Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Motul if it's so bad for VQ Eng why does Nissan???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 AM
StoneZtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Motul if it's so bad for VQ Eng why does Nissan???

Motul

I really want to try it but I keep reading people saying it's not good at all.

If it was really that bad why would Nissan Nismo and Autech use it in there GTR-500 and 350GT 500 cars for racing??

Is there anyone out there who is using Motul in there HR setup? that really likes it.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it wasn't good for a stock VQ or at least just a waste of money...
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM
StoneZtech

Smile

Shop here in MD where I live they have it in stock and they seem to really like it.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:13 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is an excellent racing oil, but it has been shown in used oil analyses that the Motul 300V doesn't do as good a job as "lesser" oils. It isn't that the Motul 300V is a bad oil; it just isn't any better (and maybe a bit worse) than the more pedestrian synthetics on the market.

For racing (high heat and abuse) or short duration oil changes, go for it.

I ran the 300V 5W40 and have since switched to Rotella T-Syn 5W40; the rotella is giving me better UOAs, and it costs about 1/3 the price of the Motul....and I can get the Rotella T-Syn locally.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 AM
StoneZtech

Anyone use 8100 line?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by StoneZtech
Motul

If it was really that bad why would Nissan Nismo and Autech use it in there GTR-500 and 350GT 500 cars for racing??

there is your answer right there. your car is not a race car
Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 AM
dieselmcore

motul is also the oil of choice for the WRC wrx's. but for the normal non-race spec WRX's ive heard alot recommend Mobil 1, not too sure y.... but yea...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
mcarlomagno

We'd have to have someone like Will chime in on this and explain why.

But I'd be more to point you in the same direction that Z04 said, in that your car isn't running the same life cycle as a race car. Constant hard acceleration and deceleration and possible higher heat is not what your daily driver goes through.

However, I'm not a petroleum or oil engineer so I can't give you a definitive answer. Ask me a mechanical question and I'd be glad to help
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
jmark

I would check out Will's informative oil threads.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you people need to also remember they use (or say they use) these oils because Motul SPONSORS them.

I use thier diff oil and love it.
The following users liked this post:
Smiley12 (10-08-2022)
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by StoneZtech
Anyone use 8100 line?
I have run the 8100 in my HR for about 6 months now. I love it. No complaints and doesn't burn a drop. I went with the recommendation of Sharif@forged on the Motul oil. He did recommend the 300V for FI applications and the 8100 for NA.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
StoneZtech

Originally Posted by g356gear
I have run the 8100 in my HR for about 6 months now. I love it. No complaints and doesn't burn a drop. I went with the recommendation of Sharif@forged on the Motul oil. He did recommend the 300V for FI applications and the 8100 for NA.

Really,

Can you please get OU and what are your running please

Full Specs would be very helpful

Please let us know why you like and how many miles you have on your HR also what SAE are you running 5w-40? 5w-30? Are you running Eco clean or X -clean.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
zul8r

I was using mobil 1 on a jwt twin setup and for some bizare reason switched to royal purple huge mistake the car started smoking slightly but if I let it idle for more than like 3 minutes it would smoke like a frieght train so after a couple of oil changes I was thinking the motor was starting to get tired .I was talking to Mike at AAM and he suggested motul v300 best thing I ever did no more smoke and it just seems to run better royal purple SUCKS.I am real happy with the motul.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

300v 10-40 here... why? i don't know, probably because wallmart does not sell it ...

Name:  DSC00431.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  39.9 KB

Last edited by Tac-M; 05-12-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
SpoilsofWar

If you want to use Motul products then use them. They are not "bad" oils, like Quadcam said there are just some oils out there that have shown better results in UOAs. Motul certainly will not damage your engine though. You will just be paying a premium for similar or slightly worse results.

And you sure wouldn't be the first my350z member to buy something just because it had a certain name on the package, or because a dealer of it told them it was the best.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motul is not "bad" for the VQ engine.

It is an expensive oil and the oil analysis results don't support the increased cost over other options. QuadCam mentioned his own results, and how engine wear was reduced switching from Motul 300V 5W-40 to Rotella T-Syn 5W-40. Shushiakary is another example of someone who used Motul, both the 8100 series and 300V 5W-30, and noticed that his wear results were significantly higher than the better-performing oils that have been tested. He switched to Amsoil's TSO 0W-30, which had nine UOA tests performed and the average result was very good. His next analysis on the Amsoil showed very similar results to the universal average for that oil in the VQ, and his engine wear was cut by two-thirds. His next analysis was done with Schaeffer's, another oil with very low engine wear results, and his analysis showed that engine wear was right in-line with the average results and a third of what he had with the two Motul oils.

My thoughts as to why Motul increases engine wear, as well as all the data I've mentioned here, is in the Oil Analysis and Oil Data Sticky.

As far as why Nissan uses it in racing, it's because they have a contract for sponsorship. They had a five year contract that was extended for two more years. It was actually a bit of interesting dealing, because when Renault bought a controlling share of Nissan, they had just extended a contract with Total to have Elf oils sponsor Renault's racing efforts. Elf oil also wanted to become involved with Nissan's efforts, and a partnership for development was made between Elf and Nissan. However, the racing sponsorship was already contracted for Motul, and Elf never made it onto Nissan's racing scene, at least in the Super GT series. Now, Nissan won the JGTC with both Castrol sponsorship and Pennzoil (Shell) sponsorship before Motul came on board, and who knows who they will sign on next when the Motul contract expires. Maybe it will be renewed again, maybe Elf will be contracted as a sponsor and Excellium will be the next hot oil brand every Nissan owner wants to use. I don't know, but I do know that what is used in a racing engine, and designed for racing engines, is not necessarily the best for a passenger car engine. I also know that the name that appears on the sides of race cars does not always indicate the best option for their customers, but rather, the indicates who offered the most money for that space.

Link to Elf Oil's partnership with both renault and Nissan: http://www.elfoil.com.au/news/articl...aredGoals.aspx
I don't know what happened with this development, since Nissan uses Esso Oil as factory fill, (overseas division of Exxon-Mobil) and uses M1 as performance oil fill (M1 0W-40 is factory fill in the new GT-R).

It's all just business when it comes to the names you see on your favorite race cars, and corporate sponsors and partnerships ebb and flow. Use what you like, Motul won't destroy your engine, but there are those (I'm one of them) that don't see the point in spending extra money for Motul engine oil when the data from analysis doesn't look very good.

Will
Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
StoneZtech

Smile

Originally Posted by Resolute
Motul is not "bad" for the VQ engine.

It is an expensive oil and the oil analysis results don't support the increased cost over other options. QuadCam mentioned his own results, and how engine wear was reduced switching from Motul 300V 5W-40 to Rotella T-Syn 5W-40. Shushiakary is another example of someone who used Motul, both the 8100 series and 300V 5W-30, and noticed that his wear results were significantly higher than the better-performing oils that have been tested. He switched to Amsoil's TSO 0W-30, which had nine UOA tests performed and the average result was very good. His next analysis on the Amsoil showed very similar results to the universal average for that oil in the VQ, and his engine wear was cut by two-thirds. His next analysis was done with Schaeffer's, another oil with very low engine wear results, and his analysis showed that engine wear was right in-line with the average results and a third of what he had with the two Motul oils.

My thoughts as to why Motul increases engine wear, as well as all the data I've mentioned here, is in the Oil Analysis and Oil Data Sticky.

As far as why Nissan uses it in racing, it's because they have a contract for sponsorship. They had a five year contract that was extended for two more years. It was actually a bit of interesting dealing, because when Renault bought a controlling share of Nissan, they had just extended a contract with Total to have Elf oils sponsor Renault's racing efforts. Elf oil also wanted to become involved with Nissan's efforts, and a partnership for development was made between Elf and Nissan. However, the racing sponsorship was already contracted for Motul, and Elf never made it onto Nissan's racing scene, at least in the Super GT series. Now, Nissan won the JGTC with both Castrol sponsorship and Pennzoil (Shell) sponsorship before Motul came on board, and who knows who they will sign on next when the Motul contract expires. Maybe it will be renewed again, maybe Elf will be contracted as a sponsor and Excellium will be the next hot oil brand every Nissan owner wants to use. I don't know, but I do know that what is used in a racing engine, and designed for racing engines, is not necessarily the best for a passenger car engine. I also know that the name that appears on the sides of race cars does not always indicate the best option for their customers, but rather, the indicates who offered the most money for that space.

Link to Elf Oil's partnership with both renault and Nissan: http://www.elfoil.com.au/news/articl...aredGoals.aspx
I don't know what happened with this development, since Nissan uses Esso Oil as factory fill, (overseas division of Exxon-Mobil) and uses M1 as performance oil fill (M1 0W-40 is factory fill in the new GT-R).

It's all just business when it comes to the names you see on your favorite race cars, and corporate sponsors and partnerships ebb and flow. Use what you like, Motul won't destroy your engine, but there are those (I'm one of them) that don't see the point in spending extra money for Motul engine oil when the data from analysis doesn't look very good.

Will

Will I guess I will be doing M1 0-40 with my new 08 HR setup :-)

Thanks for info that really helped.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Peak350

Racing oils sometimes have better "bases" to work from, meaning that on a 500 mile cycle they could perform better, but the cheaper oils that have additives that help reduce wear and oil breakdown will perform better on long term changes etc. M1 for example will outperform redline oils almost every time in a street application because the redline oil is intended for hard use and short change intervals, when used for something different it doesn't perform correctly.

I'm using Amsoil for what its worth.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
go-fast
Banned

just because a race car has a motul sticker on the car does not mean it's in the motor.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

If it has the SAE/API seal on it, it's good! So, stock up with the one that's on sale!!! Don't abuse the extra miles you can go with synthetic, and you'll do just fine. I've been using Mobil 1 since the mid '9Os, and, so far, no problemo.

Quick Reply: Motul if it's so bad for VQ Eng why does Nissan???