Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 AM
micho196

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need your opinion guys regarding how to understand values collected by datalogger. It might be rather question for tuners but any opinions appreciated... I use Uprev software and recently found PDF from GTM and they wrote this:

It makes sense for me cuz part of unburned fuel can be burnt further in exhaust pipe and measurements made by external AFR meter located in rear muffler can be obviously different than those from headers...
During calibration I rely only on widebands "on car", dont use any external AFR meter.
Lets assume that my target afr on high load and rpm is 11,5 and I hit the target within 2-3% error...and this is what I want to run in reality!

The question is which measurement is this what you use to calibrate an engine? To hit the target? Feedback from WB sensor on car or from external meter? Or maybe they're quite similar and it's no matter?
It's important because if I want to run AFR 11,5 I should see AFR 10,5 in datalogger. It makes big difference when you try to get rid of knock and you see AFR 11,5 but in reality it's 12,5...
Old 11-20-2015, 12:40 PM
El Verdugo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never rely on the oem wideband sensors to be honest, I mostly go off the ones from my profesional wideband sensor on the dyno and it has not let me down. I target 11.2-11.5 for boosted applications on 93oct.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 PM
micho196

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have pro wideband and simply need to rely on sth so I use oem widebands...
Old 12-16-2015, 09:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Well I have limited tuning knowledge and am slowly learning (suspension is my strong point) but I finally got rid of the stock MAF housing and will be running a 3.5 inch housing. I know I may need to play around with the fuel tables, but what needs to be changed for the MAF ?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

My brain hurts
Attached Thumbnails Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-image.jpeg  
Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
My brain hurts
Nah, it's fun! Get your K factor dialed in. Clear learned fuel tables w/ cipher, then do some datalogs, upload the info into the log analysis tool and it spits out the amount you need to multiply each value in the MAF table by for closed loop. Manually calculate the changes for open loop. Spend 15 minutes changing the MAF table values, download the file to the car, and repeat the process until you get it close.

Last edited by 350Z_Al; 01-13-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:35 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just pulled off my procharger that I had tuned on uprev. I am back to the stock map and am just wondering if there is any benefit in messing with timing tables and fuel with just z-tube, popcharger, smoothed out plenum and runners, 3" y-pipe and custom 3" axle back? Think there are any gains to be had?

I will probably need to make some fuel adjustments anyway as I am not removing the Return fuel system, so it does have a rising rate FPR causing it to run rich in the upper RPM's

It's an 03 nonrev G

I will probably be changing the exhaust system out to something else now that the procharger is off and it will be much quieter.

I read through this thread many times which helped me get my FI tune pretty close, and worked well enough to get me to the dyno for fine tuning. But I am not familiar with NA tuning. Any advice on NA tuning would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Why take off the procharger? N/A tuning is easier and way safer than FI you will be fine.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Power was good but I just want the car to be reasonably quiet again and I never used the power anyway.

I know that it is safe, but I am just not sure on how to adjust it for some NA gains.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Somebody refresh my memory, it's bee a year since I played with my UpRev..

If I make adjustments to the AFR Target table, will the car target these new AFRs or do I need to go through the process of tweaking the MAF Table, and everything else over again?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM
El Verdugo

Depends on how close the actual AFR values are to the target table you will need to adjust slightly the FUEL Compensation table to get close to the target numbers on that table. If the values are far away then you will need to first mess with the MAF Scalar table
The following users liked this post:
350Z_Al (08-29-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 06:06 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Well I've finally come to the point in tuning where I need assistance. I've read a good amount of this thread as well as the UpRev tuning guide + user guide. I understand what all the values mean and do for running an engine. I can't figure out why my low throttle input and low rpm areas keep leaning out. The areas of concern are 1st gear easy take offs and cruising throttle points below 3k rpms. Good amount of exhuast popping and engine studdering. Above 3k rpms, I think I have the tune more than safe. Ign timing is lowered and cam advance is retarded slightly from the stock tune. AFR's hit 12.9 like I want them too. I've tried adjusting my MAF tables and fuel compensation with no luck. I've data logged the MAF, AFR, engine speed, throttle input, and ignition timing to find out exactly where the lean out is occuring. I'll clear the learned fuel settings, add fuel by a calculated percentage to get 14.7 in the proper areas and the engine will still lean out down low under light throttle. I'm stumped. Everything else is tuned and runs exactly how I want except this area.

Martin from R.S. Enthalpy has even built me a map and I'm still having the same issue.

The engine is a VQ37HR with 264/264 cams. long tube intakes, stock exhaust except for y pipe back for now. (will reinstall test pipes and y pipe after the engine is broken in more)

EDIT: I have the most insane habit of asking for help and then solving my problem soon after.

How I solved my seemingly impossible problem. Started with a stock map and multiplied the k value by 3.7/3.5 to account for the displacemnt increase. Then, altered all of my axis to run form 500 to 8000 rpms (yes I plan to rev this high after it's broken in). Next, made my AFR target table to shoot for 12.9 under full throttle and 14.7 from low rpm and low throttle with smoothing accordingly. Based on my previous data logs and maps, I formulated my new fuel comp. and ign. timing maps. Drives like stock in the previous problem areas now. YAAAAAY. Runs about a 13.5 AFR under full acceleration so I plan to multiply the MAF map by 13.5/12.9 above the corresponding 3k rpm voltage and smooth out the transition. One more data log and it should just be fuel comp tables after that. Tuning just became immensly interesting tonight... I'll post my maps up if anyone is curious

Last edited by venture210; 09-17-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Conway_160

Fuel compensation should be 100% across the board, to ease tuning.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:55 AM
venture210

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Fuel compensation should be 100% across the board, to ease tuning.
Yeah I actually should've set the whole map to 100% first and then made changes. I figured it would save a some time add fuel where it previously needed it
Old 09-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Conway_160

Fuel compensation is for very fine tuning at very particular points in the map.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 PM
venture210

Yeah I'm understanding that better now. For the low end issue I mentioned, I think I know what the cause was. For that area, the ECU is usually running 'closed loop' and depends more on the O2 sensors than the AFR sensors. I had my downstreams O2's plugged at one point. After re-installing the only one I had and letting it get hot from a little driving, I ran Cipher to see it's value and noticed that the engine is doing exactly what it should be doing once that value gets to around 0.8ish. Looks like I need to have those in and warmed up for the ECU run the engine properly. I need to research more specifics on closed and open loop related things.

Last edited by venture210; 09-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:05 AM
robb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am new here to the site. I purchased an uprev cable for my 350Z HR and am in need of some hell. I have red and research so many sites and still can't come up with an direct answer. What and how do you adjust the K value? I have tuned my other cars using Megasquirt and it was much simpler, you just input your injector cc's, engine size etc.. The uprev seems to just confuse everyone that I'm seeing posting. why is that? I under stand how to adjust my fuel table, just not the K fuel. Also my car is turbo with 520cc injectors. I have red that we need to set the MAF settings. I have logged but am not sure of what it means by "data word?" Do we adjust this as a percentage, and at what percent?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 AM
El Verdugo

You can get a decent understanding on the Nissan methodology reading this PDF
Page 8
Old 02-10-2022, 09:15 AM
Evan_DMG

Default Help needed

Hey guys new to the forum here so want to start by saying hi.

So to get into the meat of it I own a 350z 03 De. I have recently purchased an uprev tuning cable and I am attempting to map my car to pop bang and shoot flames. Ino a lot of people don’t agree with this and that’s fine that’s your opinion but I would appreciate some support as an intermediate tuner but a beginner pretty much with uprev.

I’ve read on other forums to adjust the timing when on low to no throttle input to -7 on the timing table however I’m unable to pass 0 on my timing table and to adjust fuel map to dump more fuel for intended effect. They also mention to disable over run fuel cut but I do not see that as an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

——————

attached is an image of my drift car!

Old 12-30-2023, 05:54 PM
WyattHaught

Default Vq engine

[what software do you need to tune a 350z hr? I am just getting into tuning and I am reading about utech piggy back, stand alone ecu, e tune. What are the differences what is the best? I just have simple mods done cool air catback exhaust. I know I have a lot more research to do just starting here!

Quick Reply: Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?