Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

No one uses Megasquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
SoldzMyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etx
I build and setup a MegaSquirt in my 420a powered 2gnt. I loved it, and when I decide to setup something for fuel and spark MS will be it for sure. It's not easy to install, but tuning is straight forward if you understand how to tune a car.
LOL Hey I remember you at 2gnt.com
Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Corbic

Originally Posted by UpRev
LOL yes you did and you edited your post. At least be honest.

And thats not the point in this thread. He is on the my350z board asking about running a MegaSquirt on a particular car.
Can it and leave my thread please. In your few posts you have show a raging bias against MS. Not only do you have to childishly talk down about the system, referring to it as "bias ply tires", which is a better comparison if I was talking about converting a 350Z to a carburetor set up...

But your also a vender for a competing EMS.

...and this is why I hate Car Forums and the Internet.

You, someone which could be taken for a member of credibility, a respected vender and a good source of information... starts bashing MS... so everyone, who has no knowledge, experience or opinion one way or the other, then also takes up your stance that MS = BP Tires.

Before you know it, and entire community is now down on MS because of all the half-truth, second hand knowledge and urban legends that have been circling around it.

KA24DE comes to mind... forever, the 240sx community hated on the engine, it was a "overweight truck engine", I remember seeing stuff like "it's pistons will crack at 200whp" or "the block can't take more then 13psi"... and people believed it... happily swaping in SRs for oodles of cash and the myth was happily excepted by tuner shops making coin selling and installing swaps...

12 years later... ZOMFG 2.4L iron block torque monster that can run 7's making +1000whp.... ZOMFG 500RWHP for less then $3,500... or a proper SR Swap with 190whp.

As for a +2003 Nissan, ie 350Z running MS... no, I have not seen one, which is why I was searching and started this thread. So MS sucks then? Hardly... just because no one has done it, doesn't mean squat. As mentioned, it seems most people here are quite happy to give a shop $1,300+ to install a piggy-back or chip and tune their car for them... even more so, most people seem to have "Supra-Syndrome" and are happy to drop their car off at a shop, spend +$15k, pick it up two months latter and have a 500hp car after begging mommy or swiping a CC.

I mean shyite, your selling a one time flash for $400... an the Tuner is $900...
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
athenG

/\ Most self tuner here use Utec coz it is much cheaper and does what MS does.. You can get a used Utec for $500 and there are loads of base map that you can use. Maybe you want to re-invent the wheel and want to take all the challanges and headache but for some there are more option out there without pulling their hair out.. Utec has full control of the Ignition and Fuel on boost and not to mention it has added safety feature like overboost cutoff, active knock control, boost control...etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Corbic
Can it and leave my thread please. In your few posts you have show a raging bias against MS. Not only do you have to childishly talk down about the system, referring to it as "bias ply tires", which is a better comparison if I was talking about converting a 350Z to a carburetor set up...

But your also a vender for a competing EMS.

...and this is why I hate Car Forums and the Internet.

You, someone which could be taken for a member of credibility, a respected vender and a good source of information... starts bashing MS... so everyone, who has no knowledge, experience or opinion one way or the other, then also takes up your stance that MS = BP Tires.

Before you know it, and entire community is now down on MS because of all the half-truth, second hand knowledge and urban legends that have been circling around it.

KA24DE comes to mind... forever, the 240sx community hated on the engine, it was a "overweight truck engine", I remember seeing stuff like "it's pistons will crack at 200whp" or "the block can't take more then 13psi"... and people believed it... happily swaping in SRs for oodles of cash and the myth was happily excepted by tuner shops making coin selling and installing swaps...

12 years later... ZOMFG 2.4L iron block torque monster that can run 7's making +1000whp.... ZOMFG 500RWHP for less then $3,500... or a proper SR Swap with 190whp.

As for a +2003 Nissan, ie 350Z running MS... no, I have not seen one, which is why I was searching and started this thread. So MS sucks then? Hardly... just because no one has done it, doesn't mean squat. As mentioned, it seems most people here are quite happy to give a shop $1,300+ to install a piggy-back or chip and tune their car for them... even more so, most people seem to have "Supra-Syndrome" and are happy to drop their car off at a shop, spend +$15k, pick it up two months latter and have a 500hp car after begging mommy or swiping a CC.

I mean shyite, your selling a one time flash for $400... an the Tuner is $900...

LOL I'll go in any thread I please, I'm not bashing you or MS, it is what it is and it is nothing more. I asked for information you nor anyone else here are willing to waste time answering. You asked a question and I answered it. I also responded to people claiming contrary.

Forums are for discussion, no one here is willing to discuss because they haven't the slightest clue about the products other than "i installed one and it worked" or "i heard about it before". I gave an actual response and i'll respond to my deriders as I see fit.

The analogy to bias play tires is once again valid as we're talking a huge generational gap between products in the same category. I'm sorry if you don't understand that, I really am.

I am a member of credibility, a respected vender and a good source of information. I'm not bashing the product, I'm telling the truth. It's out dated. Here how about if i put it to you in more simple terms. For $300 you can buy a Pentium2 400Mhz machine you can load Netscape Navigator and you can get to the internet, you can send e-mail from Eudora and interact with friends using AIM. I made very valid claims saying those things, they are all possible and honest. It just so happens that you already have a 2.4Ghz Dell Laptop with Mozilla, Outlook and AIM on it, why wouldn't you use that?

The stock ECU is far more robust, faster, capable, and reliable. Why would you remove the newer better item to go with the older item just because it worked before?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem with using a stock ECU flash is that you can't self tune it. You have to flash it then reflash it blah blah. Not really something you can compare with a piggy back or standalone....gigaflops aside.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by djamps
The problem with using a stock ECU flash is that you can't self tune it. You have to flash it then reflash it blah blah. Not really something you can compare with a piggy back or standalone....gigaflops aside.
You don't at all understand our product. Osiris Tuner is a full self tuning software package. It is a Flash system. Our Pro Tuners use the exact same Flash to do anything they're doing. So you're incorrect sir.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is all too funny beacause I did a bunch of research before I decided to go with a UTEC (do to budget). While researching, I called the local shop and asked them about Osiris. They told me not to bother with it, there are many better options out there.

There goes the sales pitch.

Oh BTW I am not bashing Osiris it's just "what I heard"

I ended up with a Haltech, and BTW I built my own MS unit, tested it, wired it to my OEM ECU, and tuned it. So it's not just a case of; "I installed it and it worked".

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 04-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
This is all too funny beacause I did a bunch of research before I decided to go with a UTEC (do to budget). While researching, I called the local shop and asked them about Osiris. They told me not to bother with it, there are many better options out there.

I ended up with a Haltech, and BTW I built my own MS unit, tested it, wired it to my OEM ECU, and tuned it. So it's not just a case of; "I installed it and it worked".
From a shop that doesn't sell it or know much about it obviously.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jime
Most people have too much money and too little knowledge to setup a Megasquirt.
oh Jim you are too funny
Old 04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
BoostedProbe

From a shop that doesn't sell it or know much about it obviously.
That is the funny part, it was a shop you recomended.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Corbic

LOL yes you did and you edited your post. At least be honest.

And thats not the point in this thread. He is on the my350z board asking about running a MegaSquirt on a particular car.
That is the funny part, it was a shop you recomended.
Oh Snap!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Corbic

You don't at all understand our product. Osiris Tuner is a full self tuning software package. It is a Flash system. Our Pro Tuners use the exact same Flash to do anything they're doing. So you're incorrect sir.
Get off it already and stop using my thread ABOUT MEGA SQUIRTS as a soap box to sell your product.

If anything, since you've carried on so long now, you've completely turned me off to Osiris.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Corbic

So what was your result with the MS and 350Z, or was it another car?

So you tried Utec, then MS and are now with Haltech?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it just me or does MegaSquirt sound like a **** site?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Corbic
So what was your result with the MS and 350Z, or was it another car?

So you tried Utec, then MS and are now with Haltech?
I had the megasquirt on my 97 Ford probe GT, It was supercharged so I needed to controll ignition and fuel. I works great.

I never attempted to run MS on the Z, and ended up buying a UTEC. While building my own turbo kit I had the opportunity to buy a Haltech and took advatage of the deal. Ended up sellin the UTEC, my build:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...brication.html

It was my winter project and the car is almost ready to go for tuning.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 AM
athenG

/\ +1, even for someone who has MS knowledge/experience, there are just to many option for the Z/G35 platform and some are very cost effective that it is really not practical to use MS.

OP, like I said on my previous post, most self tuner here just go with Utec coz it is very cost effective with lots of support and very easy to use... If Utec or E-Ultimate wasn't available for our car then I'm pretty sure there will be more guys experimenting with the MS.

Now that you mention it, I wont be surprise if someone go venture and try the MS but I'm pretty sure that person is just doing it just to be the first or to be different and not because it is more cost effective and practical. just .02
Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Care to elaborate? Im not playin devils advocate and you dont have ot name the shop. But I would like to know what he said because I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the osirus.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
OCG35
Banned

Sorry but I didn't edit my post, that is me being honest. If you can tell time you can see that yourself.
you edited post #16 (which I think is the one he's referring to).
Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by OCG35
you edited post #16 (which I think is the one he's referring to).
I edited my post a 7 minutes after posting it, and not after his reply which was a full hour after.

So in this case it does not apply. Nice try though.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 04-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
OCG35
Banned

I edited my post a 7 minutes after posting it, and not after his reply which was a full hour after.

So in this case it does not apply. Nice try though.
Original posts can be read on email notifications… I read the post I’m responding to before longing on to this site.

So chances are when he checked email, he read your “first” post the way it was originally written (even though that may have been 45 minutes later)… and logged on to post a reply – but of course you edited your post and are not denying it, so even though I really don’t give a ****, it sure seems that he is correct and you are hiding it – “nice try though”

Quick Reply: No one uses Megasquirt?