Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

[Informed Decision] Suspension or Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default [Informed Decision] Suspension or Exhaust?

Hey all I have a question for everyone, well a couple actually. I'm hoping to have some experienced members help me make an intelligent/informed decision on my first upgrade to my car.

Suspension:
  • Bilstein B8 or B6(Still can't decide)
  • Tein S-Tech Springs
  • Hotchkiss Sway Bars
  • Whiteline Bushing Set(This might not even be a purchase this year, later)

-----OR-----

Exhaust:
  • HKS True Dual Exhaust

DON'T STOP READING

Now, my shocks already need to be replaced. I made a thread regarding a sound that was coming from my suspension earlier. I got it checked out and the mechanic said my shocks are starting to wear, and my endlinks have a little play but not a lot. Also, my right wheel bearing needs replaced since it sounds like it's grinding.

So my question is, should I go for the suspension upgrade since my shocks already need replacing? Or buy stock shocks, keep the stock swaybars, springs, and bushings; And go with the exhaust upgrade?

A little information on the car, it's a daily driver, I plan on taking it to the track/dragstrip occasionally(we don't have a close track, just a lot of drag strips. It currently has 120k miles on the car(not that it matters).. Now the roads here are 100% dog crap, they're all torn up by the constant amount of semi traffic. But I mainly drive on the highway. I don't want that 0.5in drop to be of any concern that I might clip something. I cross railroad tracks daily, and some bumps are the size of speed bumps, if not a tad bit smaller.

Goal:

I want to eliminate the feeling of not having control while going 80mph. Currently my car feels like the wheels are barely touching the ground, and I almost don't feel in control of the car. It doesn't feel entirely stable going at speeds from 60mph-80mph. I'm hoping with the suspension upgrade the car feels more stable, I get more power to the ground, a slightly comfier ride compared to my worn out suspension, I want to eliminate the amount of roll my car currently has while turning, and I want to ensure my wheels stay on the ground no matter what bump I hit on the highway.

The exhaust for me is purely for the sound of the car, I want to hear more of the gurgle, and less of the sound of air. I love the deep gurgle sound the stock exhaust has, but I want less of the air sound that comes with it.

Anyways, I hope some of you take the time to read my thread. If you do, I thank you.

Last edited by Theminatar; 06-23-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Theminatar
Hey all I have a question for everyone, well a couple actually. I'm hoping to have some experienced members help me make an intelligent/informed decision on my first upgrade to my car.

Suspension:

-----OR-----

Exhaust:

These aren't even close nor is this a debate.

Suspension over exhaust ANY DAY of the week because it truly wakes the car up. Exhaust just makes it louder in the bathroom during morning wake up rituals.

I mean, you answered your own question:

"Goal:

I want to eliminate the feeling of not having control while going 80mph."

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-23-2017 at 11:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
jv350z (06-23-2017), Theminatar (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 AM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

i knew i should have stopped reading with such a big warning disclaimer ....

"Goal:

I want to eliminate the feeling of not having control..... my car feels like the wheels are barely touching the ground, and I almost don't feel in control of the car. It doesn't feel entirely stable ........"

safety vs sounds good to driver.

need any more info?
The following users liked this post:
Theminatar (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
These aren't even close nor is this a debate.

Suspension over exhaust ANY DAY of the week because it truly wakes the car up. Exhaust just makes it louder in the bathroom during morning wake up rituals.

I mean, you answered your own question:

"Goal:

I want to eliminate the feeling of not having control while going 80mph."
Thanks man, one last question. Instead of repeatedly hitting the same nail over and over through the years. Can you point me to a good article/reference for sway bars, regarding oversteer and understeer. I don't know how I'd want to set up the sway bar, and I'd like to learn more about the different styles and set ups.

I'm still newer to the car "scene", and I'm trying my best to learn everything on my own.

Originally Posted by tampa_joey
i knew i should have stopped reading with such a big warning disclaimer ....

"Goal:

I want to eliminate the feeling of not having control..... my car feels like the wheels are barely touching the ground, and I almost don't feel in control of the car. It doesn't feel entirely stable ........"

safety vs sounds good to driver.

need any more info?
Lol don't worry, as I was typing this up I knew I was going to get a lot of remarks like this. As I was typing it, the decision was forming a bit more in my head as to what to do. Sometimes it's just good to talk(type) it out.

Last edited by Theminatar; 06-23-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 AM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

"Sometimes it's just good to talk(type) it out. "

nothing wrong with talking it out--- it's the listening part that is harder
Theminatar (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Theminatar
Thanks man, one last question. Instead of repeatedly hitting the same nail over and over through the years. Can you point me to a good article/reference for sway bars, regarding oversteer and understeer. I don't know how I'd want to set up the sway bar, and I'd like to learn more about the different styles and set ups.

I'm still newer to the car "scene", and I'm trying my best to learn everything on my own.
Start here: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ion-101-a.html

Then read through this for some specific recommendations: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

Quick Tip (adjustable sway bar setup):
If you are doing adjustable sway bars for the first time: ALWAYS start in the softest position front/rear (holes closest to ends of bar) - the bars in this position are already stiffer than stock and may be all you need UNTIL you know your limits on steer-in, steer-out. Then, you can adjust them - one hole at a time - to determine exactly where you like/need them to be for your type of driving and environment.

Just as a refresher on sway bar settings:

To INCREASE oversteer - stiffer REAR bar setting vis a vis the front.

To INCREASE understeer - stiffer FRONT bar setting vis a vis the rear.

Example: I run a slight oversteer setup (but not so much so as to throw the rear all the way out on every turn) by running full soft - hole #1 - FRONT and slightly stiffer rear bar setting - hole #2 - REAR.

Note: Perfect for me. But ME only because that's how I like it.... maintains good, sharp turn-in/rotation but keeps the car right pedal controllable; giving me the ability to turn in, break the rear a bit if needed to get through a tight or decreasing radius turn OR getting off pedal to get the front to slide out a bit if I've overcooked it into a drift (needing a bit of opp-lock correction) versus a "good flat corner".

I don't know your skill level but I say this to anyone who asks me: I do NOT advise an oversteer set-up unless I know you know what you're doing behind the wheel.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Theminatar (06-23-2017)