MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Tuning (https://my350z.com/forum/tuning-448/)
-   -   Cobb as it relates to Uprev custom tune. (https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/477332-cobb-as-it-relates-to-uprev-custom-tune.html)

rich2342 03-02-2010 06:51 AM

Cobb as it relates to Uprev custom tune.

I have a Cobb Protuner who is telling me that the Accessport with thier custom dyno tune/Race beta software has the functionality and capabilities or Uprev.

Is this true? and what specifically can't cobb dyno tune do that uprev can?

I want to ask this tuner knowledgable questions as there aren't any Uprev tuners local to me.

Kwame 03-02-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by rich2342 (Post 8186567)
I have a Cobb Protuner who is telling me that the Accessport with thier custom dyno tune/Race beta software has the functionality and capabilities or Uprev.

Is this true? and what specifically can't cobb dyno tune do that uprev can?

I want to ask this tuner knowledgable questions as there aren't any Uprev tuners local to me.

Did you mean over?

rich2342 03-02-2010 07:01 AM

I did mean over.. Thank-you.

Kwame 03-02-2010 07:01 AM

The best advice I can give you is if you trust your tuner enough to have he/she tune your car you are best to go with the unit they are most comfortable with. If you have a personal preference to one unit over the other then perhaps you should go to a different tuner who is more verse in what you prefer.

For me personally on my build (NA stroker) I plan on going with the Cobb Accessport because that is what my tuner has the most experience with and has a preference to even though he sells both the Accessport and the offerings from Uprev. For me either option has the capabilities to get me where I want to be.

Entaille 03-02-2010 07:07 AM

a tuner is going to push you to use what he is comfortable tuning with. find another tuner if you want a different tuning solution.

guess you just need to look up what each one is capable of and decide what is best for you. that sort of info is readily available with a little bit of research.

tylerxfire 03-02-2010 09:21 AM

uprev is superior to cobb for sure..but as stated the ems is only as good as the tuner, still though if u could drive to a uprev tuner it would be better for u imo..Obviously the tuner sells cobb that u are at so they are gonna push it..If ur n/a and plan to stay n/a then either will be fine for u, but i would not ever run the cobb on a F/I Z

nofearsuzki199 03-02-2010 09:32 AM

man im looking at getting a tuner how muh was yours? and what does it help?

rich2342 03-02-2010 09:40 AM

There is no support for Uprev anywhere near close to me.. Its hard enough finding a reliable dyno shop and the I have to supply the F'ing license and hope they can tune,It Sucks.

There are a lot of suby tuners who obviously carry cobb and can do Nissans as well so that's basically what im left with.

I can't do e-tunes as i don't have wideband(03)

But if im going to get a crappy tune I might just get a generic reflash from uprev?

I tried searching around here and honestly can't find any cobb dyno tune charts or reviews except for the dyno day they had which doesnt mention if they were even tuned using cobb.

Kwame 03-02-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by tylerxfire (Post 8187110)
uprev is superior to cobb for sure..but as stated the ems is only as good as the tuner, still though if u could drive to a uprev tuner it would be better for u imo..Obviously the tuner sells cobb that u are at so they are gonna push it..If ur n/a and plan to stay n/a then either will be fine for u, but i would not ever run the cobb on a F/I Z

We sell both. Please tell me how and why?

tylerxfire 03-02-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto (Post 8187189)
We sell both. Please tell me how and why?

I am not saying from experience as i do not use either of them, but if i were to make the choice to either of the two i would go with uprev as it has proven to work pretty well so far with boosted z's where as cobb has not from what i have seen, both have worked great for n/a applications, everything i have seen from cobb on a boosted z has been failure however for whatever reasons, either way though i am not sold on uprev for the lack of knock detection above 5k rpm, both have flaws imo but i beleive uprev is superior and will be more of an up and coming success to the z community and will continue to improve where as i dont think cobb will compare in the long run..Isnt the developer of cobb now with uprev anyway?

if op is staying n/a and not looking to go F/I ever then i think he is thinking into this too much as both are gonna give gains in the same ballpark

screener 03-02-2010 01:12 PM

I am confused when members are saying one tuning software is superior to the other. I am looking at purchasing either the Cobb or Uprev soon, so if they modify the same parameters for performance how does one do it better than the other. This all seems to be in the hands of the operator to me.

Please do not overlook that most all Uprev purchasers use at least the etune route which is somewhat a custom tune. I really have not seen any feedback on a Uprev mailorder flash, but gains will be hit or miss like all the others.

Cobb on the other with the Accessport has a large customer base that wishes to flash with their canned tunes, and do not get any custom tuning done at all, then report low to no gains accross the board. This makes sence to me since if you use the canned stage tunes Cobb puts on the web it will be hit or miss just like a mailorder reflash.

If one is going to have a dyno tune done then the software used to tune is less important than the tuner you are using.

I'm leaning toward the Cobb Accessport at the moment, look at all the neat add ons you get!! The Uprev is cool but I really do not care about using my cruise for map switching.

My .02

graffkid732 03-02-2010 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rich2342 (Post 8187187)
There is no support for Uprev anywhere near close to me.. Its hard enough finding a reliable dyno shop and the I have to supply the F'ing license and hope they can tune,It Sucks.

There are a lot of suby tuners who obviously carry cobb and can do Nissans as well so that's basically what im left with.

I can't do e-tunes as i don't have wideband(03)

But if im going to get a crappy tune I might just get a generic reflash from uprev?

I tried searching around here and honestly can't find any cobb dyno tune charts or reviews except for the dyno day they had which doesnt mention if they were even tuned using cobb.

How far is R/T Tuning from you? Lansdale, PA. I have been recommended by many to go to Vince at R/T to tune my Z with UpRev Osiris. He's 2 hours from me, but sometimes you have to travel to get what you want.

tylerxfire 03-02-2010 02:06 PM

^^any mail order tune is garbage and a waste imo, a dyno tune is the only proper way, every car is different...And as stated the ems is only as good as the tuner..u say u are confused how different ems's are more superior than the other? i mean look at a haltech per say with all the parameters and control compared to a utec, night and day difference and much more to control with the standalone (this being just an example) some softwares are better than others and allow more control for a better tune

tylerxfire 03-02-2010 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by graffkid732 (Post 8188089)
How far is R/T Tuning from you? Lansdale, PA. I have been recommended by many to go to Vince at R/T to tune my Z with UpRev Osiris. He's 2 hours from me, but sometimes you have to travel to get what you want.

or performance motorsports in long island is a uprev tuner, i drove 6 hours for my first tune to AAM and then 4 hours for my second tune at VTR in long island which i should have done the first time because of the much better tune but anyway, gotta travel sometimes for the goods

screener 03-02-2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by tylerxfire (Post 8188099)
^^any mail order tune is garbage and a waste imo, a dyno tune is the only proper way, every car is different...And as stated the ems is only as good as the tuner..u say u are confused how different ems's are more superior than the other? i mean look at a haltech per say with all the parameters and control compared to a utec, night and day difference and much more to control with the standalone (this being just an example) some softwares are better than others and allow more control for a better tune

Right, Right, but this thread is about the Uprev and Accessport so lets stay on topic. I somewhat understand what you are saying, with your comparison of UTEC and Haltec, but lets not lose track of $ amount either here (apples to apples) I remember back when the Haltec was the dung but getting all the comfort features to work went to the way side. I would have to study the newest Haltec some as I know nothing or care nothing about it. Way to much for a typical street application in my book.

My main question here is there a better way the flash or RTT is achieved between these software. Sorry not savy with the tech lingo, but sampling rates or speed of the process that makes one more effective than the other? Basically we all know what parameters need to be tuned to make a tune produce a better pwr, tq curve, but can one software make it apply better with the same changes to the same vehicle, in the same climate yadda yadda yadda?

tylerxfire 03-02-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by beddow (Post 8188395)
Right, Right, but this thread is about the Uprev and Accessport so lets stay on topic. I somewhat understand what you are saying, with your comparison of UTEC and Haltec, but lets not lose track of $ amount either here (apples to apples) I remember back when the Haltec was the dung but getting all the comfort features to work went to the way side. I would have to study the newest Haltec some as I know nothing or care nothing about it. Way to much for a typical street application in my book.

My main question here is there a better way the flash or RTT is achieved between these software. Sorry not savy with the tech lingo, but sampling rates or speed of the process that makes one more effective than the other? Basically we all know what parameters need to be tuned to make a tune produce a better pwr, tq curve, but can one software make it apply better with the same changes to the same vehicle, in the same climate yadda yadda yadda?

i know this is about accessport and uprev i was just giving examples to understand better....For example a ss box ems can tune in 500rpm incriments and other better ems's can tune in 100 rpm incriments, u can finely tune every rpm with say a haltech again rather than a piggy back that cannot tune every rpm, again just an example, and there are some piggybacks better than others with more control ..Which overall will give u a more solid tune and you will get all ur power out of it with a good ems and safety, also on climate changes some compensate much better than others to weather change, some only can scale to a certain size injectors where others can scale from a stock injector to the biggest u can find...Price def. plays a role in this, u get what you pay for, do u understand at all what i am trying to say, lol, but overall u cant buy a haltech or fcon or something and expect to bring it to anyone and end up with a good tune, u need a tuner who knows what they are doing with whichever ems u use.....As i said i do not have accessport or uprev and do not know all differences in the two, i just have seen uprev work out very well, maybe uprev will chime into this thread or someone more up to date on each...

screener 03-02-2010 04:18 PM

Ok that is something I did overlook. Thanks for reminding me of the rpm increments. Now I am assuming since the tune is flashing with both Uprev and Cobb the increments should be the same right?

Now something to be aware of between the two besides the tuner/operator, off to read up, thanks tyler.

0jiggy0 03-02-2010 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by tylerxfire (Post 8187366)
I am not saying from experience as i do not use either of them, but if i were to make the choice to either of the two i would go with uprev as it has proven to work pretty well so far with boosted z's where as cobb has not from what i have seen, both have worked great for n/a applications, everything i have seen from cobb on a boosted z has been failure however for whatever reasons, either way though i am not sold on uprev for the lack of knock detection above 5k rpm, both have flaws imo but i beleive uprev is superior and will be more of an up and coming success to the z community and will continue to improve where as i dont think cobb will compare in the long run..Isnt the developer of cobb now with uprev anyway?

if op is staying n/a and not looking to go F/I ever then i think he is thinking into this too much as both are gonna give gains in the same ballpark

There has been 1 car on this forum that blew up on the dyno with the cobb. Probly because of the tuner, maybe because of the AP. Their have been a couple Z's on the street, DE and HR that blew up boosted. So I guess the Uprev is flawed too? You admitted yourself you havent used either. yet you know with is better?

Stop listening to this guy OP. Listen to people that have at least used EITHER product.

Admittedly you are going to get more uprev fans on this forum.

I love my Cobb, and Im sure Id love the Uprev just as much if I had it. I bought the Cobb because it was cheaper and I didnt see any reason why the uprev should cost more when I dont see any other features on it that are useful to me. 1 thing I do love about the AP is the little AP I can keep in the car, so I dont have to lug the laptop around all the time to datalog and it can be used as a gauge.

tylerxfire 03-02-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0 (Post 8188531)
There has been 1 car on this forum that blew up on the dyno with the cobb. Probly because of the tuner, maybe because of the AP. Their have been a couple Z's on the street, DE and HR that blew up boosted. So I guess the Uprev is flawed too? You admitted yourself you havent used either. yet you know with is better?

Stop listening to this guy OP. Listen to people that have at least used EITHER product.

I love my Cobb, and Im sure Id love the Uprev just as much if I had it. I bought the Cobb because it was cheaper and I didnt see any reason why the uprev should cost more when I dont see any other features on it that are useful to me. 1 thing I do love about the AP is the little AP I can keep in the car, so I dont have to lug the laptop around all the time to datalog and it can be used as a gauge.

I never said which is better and if u read carefully i am not giving advice i am just saying which I have personally seen work n/a and F/I and I feel in the long run it would be better to have uprev for the sake of upgrading the car to being boosted..I have not seen cobb work out well on any boosted Z to date is what i was saying.. And once again if u can read i said i do not know the differences in the two like someone might who uses them and that maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge on them both...And i said that if op is staying n/a and no plans of FI then he is thinking into it too much as either will satisfy him just fine

screener 03-02-2010 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0 (Post 8188531)

This is why I am leaning toward the Cobb, I think the price is great right now and all the tuning power is offered. Your points are pretty much mine. I mean if used on an average in the same climate conditions, the 0-60 calculations could be very helpful without a dyno, run 5 average, flash run 5 average. I just hate going to the dragstrip anymore and the add ons would give me something to do and numbers for my own entertainment.

I might order tonight, when the wife goes to bed, shhh.

PS I just wanted to add this to the thread. Right now in order to get the same tuning capabilities The Accessport offers from Uprev you would need to spend $700 + shipping, where you only spend $495 shipped for the Accessport. Now thats insanely cheap to have alot of tuning control!