MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   VQ35HR (https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr-479/)
-   -   South Bend Stage 2 Flywheel and Clutch daily kit(vid included) (https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/581064-south-bend-stage-2-flywheel-and-clutch-daily-kit-vid-included.html)

HK350 Z 07-06-2013 06:22 PM

South Bend Stage 2 Flywheel and Clutch daily kit(vid included)

After driving 150miles today,I had to call it a day.Pedal pressure is a little more than stock, but not by much,but it is there.I like the feel of release so far and that should only improve.No issues with dead pedal in heavy stop and go traffic at 100 degrees today.I would say the pedal feel as a whole is better than stock.Clutch grips just fine,no slippage detected under limited load due to break in.

Clutch chatter is about the same as stock and pretty quiet.You can hear it sometimes below 1500-2000 but quickly goes away and happened maybe 5% of the time spent driving.not an issue.With the AC on, you will hear chatter a bit more at times in lower rpms,but again not an issue.Starting the car on hot starts you will notice the rpms will dip for a minute,but I am going to give the ECU some time to adjust to that.

Shifting gears was pretty smooth,everything felt good and tight.First gets a little notchy but nothing crazy or testy.Did a lot of upshift,downshifts and the such and everything felt good.

I will be heading out again tomorrow for some more break in, hope to get around 200+ miles.I start my 100 miles commutes again on Monday.The clutch should be fully broken in around Monday evening.I will update later this week.

Here is a quick instagram vid I took while washing the Z after pick up,this is after 14 miles on the clutch.

Joe @ Zspeed, thank you sir, feel free to direct anyone my vid if they have a question about chatter with the 19lbs flywheel.I know you have vids of the 370z.

HK350 Z 07-08-2013 09:19 AM

Glad you guys are paying attention,maybe next time I do anything to the Z I wont post anything since there are TONS of thread on this clutch.:rolleyes:

After driving more yesterday and some this morning for work , you can definitely hear the chatter under 2K rpms,AC on or off,and it is louder with the AC running when your under 2K rpms.It is not always there,but just something to keep in mind.

I am at 340 miles of the break in, shifts are crisp and I have started taking it up to 3K rpms here and there.Seems to be holding fine so far, no pedal issues after 2 days of 5 hour non-stop driving in stop and go city traffic.

Should be done with break in tomorrow on my way home from work.

lgunnz 07-08-2013 09:40 AM

Clutch chatter isn't going to change. I've put about 1000 miles on mine since installing that clutch and it hasn't gotten better or worse. I just live with it.

Chi-TownWarrior 07-08-2013 09:44 AM

Are you using the standard SB flywheel? or are you using the lighter "Race" version?

Bmurray350z 07-08-2013 09:45 AM

this will be the clutch i go with more than likely... in for updates

Doc_Z 07-08-2013 11:13 AM

How do you fnd the engine response with the light fly?

HK350 Z 07-08-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lgunnz (Post 10165715)
Clutch chatter isn't going to change. I've put about 1000 miles on mine since installing that clutch and it hasn't gotten better or worse. I just live with it.

Good to know, thank you.:icon38:

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior (Post 10165717)
Are you using the standard SB flywheel? or are you using the lighter "Race" version?

Race version 19 lbs.

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 10165718)
this will be the clutch i go with more than likely... in for updates

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by Doc_Z (Post 10165781)
How do you fnd the engine response with the light fly?

Cant really tell yet,I will update further after break in and I get a full day commute with some WOT runs.I am at 390 miles now.

67ZNISMO 07-08-2013 03:39 PM

Thanks for posting this...been eyeing this clutch for a while now. Interested on pedal feel and the initial bite after break-in

HK350 Z 07-08-2013 08:08 PM

Break in is almost over, pedal feel more like if you got your Z new, nothimg crazy.Negotiating through engaging first seems a lot easier as far as release point.Bite seems pretty good so far, new rear tires next month are a MUST! :)

HK350 Z 07-09-2013 06:03 PM

Hit 500 miles today,hit 4K on a couple of shifts, and she is holding steady.I will get to romp on it a little more tomorrow during my commute.I cant really say that the light flywheel is a huge difference,but it is noticeable rev wise.So far I am happy with the purchase and upgrades.

HK350 Z 07-10-2013 09:03 AM

Commuted to work this morning and was able to get on it here and there,what a difference the flywheel makes.A few things I noticed is that power is instant now,especially once above 2000 rpms.

Release and engangement is very smooth all around, clutch engagment pedal wise is up high like stock.I love the way first starts out now, very smooth without any bracket.Driving with the AC on is better to as I always had trouble keeping shifts smooth when the AC is on.Now its like butter ,especially first gear in either scenario.

Chatter is still minimal and I am getting used to it when it does occur.Power delivery seems a lot different and broader than factory when getting on it a bit.I touched triple digits for the first time in 2 weeks and the pull through 4,5, and 6 was flawless and no slipping under hard acceleration.

Pedal drop issue has not followed,and in Central Texas we have had 100+ degrees days for the last week,no issues.

No mushy feelings in the pedal and no slight "pop" when you release the clutch pedal.

If you are eyeing this clutch kit or the whole performance kit, it is definitely a nice step up from the stock set up, minimal noise and not going overkill on a stock Z.I will update again at 5K,10K,and 15K.

My shop noted that the materials were top notch in the kit and they expect this set up to last another 100-125K miles.:)

twizted91gt 07-14-2013 10:01 AM

Did you also do the zspeed HD CSC with that clutch? Or did you stay with a new oem CSC? New oem clutch master or wildwood? Just trying to get an idea of your complete setup as im ordering my southbend kit this week.

Chi-TownWarrior 07-15-2013 09:44 AM

This is good. Now if I could just make up my mind on what clutch I want..

HK350 Z 07-15-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by twizted91gt (Post 10170669)
Did you also do the zspeed HD CSC with that clutch? Or did you stay with a new oem CSC? New oem clutch master or wildwood?

I ordered the full Stage 2 kit,Zspeed HD CSC and Willwood Master,SS clutch lines,Motul Fluids and the South Bend Clutch/FW.

2004Black350z 07-15-2013 03:49 PM

Motul fluid is the secret ingredient. Joe is awesome got all my trans stuff including fluid from him

HK350 Z 07-26-2013 04:09 PM

UPDATE: Probably about 1200-1300 miles into the clutch,first and reverse still giving me issues on cold starts especially getting into gear.Took me a couple of minutes trying to find ANY gear to get into.Swang by my shop and we suspect the pilot bushing was reused and will be talking with the install tech on Monday as everything came with the kit that was needed.

Other than the cold issue, no other issues to report.We checked for leaks and found none (I did this visually as the car was on the lift with another tech),no issues with pedal pressure and it is adjusted correctly.

I will know more on Monday folks.

HK350 Z 07-29-2013 02:57 PM

Swapped tranny fluids to Redline...we shall see in the AM. Flywheel is actually more quiet with the Redline vs Motul.

Chi-TownWarrior 07-29-2013 04:22 PM

Thanks for the updates. I plan to do this same thing after I pick up a new daily driver.

HK350 Z 07-30-2013 06:05 AM

It appears that the Redline fluid allowed me to get into first with no trouble this morning.I let the car warm up about 4-6 minutes as usual this morning,no trouble getting into first or reverse.No problems on the commute into work.

Not sure why my tranny did not like the Motul, but its like night and day.Some people noted notchy shifting with the Redline,but I dont feel any notchiness.The true test will come on the commute home in 100 degree temps with some stop and go traffic, want to see if shifting feels any different in hooooot conditions.

I was VERY skeptical that is was the fluid, until I googled Motul and Hard to Shift and saw some other car forums reporting the same issue on a daily driver.Motul may be GREAT for track/race use but not for my daily Z...

Other than that no issues to report, I am a happy camper.Shout out to Zspeed for the help and parts.

Doc_Z 08-13-2013 12:17 PM

How's the redline fluid holding up?

I'm about to change my fluid. The climate here is also hot so I'm thinking based on your experience I need redline instead of Motul. Pity cause its much more pricey.