Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

03 350z dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Where did you find this and his gains?

I’ve followed this car long before I ever thought about buying a Z...

They made the normal 250ish stock HP and then made 285whp when he added custom long tubes he designed him self after optimal exhaust output testing different designs trying to find where the Z excels and needs improvement to stay competitive for the race class they run in Canada. They did other breather mods to go with it but I remember how much he stressed his custom headers woke this engine up. Which is why everyone with Z’s always focused on long tubes as the first major breather mod.

Then right after the headers he went to high comp pistons and race cams making like 320 or 330whp.. Then they started going for 400 with the ITB’s.. Which they then lost like 60hp after making the ITB’s too large and had to redesign smaller ones for the same reason I’m explaining bigger TB isn’t always better because they lost velocity and vacuum.

This car is half the reason I ever considered buying and racing a Z. The other was Micheal barns who also stated he lost power on a large TB which he then went back to stock for his amazing Canadian track car.

I actually spoke with Mike for a few weeks personally to see if I wanted and should go FI or stay NA power. Mike highly reccomended going FI unless I planned on long nights, tons of head aches and lots of wasted money since I wasn’t going for a specific race class like them for staying high power NA.

But I don’t ever specifically remember Sasha going into detail and specifically mentioning the 90mm TB being the sole factor for his massive gains.

Edit: I actually just looked back at all the articles and videos and still found nothing reguarding the TB being a huge factor in their HP gains. Just the headers, tune, pistons, cams and then ITB’s. Which they lost a ton of power for a while until they fixed the issue then blew the motor due to the stock rods.

Last edited by CK_32; 04-05-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:00 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

When they did the Cam shootout for the magazine I'm pretty damn sure he was on a stock bottom end, I don't recall how much power it made with the 90mm tb and Carbotech, but while it was on the dyno they lifted the upper manifold off and made even more power indicating it is actually starving. You most likely won't find anything on it because the videos that were posted were removed due to copyrights but it did happen. This of course is all with his cams and motec, the car was 3.7 with the HR engine when he blew the rod. The shootout was done on a DE.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 04-05-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:34 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

OK, so I looked for the article the car had a stock engine and made 272whp with the 90mm tb with stock cams and 292whp on jwt cams. 326whp with even bigger cams, the time they had the top off was indeed with a built engine, I was wrong with that. Those are nice numbers and I don't think I could have made more with the stock tb...
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 AM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
He is also one of the best Z tuners in the world. That car also has one off high compression pistons and high comp cams along with a boat load of other things to utilize that extra intake size. It’s the worlds highest NA HP VQ for a reason.
Even before Sasha opened up the head, he had a custom long tube style intake. The big gainer on the DE is the Cams (DE cams are smaller than the Rev Up and HR) and intake/intake manifold.

High compression pistons did absolutely nothing.

Normal cars like the OP have had people buy the 3.5” TB or larger ones have showed their before and after dynos and usually gain minimal to literally 0 HP.
I'll agree there is likely little to no gains on such a large intake without looking at a better intake manifold and cams.

NA is limited by just that. NA, it can only suck so much. Even less as the car ages and parts wear to lose that vacuum. If the 3” TB isn’t a major restriction then going to a 90mm won’t do anything. Because it’s not a restriction at Stock/NA values.
Mostly truth here, the OP should be looking to swap out the smaller cams into something larger (but it would require upgrading the oil pump and rod bolts) The restriction is mainly around the intake Manifold "neck" from the throttle body.

And just like an actual vacuum if you have a 2” stretch hose on it it increases the velocity. If you add a 8” stretch hose it loses all vacuum pressure thus sucking in a higher volume, but at less pressure and velocity. Ie losing air mass being forced in. Aka what a turbo does on its own to a mass degree. Which is why the bigger TB is optimal for it.

It’s more than just air volume. Which is why some people lose power with ITB’s on some cars. Just like Sasha’s when he played with 100 different types of trumpet designs. Some lost the velocity flow by being bigger, smaller, longer, shorter, different shape. You need to maximize both vacuum and velocity with NA engines. Not just one or the other. Which is why it’s so hard to make NA engines HP pigs.
Typically, shorter trumpets favor higher end power at the expense of low end torque, and the inverse is true for longer trumpets.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:52 PM
Kelmo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE wrong car. De is not responsive to bolt on

My 04 350z makes 280.2 horsepower and I don't have expensive longtube headers.....lol. My car is very responsive to everything I've done........lol

Last edited by Kelmo1; 10-12-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:30 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelmo1
My 04 350z makes 280.2 horsepower and I don't have expensive longtube headers.....lol. My car is very responsive to everything I've done........lol
so which is it... you contradicted yourself

Last edited by travlee; 10-13-2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:37 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelmo1
I would check your compression ratio. That crank HP is lower than stock.
Also, csb