Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Lean Spot At ~2400 RPM...What the?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
856_reilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I'm having a issue where I have a lean spot. We were getting ready to tune and while on the dyno at 2500rpm bank 2 is very lean, bank 1 is fine. While idle or driving under normal load it's fine. It only does it under load. I have sent injectors to DW to have a flow check and all was good.
I have started a thread to see if I could get some help and some guys have been helpful with there suggesstions. We will be doing a smoke test to test for exhaust leak. I was told by a shop today that the greddy manifolds are known to crack. ( there new 1700 mile on them) so I'm kinda like hmmm idk.
I'm lost!!!! I'm tuning in up-rev. Everything seems to be running ok until under load and thats when bank 2 goes lean. We used a new w/b sensor fro the dyno and even swaped them so we would know it's not a bad sensor. Everthing kept reading the same. I talked to Vince at RT Tuning today and he asked me if i were running a return with aftermarket rail and I told him yes. When I explained this to him he said it's a good chance it'sthe dampners. The aftermarket one eliminate the dampners. Does anyone have any ideas or suggesstion? If I have left anything out or you need more info let me know. I'm sure I left somthings out. My brain is so rattled with whats going on!!! thanks guys!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 AM
MR RIZK

^^ If the length of the RFS feed and exit lines are symetrical then I would assume it should be lean in both banks not one.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
Hey guys, I'm having a issue where I have a lean spot. We were getting ready to tune and while on the dyno at 2500rpm bank 2 is very lean, bank 1 is fine. While idle or driving under normal load it's fine. It only does it under load. I have sent injectors to DW to have a flow check and all was good.
I have started a thread to see if I could get some help and some guys have been helpful with there suggesstions. We will be doing a smoke test to test for exhaust leak. I was told by a shop today that the greddy manifolds are known to crack. ( there new 1700 mile on them) so I'm kinda like hmmm idk.
I'm lost!!!! I'm tuning in up-rev. Everything seems to be running ok until under load and thats when bank 2 goes lean. We used a new w/b sensor fro the dyno and even swaped them so we would know it's not a bad sensor. Everthing kept reading the same. I talked to Vince at RT Tuning today and he asked me if i were running a return with aftermarket rail and I told him yes. When I explained this to him he said it's a good chance it'sthe dampners. The aftermarket one eliminate the dampners. Does anyone have any ideas or suggesstion? If I have left anything out or you need more info let me know. I'm sure I left somthings out. My brain is so rattled with whats going on!!! thanks guys!!!!!

i posted in your thread. Your condition isn't anything close to what the damper problem we all have is. I think the first pages here you can read and everyone has the exact same problems and it's nothing like yours.

dampers won't cause bank to bank differences either....the banks are linked with the fuel system.

i'm telling you IT'S AN EXHAUST LEAK. I'd put money on it. You have a lean reading with a car that doesn't drive like it's lean. It's a false a/f reading caused by exhaust leak. No way will a car run smooth at 18:1 actual a/f.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^^ We will be checking everything. I brought up the fuel dampers specifically cause of the RPM range and the fact they are removed. They don't 100% match his condition, but then again we haven't seen the car yet. An exhaust leak would have to be pretty big to cause the condition he is having, like audibly big. If it is indeed an exhaust leak and that is the cause, I would be a little disappointed that a shop had it for months and didn't find it....
Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
^^^^ We will be checking everything. I brought up the fuel dampers specifically cause of the RPM range and the fact they are removed. They don't 100% match his condition, but then again we haven't seen the car yet. An exhaust leak would have to be pretty big to cause the condition he is having, like audibly big. If it is indeed an exhaust leak and that is the cause, I would be a little disappointed that a shop had it for months and didn't find it....
I'm already disappointed that the shop wouldn't even take the time to look for something as simple as an exhaust leak. There's no way it could actually be an 18:1 air fuel ratio and still run smoothly. I have the damper issue and when the car spikes just to 17:1 my car bucks like crazy and that's in vacuum. It would be even worse in boost. A car that drives normal but shows that a/f means there has to be something messed up with the reading.

And ya, you'd be disappointed that a shop missed that but would you honestly be surprised? I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of shops i would let touch my car. It's not just for our cars either. I have a lot of domestic friends that have tons of trouble with ******** shops that cut corners.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
mx594

I also do not think it is a damper problem, simply because it happens under load which is a very very different scenario than what I was experiencing.

I never had any problems under moderate to high loads.

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by binder
dampers won't cause bank to bank differences either....the banks are linked with the fuel system.
Not necessarily true. Recall that I fixed the problem on only bank 2 at first, and had to add a third damper (on the bank 1 rail) to fix the problem on bank 1.

But in this case yes, I agree with you that it is not likely a damper problem, or at least not the same problem I had.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
binder

Originally Posted by mx594
Not necessarily true. Recall that I fixed the problem on only bank 2 at first, and had to add a third damper (on the bank 1 rail) to fix the problem on bank 1.

But in this case yes, I agree with you that it is not likely a damper problem, or at least not the same problem I had.

but he has zero dampers not just a damper in 1 rail and not the other.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Glex25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone running the new fuel rails with dampers from CJM apart from Str8dum1?

Has anyone been able to contact Charles about these lately?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we havent been shipping them lately, waiting for a backorder on the washers to clear. one of these days.

unfortunately our suppliers are unable to keep up on even the most simple and cheap components. we have tried about a dozen alternatives to these washers but none of them fit well enough for our liking, so for now we are waiting it out and focusing our attention on other things.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i just sent a rude email to get me at least 50 before the end of the week and another 500 next week. ill let you know if that works out lol, cause now you reminded me and its getting me all worked up about it... i cant stand when they fail to get me the stupidest thing
Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Glex25

Thanks Charles

You know as soon as you get them
I'm ready to place my order

Really want to try them out before winter sets in here in the northeast
Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 PM
mx594

Originally Posted by phunk
we havent been shipping them lately, waiting for a backorder on the washers to clear. one of these days.

unfortunately our suppliers are unable to keep up on even the most simple and cheap components. we have tried about a dozen alternatives to these washers but none of them fit well enough for our liking, so for now we are waiting it out and focusing our attention on other things.

Have you tried Thompkins? Or are they the ones letting you down?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:22 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i am not familiar with them
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Bump. Still interested whenever available. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 AM
ZEDCAR TT

Any updates Charles or is this dead in the water?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

First batch was quietly sold. I'll have 20 more sets back from the anodizer on Tuesday or Wednesday and then I will be able to take care of the rest of everyone else that's been waiting.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Two full batches of the damper port rails sold out... more in the machines. Only sold 3 sets of the standard rails ever since they came out.

Stage 0 kits have been updated to reintroduce the OEM damper as MX had done.

Better late than never. We have been updating the programming on all of our parts in their most recent batches so its was this parts turn from an update. This fitting would now also be a really good way to tap in to the stock fuel lines for nitrous fuel supply, but nitrous isnt very popular in the VQ world anyway.

Ignore the extra long bolts, I grabbed 10mm longer than needed, proper ones on the way... also ignore the quick disconnect outlet port on the damper, I added that for another project and its the only damper I had laying around for a picture.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM
mx594

Looks familiar LOL.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

it's not your cad, I tossed her together in solidworks.

Quick Reply: Lean Spot At ~2400 RPM...What the?