I thought they(citibank) were having probs too? Like the group that owns (I can't remember the name) them was unstable...

Man, did the mortgage fiasco really screw our economy up that bad?
The mortgage mess is either one of the biggest screw ups in ecomomic history or the largest scam.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Profink

The pont of an interest account is really just to make a little extra. Its far from being an investment tool, but if I have the option of having my monthly paychecks deposited into a 0% interest account or a 5% (3% these days) I still opt for the interest. I'm still investing in the stock market, bonds, etc., but the money I need to keep on hand to pay a credit card bill or be groceries in 2 weeks; I'd rather be earning a little interest on.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I hear Washington Mutual is heading downhill..