Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

BigBlue's '07 HR

Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Good luck on the tune! I think you are the only HR with the Stillen/Vortech kit pushing the limits of the stock block on the forum, good luck! Very interested on your results.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:04 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Good luck on the tune! I think you are the only HR with the Stillen/Vortech kit pushing the limits of the stock block on the forum, good luck! Very interested on your results.
Thanks a lot man! I didn't realize that, maybe somebody else on the forum with a stock block HR has got a similar setup, but I don't know. I'm also very interested in seeing how your car performs once you get that beast of a blower (V7) installed and dialed in! Congrats to you and what you are doing with that great Z of yours.

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.
BluestreamDE (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:54 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by craig12895
Havent read through the majority of this, but might I ask why you aren't running a Gates Fleetrunner HD belt? (i.e. the green belts)

Only asking because I do see you were asking about possible pulley issues.
I've just used the same belts that the Stillen kit came with; put this new one on not because I needed a new one, but it was a yr. old and it was a good time to put a brand new one on with blower out of the car.

I looked around at the Fleetrunner HD belts on different sites, but couldn't find anything that shows any comparison between the two Gates belts; are the green ones stronger than the one I show in the pics and/or do they grip the pulleys better? If so, I'd pick one up. Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 04:44 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've just used the same belts that the Stillen kit came with; put this new one on not because I needed a new one, but it was a yr. old and it was a good time to put a brand new one on with blower out of the car.

I looked around at the Fleetrunner HD belts on different sites, but couldn't find anything that shows any comparison between the two Gates belts; are the green ones stronger than the one I show in the pics and/or do they grip the pulleys better? If so, I'd pick one up. Thanks
They tend to help on our platforms because we are only able to utilize a 6-rib pulley system. The benefit to the HD belt is that it stronger, but it also has a bit of stretch to it. So that means you can install it on the car and make your belt tensioner much tighter which will then constantly keep the belt tight and reduce slip.

I use the HD belt on my v7 setup and it grips all the way to 8k rpm and Im pushing 23-25psi. What size is your current belt? I have the whole Gates parts list document saved on my computer so I can see what the closest size they have for your application is.
BigBlue (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:17 PM
BluestreamDE

Thanks a lot man! I didn't realize that, maybe somebody else on the forum with a stock block HR has got a similar setup, but I don't know. I'm also very interested in seeing how your car performs once you get that beast of a blower (V7) installed and dialed in! Congrats to you and what you are doing with that great Z of yours.

NP! Yea I'm excited on my YSi and what power I will be making in the future. I will be happy with anything near or above 700whp. Gonna take Craig's advice as well with the HD belt as well.
BigBlue (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 PM
BigBlue

They tend to help on our platforms because we are only able to utilize a 6-rib pulley system. The benefit to the HD belt is that it stronger, but it also has a bit of stretch to it. So that means you can install it on the car and make your belt tensioner much tighter which will then constantly keep the belt tight and reduce slip.

I use the HD belt on my v7 setup and it grips all the way to 8k rpm and Im pushing 23-25psi. What size is your current belt? I have the whole Gates parts list document saved on my computer so I can see what the closest size they have for your application is.
Thanks for the info! I will call Stillen and ask for that 7 rib drive belt size that came with the SC kit; I know that it's different (longer) than stock due to the extra idler and jackshaft pulley on my kit. *I can ask them also if they can get that particular drive belt. I'll contact you when I know the exact belt size.

Would you recommend the smaller (8 rib) blower belt also (like the one I show in some pics above)?

Wow I didn't know that you are running a V7 with 23+ psi! What kind of a whp/tq zone are you in?

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:28 PM
BigBlue

^ Craig, one thing is that my '07 has a spring loaded automatic drive belt tensioner, wouldn't that keep my existing Gates belt tight enough?

I found an invoice from Stillen when I bought the 2.87 blower pulley and a new drive belt and it shows #407750-04. Could you take a look and see if that sounds like the right one? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:24 AM
craig12895

Would you recommend the smaller (8 rib) blower belt also (like the one I show in some pics above)?
I would recommend the HD belt anywhere you can, meaning everything belt you have that is ribbed, I would go green. Only reason I say that is because us older DE model guys have a cog belt and Gates doesn't make them HD.

Wow I didn't know that you are running a V7 with 23+ psi! What kind of a whp/tq zone are you in?
Actually havent had a chance to get it on the dyno. Id expect at least 700-750whp and over 600tq. Definitely pushing the limits considering its a high compression (11:1) engine and still running pump gas.

one thing is that my '07 has a spring loaded automatic drive belt tensioner, wouldn't that keep my existing Gates belt tight enough?
That doesn't make it a little trickier considering you aren't able to manually tighten it. Not sure the HD belt would make as drastic of a difference in that case but I would think it is still beneficial.

I found an invoice from Stillen when I bought the 2.87 blower pulley and a new drive belt and it shows #407750-04. Could you take a look and see if that sounds like the right one? Thanks.
That part number is only bringing me to the supercharger kit itself. The belt number should be something like
K######
Where each # represents a number. That number will be printed directly on the belt if you happen to currently have access to your car.
BigBlue (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 AM
craig12895

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
NP! Yea I'm excited on my YSi and what power I will be making in the future. I will be happy with anything near or above 700whp. Gonna take Craig's advice as well with the HD belt as well.
Reading this and Bigblue's reply about the other supercharger belt reminded me, you will want to get rid of your old cog belt.

I can help you get past some of the roadblocks that I ran into. Being the first of few to go high HP vortech was tricky and caused some troubles so you should message me and I can help you make it as simple as it can be. Either shoot me a message here, find me on FB, or send me your phone # and we can go through some of the hiccups I hit
The following 2 users liked this post by craig12895:
BigBlue (04-09-2018), BluestreamDE (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:49 AM
BluestreamDE

Reading this and Bigblue's reply about the other supercharger belt reminded me, you will want to get rid of your old cog belt.

I can help you get past some of the roadblocks that I ran into. Being the first of few to go high HP vortech was tricky and caused some troubles so you should message me and I can help you make it as simple as it can be. Either shoot me a message here, find me on FB, or send me your phone # and we can go through some of the hiccups I hit
Thx brother I appreciate it!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 AM
BigBlue

Thanks Craig for the good info! Yeah, I will go see if I can read # from the belt right now and let you know. Sounds like I'd want to go "green" on the 7 rib drive and 8 rib blower belts; only makes sense to me.

Man, your car sounds like a beast for that V7 on pump gas! Nice of you to offer help to bluestream to save any hassles for him.

Edit: Craig, the belt #s have worn off of drive belt so I just called Kenny at Stillen, gave him that item # from the invoice and he was able to search what that Gates belt # is. The drive belt is #K071040 and my 8 rib blower belt (from my above pics) is Gates Micro V K080220. I asked if Stillen had or can get those belt sizes in Gates HD "green" and he couldn't, so if you would can you do any cross-reference from these belts to the HD belts? I'd sure appreciate it and I would get the two belts ordered. I did order a 3 pack of blower lube 4oz. bottles (my V3 is a self contained unit).

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-09-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM
craig12895

The drive belt is #K071040 and my 8 rib blower belt (from my above pics) is Gates Micro V K080220.
So just to break down what these numbers mean, in K071040, the '07' refers to the number of ribs. And the '1040' refers to the length (104.0 inches).
The closest sizes I can find to that are K071013HD and K071056HD. HD just means heavy duty (i.e. green belt).

So if your current tensioner has some extra room you may be able to use the 105.6" belt. And on the other hand if you notice that when you put your belt on that it has a bunch of extra slack in it then you may be able to get away with the 101.3" belt but that is a stretch because pulling 3 inches out of the belt length is pretty substantial.

And regarding the K080220 belt, there is no HD belt made that short so that isn't an option.
BigBlue (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 PM
BigBlue

So just to break down what these numbers mean, in K071040, the '07' refers to the number of ribs. And the '1040' refers to the length (104.0 inches).
The closest sizes I can find to that are K071013HD and K071056HD. HD just means heavy duty (i.e. green belt).

So if your current tensioner has some extra room you may be able to use the 105.6" belt. And on the other hand if you notice that when you put your belt on that it has a bunch of extra slack in it then you may be able to get away with the 101.3" belt but that is a stretch because pulling 3 inches out of the belt length is pretty substantial.

And regarding the K080220 belt, there is no HD belt made that short so that isn't an option.
On the Jegs site I found the K071040, which is the belt I have on; outside circumference is 105.71" I'll keep looking for this in the HD fleetrunner. Check this link out: http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/K071040/10002/-1

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:08 PM
craig12895

On the Jegs site I found the K071040, which is the belt I have on; outside circumference is 105.71" I'll keep looking for this in the HD fleetrunner. Check this link out: http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/K071040/10002/-1
The 1040 length generally correspond to its 'effective circumference' rather than the outside circumference of the belt. So just make sure that you are comparing the same values when looking at different belts.

If you would like to send me your email I can send you the document of Gates full line of belts. I find that much easier to sort through than searching websites
Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 PM
BigBlue

The 1040 length generally correspond to its 'effective circumference' rather than the outside circumference of the belt. So just make sure that you are comparing the same values when looking at different belts.

If you would like to send me your email I can send you the document of Gates full line of belts. I find that much easier to sort through than searching websites
Thanks, this Gates belt is the same one that I bought from Stillen, so it should fit fine if I find the same K071040 in the HD fleetrunner.
Also for the jackshaft rear 22 5/8" 8 rib belt I found this "rpm" belt (way more expensive than the regular Gates micro-V belt that is on my blower, I bought from Stillen, but the K080220 is the right one, just don't know why it's called rpm. Could it be the "HD" belt I'm looking for? http://www.z-industries.com/k080220r...dditional-info I'll pm my email address.

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-09-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:27 PM
craig12895

Thanks, this Gates belt is the same one that I bought from Stillen, so it should fit fine if I find the same K071040 in the HD fleetrunner.
Also for the jackshaft rear 22 5/8" 8 rib belt I found this "rpm" belt (way more expensive than the regular Gates micro-V belt that is on my blower, I bought from Stillen, but the K080220 is the right one, just don't know why it's called rpm. Could it be the "HD" belt I'm looking for? http://www.z-industries.com/k080220r...dditional-info I'll pm my email address.
So the RPM and HD are different. I have used both on my platform and RPM didnt work for me for the exact reason the HD does work. The HD is strong and stretchy. The RPM is strong and very rigid, it has no give to it at all.

Im not sure how the automatic tensioner will work with either of these setups but the manual tensioner that the DE has works excellent with the HD belt and horrible with the RPM belt.
BigBlue (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 AM
BigBlue

Havent read through the majority of this, but might I ask why you aren't running a Gates Fleetrunner HD belt? (i.e. the green belts)

Only asking because I do see you were asking about possible pulley issues.
Craig, I contacted Jegs and Gates themselves; both said that both of the belt sizes that I need (that are on my car now) are not available in the HD/fleetrunner/green style right now. I think that I'll be fine for now, but thanks a lot for all of your help!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:11 AM
craig12895

Craig, I contacted Jegs and Gates themselves; both said that both of the belt sizes that I need (that are on my car now) are not available in the HD/fleetrunner/green style right now. I think that I'll be fine for now, but thanks a lot for all of your help!
No problem. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.
BigBlue (04-10-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:21 PM
BigBlue

I just got a call from my tuner regarding the log that I did this a.m. checking a smaller list of specific parameters only as requested by him: wide band AFR's bank 1+2, ignition timing, knock strength, rpms, maf volts, throttle pos., air fuel correction, injector duty cycle.

He just told me that things look pretty good, but I'm about maxed out on fueling, I have a Walbro 255 fuel pump that I may need to upgrade to their 300 lph unit or so, plus my maf sensors are about 90% on the voltage, so I may soon be looking into fueling upgrades; I have 600cc injectors, but he recommends going to 1000 cc.

Any recommendations for upgrading the maf sensors? If you guys know a top brand/model for dual sensors please let me know.

I set my ROM Editor to those parameters in my driveway (car had already been driven to get the fluids warmed up), started logging and drove 1/2 mile to this nice parkway (40 mph zone) and did the 2nd gear stomp to 7,500 rpms into 3rd to 7,500 redline and just focused on my tach, but was at 100 in a few seconds. The new SC trim gives some significant punch and the car can really romp!

The tuner wants to come down South here in the near future and get it more dialed in and smoothed out which will be nice to do those "live" open road tunes using his tuner software, plus fun to make a tune that way. Can't imagine how you V7 SC and TT guys must feel! * Again, suggestions for fueling upgrades and maf sensor upgrades will be much appreciated. Also, do you think I'd need to improve fuel rails, or would a studlier pump/injectors/ mafs be fine? Thanks and have a Bueno weekend!

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-13-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 PM
BigBlue

Just a note: If any of you UpRev guys want to give my tuner a try just pm me for his shop phone #; I highly recommend him as do several Z club guys that I know who swear by him. Kurt is a master mechanic, a full blown gear head and addicted to the drag strip! He's been racing for many years and just sold his full race Z28 and is building an 800+ whp GTO and I think is the only UpRev dealer in Utah; is very meticulous in his work and is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet! *I told him I'd give him a shout out. You can call him, ask what list of things to log, save it, email it to him (maybe with a description of what you did with the car to get the log) and he will email a tune back to you; well worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BigBlue's '07 HR