Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

^anyone else have it on his car ?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 AM
FastGreg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
None of those have enough throw with the factory size master cylinder and the clutch won't release.
Those require about a 1" master cylinder to throw far enough to release a OE clutch configuration. They work with a tilton or QM clutch because those don't require the throw to fully release that a stock style or upgraded single disk clutch do.
There are about a dozen other reasons why they won't work also.....
Sure ?
Attached Thumbnails HR - Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel-img_6690.jpg   HR - Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel-img_6676.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FastGreg
Sure ?
The clutch shown is not OE, Looks like a single disk, non-marcled rigid set-up with a aluminum pressure plate cover.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 AM
morphling

Hey,

I am quite fresh owner of hr 2007/08 model and I have to buy new flywheel, however, my clutch seems to be fine, could you guys please tell me if the original Nissan clutch matches aftermarket flywheels?

I wanted to buy some Exedy flywheel, or maybe you can recommend something better? (more quiet)

Last edited by morphling; 07-20-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by morphling
Hey,

I am quite fresh owner of hr 2007/08 model and I have to buy new flywheel, however, my clutch seems to be fine, could you guys please tell me if the original Nissan clutch matches aftermarket flywheels?

I wanted to buy some Exedy flywheel, or maybe you can recommend something better? (more quiet)
Yes, most of the flywheels work with any DE or HR clutch kit. The South Bend is the quietest, We recommend a good fluid in the trans also which really helps keep them quiet. We really like the Motul Gear 300 which we stock now.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
None of those have enough throw with the factory size master cylinder and the clutch won't release.
Those require about a 1" master cylinder to throw far enough to release a OE clutch configuration. They work with a tilton or QM clutch because those don't require the throw to fully release that a stock style or upgraded single disk clutch do.
There are about a dozen other reasons why they won't work also.....
Sorry to bring up an old post. I read through all the post and all the pages, and this question I don't think has been brought up.

Joe, I'm going to direct these questions at you because you are engaged and very knowledgeable. I'm at 44K miles on my 08 HR and will be needing a new clutch setup/slave from you shortly. I will most likely go with a SoundBend clutch/flywheel and HD CSC.

You mentioned that some aftermarket slaves do not work because they don't give enough throw with an OEM master cylinder. I"m assuming your HD CSC is the same bore size as OEM to give the proper/adequate throw to use with the OEM master?

This brings up the question of the Wilwood mastercylinder. Is this a larger unit, thus moving more fluid? If so, will it help move the HD CSC/TOB out further, improving life of the tranny synchros?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2fasst
Sorry to bring up an old post. I read through all the post and all the pages, and this question I don't think has been brought up.

Joe, I'm going to direct these questions at you because you are engaged and very knowledgeable. I'm at 44K miles on my 08 HR and will be needing a new clutch setup/slave from you shortly. I will most likely go with a SoundBend clutch/flywheel and HD CSC.

You mentioned that some aftermarket slaves do not work because they don't give enough throw with an OEM master cylinder. I"m assuming your HD CSC is the same bore size as OEM to give the proper/adequate throw to use with the OEM master?

This brings up the question of the Wilwood mastercylinder. Is this a larger unit, thus moving more fluid? If so, will it help move the HD CSC/TOB out further, improving life of the tranny synchros?
Our HD Slave is the same size as the stock unit internally so it moves the same distance.

The Wilwood is the same size as the stock master on the HR, They release slightly better than the OE due to its design as it will start to move fluid sooner than the stock unit giving it a slight edge in release.

You can change a lot with the clutch itself to release sooner/quicker saving the trans. We, in conjunction with South Bend can custom build just about anything you like, If you want a really quick release we can do it, if you prefer a longer/smoother engagement we can do that also but the kits will always release as well if not better than stock.
We stock most of the custom set-ups, even though we don't list them on the website.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So my clutch pedal makes some popping sounds when I release it after engaging in gear. Dealer is telling me it's the Throw Out Bearing. Would this upgrade path seem reasonable? Swap out the CSC for an Upgraded CSC, and upgrade Clutch + Flywheel all at once? I'm sorta confused as to what part the Throw Out Bearing is. Is that part of something I am wanting upgraded or a totally separate deal?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Deteria
So my clutch pedal makes some popping sounds when I release it after engaging in gear. Dealer is telling me it's the Throw Out Bearing. Would this upgrade path seem reasonable? Swap out the CSC for an Upgraded CSC, and upgrade Clutch + Flywheel all at once? I'm sorta confused as to what part the Throw Out Bearing is. Is that part of something I am wanting upgraded or a totally separate deal?
Throw out bearing, also called a release bearing is part of the Slave Cylinder (CSC) on the 07+ cars.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh so once I upgrade the CSC, i won't hear that popping noise ever again?

Also my Z has been making that popping noise ever since 10k miles when I picked her up (and my Z had the CSC TSB done @ 1000 miles according to Nissan's records) and now I'm at 36k miles. It's always been popping, and it's annoying. Is it going to go out soon? It makes popping noises more often when it's warm out, but I'm thinking cuz the CSC is plastic and when it's warm = softer and cold = harder/durable.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Houston Z33

I think my clutch is going on me and, I'm on borrowed time. I seems to slip and cook after 6-7k and, The "pickup" just isn't there anymore. If I daily drive and shift around 4 it's fine.

I understand HR's have the Plastic CSC inside the bell housing, I know to get an aftermarket aluminum one so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Coming from a older cars - I don't quite understand this Dual Mass Flywheel business. I understand that it can not be resurfaced and I'll need to replace it along with the clutch right?

I hear the flywheel goes out....but it's a hunk of metal, wtf.

Forgive my ignorance, Normally when a clutch goes you unbolt tranny and replace it - If I understand correctly it's just simply not that easy with this car.

Please advise.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM
noKio1R

Originally Posted by vnarang
I was wondering how many (HR) owners have already changed out their clutch and flywheel and to what? As I am looking to change mine out too. Also, if anyone could give their thoughts about changing it out, whether or not they liked it, the feel, etc.
"I didn't want to quote your thread, it's a direct post."

I changed my clutch to OS Giken STR2CD. "Awesome clutch by the way."
I'm probably the last person to post this and not the first, but there are too many unnecessary brackets under the Z.

for every '07-'08 Z or Nismo owner, while changing out the clutch (flywheel and all).You will definitely need the Wilwood Master Cylinder and the Zspeed HD CSC. Not cheap or anything like such, but definitely worth your money.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
I think my clutch is going on me and, I'm on borrowed time. I seems to slip and cook after 6-7k and, The "pickup" just isn't there anymore. If I daily drive and shift around 4 it's fine.

I understand HR's have the Plastic CSC inside the bell housing, I know to get an aftermarket aluminum one so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Coming from a older cars - I don't quite understand this Dual Mass Flywheel business. I understand that it can not be resurfaced and I'll need to replace it along with the clutch right?

I hear the flywheel goes out....but it's a hunk of metal, wtf.

Forgive my ignorance, Normally when a clutch goes you unbolt tranny and replace it - If I understand correctly it's just simply not that easy with this car.

Please advise.
Dual-mass flywheels are two-piece, with the contact surface separated from the center hub/drive ring by a spring assembly that absorbs crankshaft harmonics and driveline vibrations/clutch chatter. Because of the moving nature of this part, it cannot be machined on a lathe as a normal flywheel would, since it is not solid. JWT I believe made fixtures to hold them and machine them, but in general it's considered a replacement only part.

If you are going back with a stock type clutch you can use the stock flywheel over again with no problems unless it has been overheated badly or warped. If you aren't pushing excessive power through it or really slipping it hard (racing while it's slipping), it should be just fine to re-use.

It's so simple to drop the trans in these cars, I would just try the clutch only first and if you have a chatter or vibration then get another flywheel. The factory ones are absurdly expensive but you WILL get more noise/chatter with a soild aftermarket unit due to the design difference. All these large displacement V6 engines use dual-mass units to help with the inherent chatter.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Italianjoe1

Originally Posted by noKio1R
"I didn't want to quote your thread, it's a direct post."

I changed my clutch to OS Giken STR2CD. "Awesome clutch by the way."
I'm probably the last person to post this and not the first, but there are too many unnecessary brackets under the Z.

for every '07-'08 Z or Nismo owner, while changing out the clutch (flywheel and all).You will definitely need the Wilwood Master Cylinder and the Zspeed HD CSC. Not cheap or anything like such, but definitely worth your money.
Did an OS Giken twin on mine, very nice clutch, a bit much for a daily driver but awesome when pushing the car. I thought the Z trans removal was super easy compared to other cars i've done prior, even older Z cars. I did the Zspeed upgraded components as well.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 PM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have purchased the Willwood Master/HD Slave with the South Bend Daily Stage 2 Clutch and Flywheel as I had the failure at 105K on a stock clutch.The kit comes with Motul300V so I guess I will know more in a few days.Joe was great on the phone and got it out quickly.

I did not get the silent option and went with 19lbs flywheel.Kit will arrive Monday,shop should have it back to me hopefully by Wed evening.

EDIT:Parts arrived last evening,just dropped off parts this morning at shop.(including new rotors/pads)

Last edited by HK350 Z; 07-02-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:07 PM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stock DMF vs aftermarket SMF

Reviving this old thread since it's the one that seems to have the most info on the subject....

So a new clutch is up next for my HR
Going with a southbend stage 2 daily plus, and I'm still debating on replacing the flywheel. I was considering the southbend billet steel 19lb or the JWT iron 26lb (I have no interest in those super light aluminum ones), but I'm concerned about the infamous clutch chatter getting worse and loss of torque at low rpm's.

Been doing a lot of reading on here and from what I gathered, given that I use my Z for spirited driving and occasional commute to work, keeping the stock dual mass flywheel is probably my best option. But I have no idea in what shape it will be and if I will be able to reuse it with 105k on the odometer and you can't resurface them. A new oem flywheel costs almost twice as much as the southbend unit and 3 times as much as the JWT. Hoping some of u fellas with experience on the subject will chime in and give me some feedback on the pros and cons of the aftermarket single mass flywheels, and if I choose to stay with the stock dual mass how likely will it be that I'll be able to reuse the original one with 105 k miles on it.
I will definitely be upgrading to an hd csc and wildwood master cylinder while at it...

Thanks in advance for info

Last edited by DesertSleeper; 08-28-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:15 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm under the impression that you cant use a non dual mass on that flywheel but can be wrong

Secondly I also plan on a mid weight flywheel cause the lightweight doesn't do it for me. I've been wanting Southbend stage two but the vendors on here say I can get better for cheaper so still debating. Lastly I plan on the Z speed elimination kit
Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 PM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I'm under the impression that you cant use a non dual mass on that flywheel but can be wrong

Secondly I also plan on a mid weight flywheel cause the lightweight doesn't do it for me. I've been wanting Southbend stage two but the vendors on here say I can get better for cheaper so still debating. Lastly I plan on the Z speed elimination kit
You can't use a non dual mass on that flywheel? Sorry u lost me brother

What better brand do the vendors recommend for cheaper?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:25 PM
Italianjoe1

There is no cheap dual-mass option.

Odds are, your flywheel is fine, but if you have had it slipping for a long time it could be overheated and damaged.

There's no real downside to a normal, non-dual-mass flywheel. Yes there may be a bit more clutch chatter at idle, it happens with these large V6s, but it's not a big deal on a sports car IMO. There's no such thing as a "loss of torque" with a lighter flywheel. If anything the engine is always able to accelerate easier spinning a lighter flywheel. The reason people think that is that it's easier to stall an engine with a lighter flywheel, but it's from mass reduction and lower inertia, not less torque.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:13 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Guys,

Just installed JWT clutch and flywheel, HD CSC, and HD master.

All back together and it doesn't seem that the clutch is disengaging...

Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HR - Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel