Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

bare minimum 350z tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 PM
wonderbrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bare minimum 350z tune

hey guys,
I am looking at getting a tune in the future for my daily 350z 04 DE. tune is about 1k AU
And am wondering what if any, bottle necks I am going to have to deal with as far as a good NA build without going too silly.(can't afford a turbo yet and Cats are a legal requirement, **** Australia) I currently have only a catback tomei, and am looking to put on my tomei headers. A motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer and just a pod filter.

Am I looking at any real bottle necks or is the stock car already there?

more on that. Would I need to be upgrading my fuel pump, injectors. any internals or other bolt-on's? thanks.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Cats are a choke point. I would run some high flow cats instead of test pipes as long as it still passes (I believe it should, but I'm not in Australia). Other than that, maybe a 3.5" or 4" intake and a bigger throttle body?

No need to upgrade the fuel pump or anything like that. Maybe some fresh plugs before the tune.
The following users liked this post:
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:26 PM
wonderbrow

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Cats are a choke point. I would run some high flow cats instead of test pipes as long as it still passes (I believe it should, but I'm not in Australia). Other than that, maybe a 3.5" or 4" intake and a bigger throttle body?

No need to upgrade the fuel pump or anything like that. Maybe some fresh plugs before the tune.
I am not very educated on the facts, but aren't high flow cats very prone to blow outs? destroying them? do you have any suggestions or links for the throttle body mate? thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 03:04 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

are cams too far of a stretch?

you could research what motordyne does by shaving the front intake runners and mimic it.

I would forego the headers unless you have already bought them and have an extra 20-30hrs to install them.

also search on this forum on what others have done to realize gains on this engine.
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:04 AM
wonderbrow

Originally Posted by bealljk
are cams too far of a stretch?

you could research what motordyne does by shaving the front intake runners and mimic it.

I would forego the headers unless you have already bought them and have an extra 20-30hrs to install them.

also search on this forum on what others have done to realize gains on this engine.
I am happy to look around. but it's a lot simpler to have some peer input rather than trying to draw my own outcome as I tend to over spend. also would tomei camshafts suffice? I like tomei :3
Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by wonderbrow
I am not very educated on the facts, but aren't high flow cats very prone to blow outs? destroying them? do you have any suggestions or links for the throttle body mate? thanks
I haven't had any issues with my Berk HFCs. I know some people have problems with crap welds for some of the cheaper options.

As far as the TB, I went with the NWP 75mm from Z1 (https://www.z1motorsports.com/electr...ng-p-8385.html). Some will say this is worthless since there is still the bottleneck issue with the plenum, but to each their own
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Gym membership helps too, i know i could use some power to weight ratio improvement putting on this holiday weight....

Just joking, or am I?

All good suggestions above. Good luck with whatever you decide!
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I am happy to look around. but it's a lot simpler to have some peer input rather than trying to draw my own outcome as I tend to over spend. also would tomei camshafts suffice? I like tomei :3
tomei makes some good stuff. Its an intensive task and more difficult than your normal bolt-ons. But a aggressive street cam (call it 260-270degree) along with your other mods would open things up.

are you going to do these items yourself or pay a shop?
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:24 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

With only a cat-back exhaust I would hold off on the tune, until you put the headers on. Even then, with exhaust only, you may not benefit much power-wise, but you will want to watch your A/F ratio, so that you are not running too lean.

Also, I wouldn't bother with any 'cold air' intake, unless it's a bigger diameter, at that point, you will want to get a tune. This is also when injector size will come into play, but you don't know until you're on the dyno, tuning it. I believe the biggest limiting factor on the de engines are the intake ports, as well as cam size. To improve on these factors becomes expensive very quickly.

It sounds like you are wanting to do forced induction in the future, if so, I would say hold off with any more modifications or tuning the car. As the headers, intake, and other parts you use for n/a will not be applicable for a turbo setup.
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 PM
wonderbrow

tomei makes some good stuff. Its an intensive task and more difficult than your normal bolt-ons. But a aggressive street cam (call it 260-270degree) along with your other mods would open things up.

are you going to do these items yourself or pay a shop?
Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster
With only a cat-back exhaust I would hold off on the tune, until you put the headers on. Even then, with exhaust only, you may not benefit much power-wise, but you will want to watch your A/F ratio, so that you are not running too lean.

Also, I wouldn't bother with any 'cold air' intake, unless it's a bigger diameter, at that point, you will want to get a tune. This is also when injector size will come into play, but you don't know until you're on the dyno, tuning it. I believe the biggest limiting factor on the de engines are the intake ports, as well as cam size. To improve on these factors becomes expensive very quickly.

It sounds like you are wanting to do forced induction in the future, if so, I would say hold off with any more modifications or tuning the car. As the headers, intake, and other parts you use for n/a will not be applicable for a turbo setup.
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Gym membership helps too, i know i could use some power to weight ratio improvement putting on this holiday weight....

Just joking, or am I?

All good suggestions above. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I haven't had any issues with my Berk HFCs. I know some people have problems with crap welds for some of the cheaper options.

As far as the TB, I went with the NWP 75mm from Z1 (https://www.z1motorsports.com/electr...ng-p-8385.html). Some will say this is worthless since there is still the bottleneck issue with the plenum, but to each their own
so my best options as far as an na build. with my tomei headers. and catback. are as follows: highflow cats. throttle body extension, plenum spacer, cams and weight loss. sounds good and under 2k. before tune. any opinion on the tomei cams?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Piggybacking:

With large diameter intake> throttle body > Plenum Spacer > HFC's >Y-Pipe >Exhaust What sort of gain would you expect to see?
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Originally Posted by Cracka350
Piggybacking:

With large diameter intake> throttle body > Plenum Spacer > HFC's >Y-Pipe >Exhaust What sort of gain would you expect to see?
Every engine and dyno reading is different, but you could probably expect around 260-270 whp at the higher end.
wonderbrow (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

throttle body extension
whats a throttle body extension?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Chihuahuamaster

I believe he means a larger diameter throttle body. The only 'extension' I know of is the plenum spacer for the de engines.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:39 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Old 12-21-2018, 06:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

you know that feeling in the bottom of your stomach when someone (who may not know any better) asks you if a throttle body spacer is going to add power?
BluestreamDE (12-21-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 05:46 AM
dnash

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

you know that feeling in the bottom of your stomach when someone (who may not know any better) asks you if a throttle body spacer is going to add power?
All you have to do is smile and nod....
Old 12-22-2018, 12:27 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dnash

All you have to do is smile and nod....
Totally!!

mmmm-huh! at least 7hp

Hows the Haltech?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:54 AM
dnash

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hows the Haltech?
Pretty good, turns out it works pretty good as a shelf weight! I just picked up the Haltech CAN gauge and adapter. I am planning on finishing my intake mods before installing and attempting to tune.