MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Texas (https://my350z.com/forum/texas-41/)
-   -   Tire feathering in Houston (https://my350z.com/forum/texas/41632-tire-feathering-in-houston.html)

shemp 09-05-2003 10:07 AM

Tire feathering in Houston

I just thought I would share this with my fellow Z owners. The other day I stopped by McDavid's service department to inquire why my base Z drives loud whenever I slow down to speeds of 30mph and less. One of their mechanics took it for a drive around the block and agreed there was something wrong with it. And now they are going to replace all four tires at no cost! Pretty cool huh! I was expecting to argue with them and insist on new tires.
So if any of you Houstonians haven't been getting any cooperation with your dealer then you might want to try McDavid. I also stopped by my local NTB tire store and get their opinion and they said there was nothing wrong with my tires and that all sports cars are going ride a bit noisy. I made a note to myself to never go to NTB again!

Apexi350z 09-05-2003 12:42 PM

where is McDavid?

zcardave 09-05-2003 12:48 PM

Shemp (and everybody else),

After our last Westheimer Cruise in August, we discovered that 6 of the 7 350's there, had tire feathering. One had had their front tires replaced by the dealership (free of charge). Several others had gone to other dealerships, where they SWAPPED the two front tires with each other....this is not a fix !!! Don't do it !!!

I have been in touch with the Houston area Rep and we're working on getting a Nissan Technical Rep to our October Car Club Meeting to discuss this subject and what Nissan is prepared to do about it. I'll be posting info as it becomes available.

Now, every time I take my 350 out to play, I run my hand over the front tires...just-in-case. 4400+ miles and still no sign...WHEW !!!

zcardave 09-05-2003 12:53 PM

Very suprised about McDavid Nissan....they usually aren't very customer-friendly in the service dept. You must have caught them on a reallllly good day.
Most of our club members have had their best luck with Sterling McCall on 59 South.

Good idea about NTB....just say no ! ;)

One question though....were your back tires feathering too?
I've only heard of the front ones being a problem.
zcardave

shemp 09-05-2003 02:28 PM

My back tires still look great. I've never done any peel-outs yet.
I just might have a little fun with it a few days before they put the new tires on. They just said we might as well just replace all tires so I won't have to worry about uneven wear. I tell you I was really shocked to see how friendly and cooperative they were. Their sales dept were certainly NOT friendly to me earlier this year when I was shopping for my Z. They currently have two roadsters on their lot, both of them have a $2500 "market adjustment" on the sticker price. They sure are a greedy bunch when it comes to sales.

shemp 09-05-2003 02:31 PM

McDavid is located on I-45 South across from Almeda Mall.
It used to be McDavid Honda.

Audito350Z 09-05-2003 05:00 PM

I had my Z at Mossy Nissan a few days ago to investigate pulling to the right. I'll quote the notes the tech wrote on the service ticket: "car was driven several times, no pullin (sic) noticed. Car has performance tires and aftermarket suspension"

ummm... performance tire... wtf does the rocket scientist tech think the car came with from the factory??? Granted, the RE040s are no comparison to my new SO2s...

and the aftermarket suspension... 350EVO swaybars...

needless to say, they did not perform the control arm TSB... I wonder what they will say in a few weeks when I show up with the 350EVO Delrin bushings and adjustable control arms???

PeteH

Moroccan_Mole 09-05-2003 05:54 PM

mossy seems to be a horrible place to bring your car for service if you have mods. i believe they wouldnt do the window grease tsb on apexi's car, because he had dynomat on the doors.

zcardave 09-06-2003 03:59 AM

...yea, that's what's scary about doing upgrades on a new car. Most dealer mechanic's recoil in fear at the sight of anything that isn't original equipment...cowards:icon11: , leaving the owner SOL with their car and any problems they might have.
This is when it's a good time to know a good independent mechanic (not that it helps with warranty work).
My favorite shop (and most trusted friend/mechanic) is Doug Bakke over at Awesome Z (phone #281-219-0015) (shameless plug for a friend).

Market adjustment? What a crock !!! Why don't they just put the MSRP + Dealer's greed factor = sales price.
Luckily, the Z Club of Houston has a sweet deal with a couple of the dealerships in Houston...MSRP on any new Z (including the Roadster) and not a penny more. Buy the car with no options, go to the parts counter, order the parts and get your 25% discount and put them on yourself (or see the shameless plug above:p
zcardave

Apexi350z 09-06-2003 05:28 AM

Originally posted by Audito350Z
I had my Z at Mossy Nissan a few days ago to investigate pulling to the right. I'll quote the notes the tech wrote on the service ticket: "car was driven several times, no pullin (sic) noticed. Car has performance tires and aftermarket suspension"

ummm... performance tire... wtf does the rocket scientist tech think the car came with from the factory??? Granted, the RE040s are no comparison to my new SO2s...

and the aftermarket suspension... 350EVO swaybars...

needless to say, they did not perform the control arm TSB... I wonder what they will say in a few weeks when I show up with the 350EVO Delrin bushings and adjustable control arms???

PeteH

yep, I called the service advisor, and ask him if I have Eibach springs, will the "pulling to the right TSB" still can be perform by dealer free of charge? he said no, since the suspension has been altered. So, I didn't even bother bring it in. I will just swap out the springs before 36k warranty runs to take care of it.

Audito350Z 09-06-2003 08:41 AM

I joined the Z club of Houston last week... does the club have any affiliation with a dealership? I thought Sterling-McCall was a sponsor or something like that?

PeteH

zcardave 09-06-2003 09:32 AM

AWRITE PETE !!!

Glad to have you aboard; we need more 350Z's in the club (although we love'em all).

We are not directly affiliated with any one dealership. The last couple of years Sterling McCall has really stepped up to the plate, offering service specials and other "perks" to the club. Kevin (the parts-guy Dude at SM) says that they want to get all of the Houston parts sales (kinda like Courtesy Nissan in Dallas) with big discounts. Robbins Nissan is trying to woo us to have our next car show at their location. Baker-Jackson, is a long time supporter and still offers us special perks from time-to-time. Baytown Nissan WAS offering us a two-fer-one deal on oil filters (don't know if they're still offering that or not). Advantage Nissan in League City was host to a REAL nice club display last Dec.
Mossy Nissan is trying, but they're such a HUGE chain, based out of California, though it's tough to co-ordinate anything with their corp. office. David McDavid has been the least Z-friendly in the Houston Area.:confused:
but...our best turn of luck has been the newest Nissan Houston Area Rep. He immediately came and joined the Z Club, and everytime that he makes it to a meeting, he brings toys for everybody:icon17: Plus, he's a direct connection to the Texas Corp. office in Dallas for us when we have any problems. This is who I'm working with about the tire-feathering problem.
zcardave

ztom 09-06-2003 09:56 AM

Hey Shemp & ZCarDave:

Where have you guys been for the last 8 months?

This problem has been on-going since late 2002 -
Check my350z @ "Discussions / Repairing / Tire Feathering: FYI". This thread was started on Jan. 7th, and currently has 920 Replies, with 36,600 Views.

The word has been out, and it recently started showing up in several of the Car Mags. You might also note in that thread, that several Lemon Law Buy Back Suits have been initiated. Neither is a good sign for Nissan's flagship 350Z.

zcardave 09-06-2003 10:27 AM

ztom,
look at my join date and count backwards. It says I'm a newbie (whatever that is).

Unfortunately, I don't have oodles (and yes, oodles is a word) of time to spend at this great forum. I usually go to "Texas" and read the stuff from our area.
I went to the 900+ replys about this topic after our last Westheimer Cruise last month. I finally met up with a couple of the guys from the forum and they were telling me about this problem....it was all news to me !

I'm not complaining about the problem; I'm trying to come up with a solution. (luckily, my tires aren't feathering...yet)

Seems like I remember several problems with the Z32's when they first came out too...but Nissan took care of them, just like they will this one.

Are you having trouble with yours?
zcardave

ztom 09-06-2003 11:54 AM

zcardave;

In another 20 days I'll be celebrating my 1st Anniversary (and the expiration of the 12 month / 12k mile warrantee on the tires and
alignment). Since this problem seems to show up between 5k & 8k miles, it looks like I'm sh1t-out-of-luck, since I only have 3k
miles (and no feathering).

Except for the dreadful orange peel paint, which shows up really bad on my Super Black, I love the car.

Any Houston members going to the Austin Car Show on the 20th?
I'll find out Tues. at the Z-Sport Meeting who's going up from San Antonio.

By the way, I'm on your email joke list, which still puts a smile on my face.

articfury 09-06-2003 08:36 PM

Here is my story quickly (or not :)):

Bought car 9/24/2003
~6000 miles - tires replaced due to feathering

between 6000-11000 miles alignment checked and changed per Nissan TechLine several times

~11000 miles - TSB performed, meaning tires swapped side to side and realigned again

~12000 miles - reported that the tires were showing first signs of feathering

~18000 miles - now - tires badly feathered, need to be replaced but Nissan Warranty won't authorize the replacement. The dealership agrees with me that they need to be replaced, but their hands are tied.

NNA Consumer Affairs doesn't seem to be of much help either. I am waiting for some info next week. In the meantime, it is really frustrating when I can't get a hold someone to explain the reasoning the have for not replacing the tires.

Dave,

I will be interested to hear what the Rep has to say about the Z feathering issue.

Derek

zcardave 09-07-2003 04:21 AM

Derek,
ouch, sounds like you've already done the dance with the dealer. Did you, or they, start a case file on your car with Nissan?
(1-800-NISSAN1) Check and find out...it may be your only saving grace.

Are you a member of the Austin Z Club? If not, contact my buddy Rodel (rbautista@activepower.com) and find out what they're doing.
hope this helps some,
zcardave

articfury 09-07-2003 11:57 AM

zcardave,

I have 6 case files with NNA for various things. They just denied my request for a buy back, most likely due to the fact that there is not a fourth documented work to fix the tires. This replacement would be the fourth try I need under Texas Lemon Law. I think the Lemon Law needs to have a clause for more than a certain number of TOTAL repairs not just 4 tries at the same problem.

I am a member of CZOT and know Rodel. I will check if they have heard anything. Rodel is a member here. He posts as doodz.

I am also trying to find a lawyer to help with my issues. I have a feeling that will speed the process, although it could cost me more than it will be worth.

Thanks,

Derek

Inova 09-07-2003 07:15 PM

newbie here.

so the tire feathering is happening to most z owners? how can i check to make sure that mine arent doing it? i have a feeling that they are because they are making a "woom" sound when i slow down..... but i didnt think about the tire. also, what happens if/when they put on new tires? is it just supposed to be fine from then on or are they gonna have to alter some suspension to fix it?

SungNamZ 09-07-2003 07:34 PM

Don't know how many miles on your "Z", but sounds like you have "feathering". The first thing they will probably do is perform service in accordance with TSB. Depending on your dealer and condition of your tires, they might replace. TSB says "rotate". If you read all posts, many feel it will take something more than performing TSB, rotating/replacing tires. Some have done all of the above only to have the problem return. I have had the noise problem since 11,000 mile check. Dealer put it off until 15,000 mile service because "Master Technician" was not available. At 15,000 miles they scheduled for 5 September. "Master Technician" on vacation. Now have 17,000 miles and dealer has scheduled for 9 September. I will post the outcome!