Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Can't rev-match with ARC features

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Infamous_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for further details. I am planning on getting tuned with ARC, but after reading this will most definitely not have the ARC features since it sounds like you won’t be able to rev match properly.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

So, just to see if I was going crazy, took my 33 out for a drive around the valley (and a short detour up into the hills) today. I invoked "conscious mode" (vs my usual "just do it without thinking" mode) to see exactly how I downshift.

First thing noticed, when I'm consciously doing this, I miss gears. Hahahahaha. Best to just let my usual reflexes do heel/toe shifting and not try to "watch". Can't find it, grind it. Sigh...

But my actual related findings... Nope, never even get close to triggering the clutch switch nor reducing the air space under the loud pedal to zero (WOT).

There's a few spots going up Hwy 9 particularly one that you go in hot then brake hard, downshift going into an off camber left 180. A 5-4-3 down sequence and not once did I get anywhere close to full clutch stroke (that is, not even enough to get into the clutch switch) and throttle not even close to half throttle depression.

As a matter of fact, with the car stopped in one of the turnout/observation points, I tried (engine off of course) to simulate a full on heel/toe with a stab at WOT with the heel/side of my foot and it physically couldn't be done!

So OK, my conclusion, it has to do with MY style of driving...

OR, my footwork is either flawed or perfect (prefer the latter ),

OR, my foot is too small (or simultaneously too large) to invoke a full right pedal stroke...

OR, the pedals are spaced wrong causing the above...

OR some combination of all of the above.

In thinking back to every car I've owned since I learned how to three pedal shift, I've NEVER used WOT on a single one nor in any condition, street, hills, nor track.

But like you said, CK, we could go back and forth on this all day and only ending up agreeing to disagree, so, let's just agree that I'm right. Hahahahahahahaha.

========================

We're off topic, my bad. Sorry. Please do let us know what you conclude, OP, if your altered driving style works OK or you had to kill the ARC feature by switching to an alternate tune mode.

I'm very curious about this (just from a "good to know" perspective at least) as I've never had any issues like this with my tune... didn't even know about the 2-step rev limiter "feature". Can't recall ever hitting step 1 even on a relatively hard launch.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:01 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
So, just to see if I was going crazy, took my 33 out for a drive around the valley (and a short detour up into the hills) today. I invoked "conscious mode" (vs my usual "just do it without thinking" mode) to see exactly how I downshift.

First thing noticed, when I'm consciously doing this, I miss gears. Hahahahaha. Best to just let my usual reflexes do heel/toe shifting and not try to "watch". Can't find it, grind it. Sigh...

But my actual related findings... Nope, never even get close to triggering the clutch switch nor reducing the air space under the loud pedal to zero (WOT).

There's a few spots going up Hwy 9 particularly one that you go in hot then brake hard, downshift going into an off camber left 180. A 5-4-3 down sequence and not once did I get anywhere close to full clutch stroke (that is, not even enough to get into the clutch switch) and throttle not even close to half throttle depression.

As a matter of fact, with the car stopped in one of the turnout/observation points, I tried (engine off of course) to simulate a full on heel/toe with a stab at WOT with the heel/side of my foot and it physically couldn't be done!

So OK, my conclusion, it has to do with MY style of driving...

OR, my footwork is either flawed or perfect (prefer the latter ),

OR, my foot is too small (or simultaneously too large) to invoke a full right pedal stroke...

OR, the pedals are spaced wrong causing the above...

OR some combination of all of the above.

In thinking back to every car I've owned since I learned how to three pedal shift, I've NEVER used WOT on a single one nor in any condition, street, hills, nor track.

But like you said, CK, we could go back and forth on this all day and only ending up agreeing to disagree, so, let's just agree that I'm right. Hahahahahahahaha.

========================

We're off topic, my bad. Sorry. Please do let us know what you conclude, OP, if your altered driving style works OK or you had to kill the ARC feature by switching to an alternate tune mode.

I'm very curious about this (just from a "good to know" perspective at least) as I've never had any issues like this with my tune... didn't even know about the 2-step rev limiter "feature". Can't recall ever hitting step 1 even on a relatively hard launch.
Great info man, thanks for looking into it! I still haven't been able to get into the car and do some extra testing myself just yet. Just going off of memory for now. However, I should be able to get out and drive it probably Wednesday next week.

I can definitely say, that with an actual heel-toe maneuver I do not hit WOT either. For one, I just don't have the range of motion to depress the throttle that far.

I think I'm seeing this issue when I'm rev matching and not using the brakes. For instance, I downshift and rev match as I approach a corner, input small amount of brake if needed, and then accelerate out of the turn.

Perhaps I'm depressing the clutch in farther than necessary as well and engaging the clutch switch.

Either way, I'm going to need to do some experimenting to see what's going on.

My suspicion is that I need to alter my rev-matching technique.

I'll report back in a few days once I try some things out.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 PM
RENFRO

Was able to get the car out today for some driving and testing. Definitely seemed to resolve the issue when I paid more attention with my throttle input level vs. just being a brute about it.

I was able to repeat the "unwanted" two step and then subsequently alter my rev match throttle input and NOT have the problem.

Long story short, just have to finesse things a bit more and not mash the throttle all the way down on my throttle blips.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I have NEVER gone to WOT to rev match, and I've done many track miles in cars and on bikes.
OP's throttle response must be awful then

Glad you found the issue op
Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 AM
A-Town-Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never gone WOT as well for my downshifts... partly because my flywheel is 13lbs so its super easy to hit my target RPM's without mashing the gas. If I were to WOT rev-match I'd be bouncing off the limiter every time.. lol Glad you figured it out though RENFRO, it was making my head hurt trying to downshift while in my office chair.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:46 AM
RENFRO

Thanks for the input guys. I legit have been able to WOT rev match in the past with no problem. That's with a 13lb flywheel and 272 cams as well. It's not like I stay on the throttle. It's only a fraction of a second.

Either way, I'm able to still get good results with a partial throttle input rev-match.

Just need some more practice!