Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Tachometer needle bounces when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
itsjiggajames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer needle bounces when shifting

When I shift my tach needle bounces.. or when i'm cruising and I get on the gas and get off it bounces + - 250rpms, unless I let the clutch out softly.. and btw its not a driving pattern because my brothers 08 350z does not do this. I was wondering how many of you guys experience the same issue as me? I did a search and found some people have it, some don't, some say its normal, some say it isn't.. so how many of you HR owners experience this? It's easy to spot, it'll bounce whenever i shift into the next gear.. so say my 1st gear shift into 2nd would land me at 3k rpms, it'll bounce (very quickly) around 2800-3200 for a split second before stabilizing into second.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:49 PM
MCDesign

Sounds normal to me my hr does it. Its just very accurate.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:04 PM
itsjiggajames

damn, what's crappy is some cars do it, some don't. some people say they even got it fixed yet theres so many people that say its normal too. lol.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I think it's normal to bounce a little bit (my 07 does it), but I've seen some videos that bounce waayyy too much, like there's definitely a mechanical problem with the needle.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:22 AM
KGsZ

Exact same thing is happening to my 08. It seems very wierd. i thought i was messing up till i saw people talking about that so it isnt me its the car. And now it makes wierd noise when i take off slowly like somethings in stuck in the gears for maybe like 2 seconds and gets normal.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
AREITU

Does the car rev up with it?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Luong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 does that too! I thought it was normal Only seem to notice it when I shift up though
Old 10-07-2008, 11:12 PM
hellsoldiers08

well i have a 07 model and i have experience some of what you guys have said and Not as many rpm that you have said but same concept. I have noticed its when you release the clutch when shifting, because when i do a good clean shift that it doesnt happen. If i do one were i think i landed it correctly it do the little bounce. You just got to match the rev of the gear to the rev of the rpm gauge if that makes any sense.

I guess what im trying to say is about how smooth and clean your shifts are. Ill admit the the oem clutch length doesnt help with the smooth shifts. I have heard of people doing the adjustment with the clucth to make is shorter, but the thing is people wonder if the clutch fully disengages or not. You may want to try this mod out.

If im wrong about any of the lower half then please do feel free to correct me please.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 AM
itsjiggajames

ya you can call it a "clean" shift or a slow clutch release at the rpm landed.. i've driven other 07-08 manual Zs and some do it some don't. I even let the clutch out fast on some Z's and they still don't do it. If I do that on my Z, i'm bouncing like a ****.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM
KGsZ

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
ya you can call it a "clean" shift or a slow clutch release at the rpm landed.. i've driven other 07-08 manual Zs and some do it some don't. I even let the clutch out fast on some Z's and they still don't do it. If I do that on my Z, i'm bouncing like a ****.
Yeah exactly! and as for the sound my Z's making the dealer said its ok they usually make sounds. But come on im paying all that money for my car to sound messed up?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
chrisl113

i have the bouncing needle, but as far as the noise i think i figured out that its flywheel "chatter", i took my 07 to the dealer and he said it was normal, too, and that he hears it in all z's. if im correct than that means the lighter aftermarket ones like the nismo "chatters" more. it sounds like somethings loose/rattling, but is more involved with using the clutch at lower rpms/speeds...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Justin@IOS
Sponsor
IOS Performance

Mine was doing this a few months back. It got to the point where a quick shift or even just hitting the gas quickly would cause the needle to jump quite a bit. I Took it to the local dealer and they swapped it out for me. New unit in the car now has been fine so far.

The only downside is that the dealer needs to keep your car since the ODO is part of the unit.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 AM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by Justin@IOS
Mine was doing this a few months back. It got to the point where a quick shift or even just hitting the gas quickly would cause the needle to jump quite a bit. I Took it to the local dealer and they swapped it out for me. New unit in the car now has been fine so far.

The only downside is that the dealer needs to keep your car since the ODO is part of the unit.
When you say hitting the gas quickly, are you talking about when you are on the freeway, say cruising around 60mph and you blip the gas starting with your foot off the pedal and then quickly blipping it and it jumps?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:00 PM
m3inaz

This happens sometimes on my 2005 non revup..

Also I have had the "sticky tach" happen to me before as well. Where for whatever reason when theres direct sunlight on the tach it sometimes makes the needle stick.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your mechanical timing as well. Are you running an aftermarket crank pulley? If it eats away at the keyway, you will end up with the bounce, but also usually a CEL as well.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Dozzi94

It happens all the time. Whenever I push my clutch in (when I'm in gear and moving), really, it'll rev up a bit before it comes down.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by Dozzi94
It happens all the time. Whenever I push my clutch in (when I'm in gear and moving), really, it'll rev up a bit before it comes down.
no, thats not what we are explaining... thats something different. I'm talking about engaging into next gear and rpms dropping.. not disengaging and having revs increase
Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Check your mechanical timing as well. Are you running an aftermarket crank pulley? If it eats away at the keyway, you will end up with the bounce, but also usually a CEL as well.
nope, i'm running stock crank pulley.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:01 PM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
no, thats not what we are explaining... thats something different. I'm talking about engaging into next gear and rpms dropping.. not disengaging and having revs increase
I probly ain't reading this right.. But isn't the rpms suppose to drop when u switch into a higher gear?? It's not suppose to stay the same unless your reving it a bit harder as your shifting. Whenever I shift up my rpms drop cuz of the gear. If thats what you mean it's like that in every car.. I mite be reading it wrong.. Oooo BTW.. Were u a member on ephatch?? Your user name looks familiar.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:33 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
I probly ain't reading this right.. But isn't the rpms suppose to drop when u switch into a higher gear?? It's not suppose to stay the same unless your reving it a bit harder as your shifting. Whenever I shift up my rpms drop cuz of the gear. If thats what you mean it's like that in every car.. I mite be reading it wrong.. Oooo BTW.. Were u a member on ephatch?? Your user name looks familiar.
perhaps the OP doesn't know how to rev-match correctly

Quick Reply: Tachometer needle bounces when shifting