Notices
VQ37HVR Mods and Support related to the 2009+ VHR engine

370z (how mod friendly?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 AM
SBG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370z (how mod friendly?)

I really like the looks of the 370z. I've been scratching my head trying to decide between the new Camaro SS and the 370z. I know the Camaro SS will have an advantage when racing in a straight line (1/4 mile) and be more mod friendly (LS3 motor).
But the 370z will make a better track car (road course) easily out handling the new Camaro. The 370z also isn't made by a company asking the Govt. for 25 billion dollars. So I'm really not excited about buying a GM product.

If I get the 370z, I'll want to modify it to run mid 12s @ 111 mph (on average)

So my question is how mod friendly will the 370z be? I'm coming from a V8 background (LT1, LS1, LS2). I've always been told 350z aren't very mod friendly. Is that really the case? And what mods would I need to bring a 370z up to about 400hp or so? That's probably what a 370z will need (hp wise) to run mid 12s (consistantly).
Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Newb question!!!! The 370z isn't out to the public yet won't you wait to see how the mod potential is when they start modding it.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the G37 forums.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
SBG

Originally Posted by marques1
Newb question!!!! The 370z isn't out to the public yet won't you wait to see how the mod potential is when they start modding it.

The Camaro isn't out yet but I know about its mod potential. The LSX series motors repond extremely well to basic mods (heads/cam,bolt ons). The same motor (LS3) is currently being used in the C6 Vette. So even though the car isn't out yet, I know about its mod potential.

I was assuming the same can be said of the 370Z (VQ37HR 3.7 V6). The car doesn't have to be out yet to discuss the mod potential of the motor.

So please put away your Newb!!! responses.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:58 PM
SBG

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Check the G37 forums.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the G37 using the same motor.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by SBG
The Camaro isn't out yet but I know about its mod potential. The LSX series motors repond extremely well to basic mods (heads/cam,bolt ons). The same motor (LS3) is currently being used in the C6 Vette. So even though the car isn't out yet, I know about its mod potential.

I was assuming the same can be said of the 370Z (VQ37HR 3.7 V6). The car doesn't have to be out yet to discuss the mod potential of the motor.

So please put away your Newb!!! responses.
Newb,

go to the G37 forums. They are the ones with the most experience with the 3.7L motor.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by SBG
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the G37 using the same motor.
I think Forged put a turbo kit on a G37, Sharif seemed to like how the motor responded. There is some info on here about that car.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:08 PM
SBG

Newb,

go to the G37 forums. They are the ones with the most experience with the 3.7L motor.

You must make a lot of new friends and still be in high school.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by SBG
You must make a lot of new friends and still be in high school.
I'm a 30 year old nuclear engineer.

You?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 PM
supergoji

they are looking to make 600rwhp on the stock block.
the $8,000 turbo kit is capable of this. i think somone got up to the 560's or somthing. playing around with the vvel should produce more gains and more torque lol.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 PM
SBG

I'm a 30 year old nuclear engineer.

You?

Then what's with the Newb stuff?
Why can't people just help you out or point you in the right direction without resorting to the Newb stuff? Or is that just the way this forum works?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by SBG
Then what's with the Newb stuff?
My post was a joke in response to your post to marques1. Plus you're aren't familiar to the regulars hence "newb"

Originally Posted by SBG
Why can't people just help you out or point you in the right direction without resorting to the Newb stuff?
The forum used to be that way when I first became a member. Then we started getting several post per week on "What's the best exhaust?", or "What CAI should I get?". Sure you could answer those questions but it gets really old, really fast. No one wants to search anymore.

Not that your question has necessarily been covered over and over... but your best bet is on the G37 forums like I said. the car has been out for a while now so they have the most experience with bolt ons. Previous gen Z's do not respond well to bolts on's in terms of $/gains.

Originally Posted by SBG
Or is that just the way this forum works?
We're all kinda jaded I suppose. Too many damn teens on here makes us old folks trigger happy.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to this dude for being brutaly honest....^^
ive herd the 3.7 in the 370 should have stonger internals. That was the problem with the 350z as far as complications moding. Rumors have been told to me that the 370 should be in the 500 range without having to swap internals. Hes right though until its out noone can tell you whats going to come out of that engine.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by quietkilla6
Thanks to this dude for being brutaly honest....^^
Honesty is the best policy.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
SBG

My post was a joke in response to your post to marques1. Plus you're aren't familiar to the regulars hence "newb"

The forum used to be that way when I first became a member. Then we started getting several post per week on "What's the best exhaust?", or "What CAI should I get?". Sure you could answer those questions but it gets really old, really fast. No one wants to search anymore.

Not that your question has necessarily been covered over and over... but your best bet is on the G37 forums like I said. the car has been out for a while now so they have the most experience with bolt ons. Previous gen Z's do not respond well to bolts on's in terms of $/gains.

We're all kinda jaded I suppose. Too many damn teens on here makes us old folks trigger happy.

No biggy.
I'm sure it gets pretty annoying at times dealing with questions that have been answered over and over again. I guess I am a newb when it comes to 350z's.
I'm also and old fart (in the eyes of the kids - 40s).
And your job must be pretty interesting.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by SBG
And your job must be pretty interesting.
It has its moments. I'm in radiation protection.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Zstealth

you guys must hate teens this days.hmm i know ill hate them when i reach your age.hehe like kids this days.hahahaha
Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by Zstealth
you guys must hate teens this days.hmm i know ill hate them when i reach your age.hehe like kids this days.hahahaha
The older I get the dumber they seem.

I think there's something in the water that is preventing their brains from maturing.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM
phorvic

im in the same boat, cant make my mind up between the z or waiting for the ss camaro, only test drives will tell, camaro comes out in spring, more time to save for a bigger down. moneywise the ss has more power potential, displacement always wins. my 04 zo6 was dynoed at 560 to the wheels, n/a power. and i didnt have to spend 8000$.

jus my 0.02
Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by phorvic
im in the same boat, cant make my mind up between the z or waiting for the ss camaro, only test drives will tell, camaro comes out in spring, more time to save for a bigger down. moneywise the ss has more power potential, displacement always wins. my 04 zo6 was dynoed at 560 to the wheels, n/a power. and i didnt have to spend 8000$.

jus my 0.02
The weight is a big downer IMO for the camaro as sexy as it looks... But yeah if you're looking for the biggest return in gains with bolt ons the VQ is not the way to go.

Quick Reply: 370z (how mod friendly?)