Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

when i was thinking of putting a system in mine, i found a 5 channel amp that would run everything. i was about the base dimension of a shoe box and about 1.5-2 inches high... but it was almost $700 alone. still toss the idea around every once in a while.. cant decide if i want to or not, already have aftermarket head unit door and rear speakers, so i would just need to do the amp and subs
Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see some of you Biotches at Dallas Raceway tomorrow am.

Kick A$$ good time ! Dress warm.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
ppat1989
Professional

I'll be there. I have to go swap wheels and tires out tonight and replace my damn window motor.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
r1forever

Just letting yall know as there is alot of track guys here. I picked up a set of 370z akebono calipers. Was gonna keep for a project but changed my mind. I have the brackets to bolt up the the 350 or g35. You will just need rotors and stainless lines. Any one interested hit me up. They will be posted in the market place but i will give locals a better deal
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

R1forever, I saw those and wanted them.... But I have to much invested in my stuff...too bad.

Those are awesome brake calipers....good luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee9374
when i was thinking of putting a system in mine, i found a 5 channel amp that would run everything. i was about the base dimension of a shoe box and about 1.5-2 inches high... but it was almost $700 alone. still toss the idea around every once in a while.. cant decide if i want to or not, already have aftermarket head unit door and rear speakers, so i would just need to do the amp and subs
You can get the Alpine PDX-5 for way less than 700$. It's got a super small foot print that you can fit either in the glove box or behind the driver seat cubby.

When I had mines in the Z behind the driver side seat cubby. I took out the bracket where the bose sub would normally go.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Originally Posted by mikes10
anyone got a crappy 10" sub sitting around they are never going to use that they want to give me?
I got a cheap kicker and 12" ported box all brand new (how bout $60 OTD). Maybe time for you to upgrade to a 12" size and get ported box in the process. I have the same box but with a polk sub in the g35.

I paid $60 on a slick deal OTD for 1 box and 1 sub. I got it for the wife and she don't care about it. If anyone wants to give me $60 OTD you can have your self a $99 kicker sub and a $59 box to play with .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...2921&sellerId=

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...ation=Overview
Attached Thumbnails DFW's Lounge-t2ec16jhjg8e9nyfmjohbq9gqywq8-60_35.jpg   DFW's Lounge-kicker.png  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
r1forever

good to meet you travis. thanks for the ride
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
You can get the Alpine PDX-5 for way less than 700$. It's got a super small foot print that you can fit either in the glove box or behind the driver seat cubby.

When I had mines in the Z behind the driver side seat cubby. I took out the bracket where the bose sub would normally go.
Q, there is no way I would pay $700 for a Sub Woofer !

Originally Posted by faiz23
I got a cheap kicker and 12" ported box all brand new (how bout $60 OTD). Maybe time for you to upgrade to a 12" size and get ported box in the process. I have the same box but with a polk sub in the g35.

I paid $60 on a slick deal OTD for 1 box and 1 sub. I got it for the wife and she don't care about it. If anyone wants to give me $60 OTD you can have your self a $99 kicker sub and a $59 box to play with .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...2921&sellerId=

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...ation=Overview

Thanks Faiz, I don't need a 12" unless it can fit in the same hole as the OEM. I might have to go to a Stereo shop soon. I hate that because I will be tempted to replace everything with Baller $hit that I don't need !

I just want to get my oem working right....I might have top rip it apart and find the loose connection.

So let me ask this......my sub will work ig you bang on the speaker housing it will come on...but then eventually it goes off....is it the Sub ? ....or the connection ? Has anybody else had to replace the sub for this description ?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shame i just put a 10" pioneer in the dumpster lol, about to do the same with this 12" kicker competition sub as well....going amp'd quality internals
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Originally Posted by fithamoto

So let me ask this......my sub will work ig you bang on the speaker housing it will come on...but then eventually it goes off....is it the Sub ? ....or the connection ? Has anybody else had to replace the sub for this description ?
Not too sure but sounds like a loose connection to your sub maybe one of the terminals. I don't think it is the amp since the other speakers are working fine. I would go junk yard digging and try to find a speaker. Also you can test your sub by using a 12v drill battery and just touch the terminals of the battery to the sub. Make sure you take the sub out and don't have it connected to the car. Just touch the battery to the sub and it should push out or in depending if you got the polarity right. Just touch it 2 or 3 times quickly and see it move.

That will help you troubleshoot between the sub or the amp. you can also bring the sub in and just hook it up to a receiver just to test it quickly. I am not sure if you have bose or not and if you do their subs tend to be different in resistance compared to off the shelf so they work with their amps. You can always tap into the stock system via line out converter and hook up an aftermarket amp/sub combo.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by r1forever
good to meet you travis. thanks for the ride
NP, it was fun to hang with you, steve and the other guys
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

chris f, i read somewhere (prob here) that it could be the facory amp, but like faiz said it might be the terminals. you could prob tap into the wires right by the amp and run new ones if you had to
so when i bought my car it had a kenwood single din radio in it (and assuming full stereo since they tapped all the wires at the amp) well what made me mad is the factory radio had satellite radio built into it... thinking of pulling out the factory satellite receiver and see if anyone wants

Last edited by travlee; 01-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

chris f, i read somewhere (prob here) that it could be the facory amp, but like faiz said it might be the terminals. you could prob tap into the wires right by the amp and run new ones if you had to
so when i bought my car it had a kenwood single din radio in it (and assuming full stereo since they tapped all the wires at the amp) well what made me mad is the factory radio had satellite radio built into it... thinking of pulling out the factory satellite receiver and see if anyone wants
Originally Posted by faiz23
Not too sure but sounds like a loose connection to your sub maybe one of the terminals. I don't think it is the amp since the other speakers are working fine. I would go junk yard digging and try to find a speaker. Also you can test your sub by using a 12v drill battery and just touch the terminals of the battery to the sub. Make sure you take the sub out and don't have it connected to the car. Just touch the battery to the sub and it should push out or in depending if you got the polarity right. Just touch it 2 or 3 times quickly and see it move.

That will help you troubleshoot between the sub or the amp. you can also bring the sub in and just hook it up to a receiver just to test it quickly. I am not sure if you have bose or not and if you do their subs tend to be different in resistance compared to off the shelf so they work with their amps. You can always tap into the stock system via line out converter and hook up an aftermarket amp/sub combo.

Thanks for the suggestions guys....I will try to take it apart this week if I get some time.

Where is our amp located for the sub ?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

travis might be right. This guy had an issue with his amp on the subwoofer channel.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Thanks for the suggestions guys....I will try to take it apart this week if I get some time.

Where is our amp located for the sub ?
it is under the black styrofoam piece to the left of the spare tire, kind of a pain to get to. only reason i know that is because when i got my exhaust i put 2 layers of sound deadening material back there so it wouldnt drive me crazy
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

it is under the black styrofoam piece to the left of the spare tire, kind of a pain to get to. only reason i know that is because when i got my exhaust i put 2 layers of sound deadening material back there so it wouldnt drive me crazy
2 amps in the vehicle. One for sub and one for speakers. I guess which is a nice thing since the sub amp tends to suck. The one in the spare tire well is for your speakers and the one behind the sub is for the sub. See the video for sub amp removal posted earlier.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-location.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-location.html
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

didnt know that.... i know the cover for mine vibrates and gets on my nerves, so i just turn the radio up more....

my hatch rattles more in the cold weather, assuming because gasses compress in cold weather... the rattling is annoying as hell, and once again i just turn up the radio
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Lol, noobs..

Bose sub is known to cut out frequently until it just stays out. Temporary fix is to bang on the sub housing to make the relay inside the sub amp (located next to the sub, NOT the rear which are for rest of the stereo stuff) make the necessary connection. You can do what a lot of us have done by putting on extra pressure on the relay (gray colored when you open up the sub amp) with paper/eraser/bolts/etc, but that'll go out eventually.

People have had success with replacing the relay itself with one from Radio Shack for ~$5 (on my to do list actually). Alternatively, you can buy a brand new (or it could be refurbished) amp direct from Bose for $83. Last option would be to replace with aftermarket or OEM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Lol, noobs..

Bose sub is known to cut out frequently until it just stays out. Temporary fix is to bang on the sub housing to make the relay inside the sub amp (located next to the sub, NOT the rear which are for rest of the stereo stuff) make the necessary connection. You can do what a lot of us have done by putting on extra pressure on the relay (gray colored when you open up the sub amp), but that'll go out eventually.

People have had success with replacing the relay itself with one from Radio Shack for ~$5 (on my to do list actually). Alternatively, you can buy a brand new (or it could be refurbished) amp direct from Bose for $83. Last option would be to replace with aftermarket or OEM.
winner winner chicken dinner....you are like 5 minutes late

didnt know that.... i know the cover for mine vibrates and gets on my nerves, so i just turn the radio up more....

my hatch rattles more in the cold weather, assuming because gasses compress in cold weather... the rattling is annoying as hell, and once again i just turn up the radio

My rear speaker deck rattles since underneath there is a carpet felt pad covering (bose amp/speakers/sub) that has those crappy plastic push pins and they are loose/ my 12" sub rattling the crap out of those fasteners. I need to just order a whole bunch of new plastic nissan fasteners and some sound deadening materials so I can go to town on the trunk.

Last edited by faiz23; 01-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge