Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
hkman78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
I think Volk GT-S are the toughest wheels ever to keep nice. The massive lip on the +17, +18 just seems to be so prone to clear scratches etc. Any other GT-S owners care to comment?
I concur!!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 AM
r3zon8

+1 ^ gt-s are very prone to scratches

+100 on NOT letting water dry on wheels, will leave small stains that take plenty of work to remove.

gotta get some quick detailing spray for my sunday morning wash ritual.

Last edited by r3zon8; 09-01-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
THE ROADSTER

Thanks Andy, Meguiar's Quick Detailer is aswsome
Old 09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree 99%

except for one thing:

DO NOT treat them just like the paint on your car.

They are FAR more delicate than your car's paint. Your car's paint can stand up to most cleaners just fine, but your wheels CANNOT.

ONLY use soap and water to CLEAN your Rays Wheels.

ONLY ONLY ONLY means ONLY ONLY ONLY Soap and water.

To shine them up, use wheel wax, meguiar's quick detailer, zaino Z6, zaino Z8, zaino Z2.

The car wash used what they called "windex" on my wheels to *** them up, but trust me, it was not windex. It was some concentrated stuff that had been diluted. In any case, keep glass cleaner THE HELL AWAY from your rays.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I agree 99%

except for one thing:

DO NOT treat them just like the paint on your car.

They are FAR more delicate than your car's paint. Your car's paint can stand up to most cleaners just fine, but your wheels CANNOT.

ONLY use soap and water to CLEAN your Rays Wheels.

ONLY ONLY ONLY means ONLY ONLY ONLY Soap and water.

To shine them up, use wheel wax, meguiar's quick detailer, zaino Z6, zaino Z8, zaino Z2.

The car wash used what they called "windex" on my wheels to *** them up, but trust me, it was not windex. It was some concentrated stuff that had been diluted. In any case, keep glass cleaner THE HELL AWAY from your rays.
Soap and water are not the only products that should be used to clean your Rays wheels, there are many wheel cleaners that are safe for anodizing which I have used to get deep down brake dust in the edges and nooks of wheels before. Meg's multipiece wheel cleaner, P21s wheel cleaner gel, and eagle1 all wheel cleaner come to mind for anodizing safe wheel cleaners. All of which will remove brake dust that soap and water just won't touch. A good claybar and lots of lup are also very useful for removing road contamination and tar from the wheels which soap and water also won't remove.

BTW: whats the pH of windex(ammonia) anyways, its not that strong but it certainly can damage wheels. (Hint: sodium hydroxide is used to strip anodizing from from finishes)
Old 09-12-2007, 03:33 PM
THE ROADSTER

the problem is not the aluminum...........it's the clear coat.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about polishing up the Machined lips on the LE37? This is a great thread by the way!!

There are a couple little tiny scratches hard to see on the lip....
Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
What about polishing up the Machined lips on the LE37? This is a great thread by the way!!

There are a couple little tiny scratches hard to see on the lip....
The polished lips on the LE's are much easier to deal with because they are paint or powdercoated clear as opposed to the anodizing on the multipiece wheels. That means they can be treated like automotive paint finishes and can be polished with by hand or machine with a mild compound. Try some Meg's Scratch-X by hand first
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
The polished lips on the LE's are much easier to deal with because they are paint or powdercoated clear as opposed to the anodizing on the multipiece wheels. That means they can be treated like automotive paint finishes and can be polished with by hand or machine with a mild compound. Try some Meg's Scratch-X by hand first

Thanks, I will give it a try. Appreciate the input.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Z_crazy

thanks for the tip! ill be getting mine in today or tomarrow!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
THE ROADSTER

Well!!! I used Meguiar wax on the Volks GTS lips and they look very good to me. Hopefully I din't screw them up.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna slap on my te37's next week. anyone know if its a good idea to wax the barrel before i put them on the car? I think ive heard of people doing this, makes it easier to clean the gunk on the barrel?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Andy.... It John... I'm the one that ordered the Cusco LSD and rear fd gear from you and the Volk GT-S from eddie...... I was wondering what the chemicals do to them that they put down when it snows in the winter????? I'm planning on putting my stock wheels back on soon but we just got our first snow here.... and they got salt and calcium chloride or w/e its called on them???
Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 AM
zosomoso

Originally Posted by Blck350z
Hey Andy.... It John... I'm the one that ordered the Cusco LSD and rear fd gear from you and the Volk GT-S from eddie...... I was wondering what the chemicals do to them that they put down when it snows in the winter????? I'm planning on putting my stock wheels back on soon but we just got our first snow here.... and they got salt and calcium chloride or w/e its called on them???
I was wondering about this myself. they salted the roads about two weeks ago and it has rained pretty hard the past two days. i havent removed my wheels yet, (and havent driven my car in more than two weeks) but i was wondering, for the time being, whether it would be safe to drive on the roads before i finally take the wheels off for the winter.

thanks.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 AM
BILLYhoang

wow . thanks for the advice !
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up. I was using the Meguires quick detailer for a long time even if my wheels weren't Volk. I was hesitant before to use it, but after reading this thread, I just knew it would be right to clean my rims this way.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:32 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

a body shop messed up my Volk GTS recently when they washed my car after some work. Appears to have stripped some of the clear coat off of the wheels. They claim they can polish them back to kook as good or better than original. Has anybody had their lips repolished? Pros/Cons?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
a body shop messed up my Volk GTS recently when they washed my car after some work. Appears to have stripped some of the clear coat off of the wheels. They claim they can polish them back to kook as good or better than original. Has anybody had their lips repolished? Pros/Cons?
Pros. You wheels will look good again.
Cons. You'll forever be polishing them to keep them that way. You no longer have the clear coat so there a ***** to maintain.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 AM
AbsolutSpeedZ

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
I think Volk GT-S are the toughest wheels ever to keep nice. The massive lip on the +17, +18 just seems to be so prone to clear scratches etc. Any other GT-S owners care to comment?
I hear ya, I have GT-S's with +17 and +18 and mine do have some scratches. I think I have some dirt in the clear coat, like stains, but I'm not sure and I'm looking for the best stuff to clean these lips with, any ideas?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM
jeremyg35

the volk/rays stickers are very easy to damage with a pressure washer as well...anybody have a source for replacement stickers?

Quick Reply: How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!