Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tw8715
i picked up some meguairs ULTIMATE quick detailer..

is it okay to use it on the te37? alot of people said they use the regular quick detailers from maguiars but is the ultimate version cool too?
as long as there is wax on the wheels. if theres no wax i might not wanna do it. unless the wheel is clearcoated...i dunno if te37 are... might depend on the finish.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
ParanoidAndroid

I just bought some used LE37s and was wondering, what do you guys use to polish out the lips on these wheels? I dont mean a ruff polishing with a buffer. Like on my old wheels i used to use neverdull in a can. What stuff do you guys recommend using on these wheels?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 PM
StlMikeD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the lip being anodized, you won't ever be able to "polish" them as much as clean them really well.

I've been using a cleanser made for anodized pots and pans called "Bon Ami" that doesn't scratch them at all and removes water spots, hazing, old brake dust, tar, etc, really really well.

If I feel really OCD, I've got a boars hair detail brush that has the bristles cut a little shorter to get into the spaces where the pieces come together and any other tight spot.
After that I'll rinse like crazy. Clay Bar with quick detailer and then a good wax.
Attached Thumbnails How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1011.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1012.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1013.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1014.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1015.jpg  

Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
StlMikeD

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1016.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1017.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1019.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1020.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1021.jpg  

Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
StlMikeD

Last couple pics
Attached Thumbnails How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1022.jpg   How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!-img_1023.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM
ParanoidAndroid

My wheels are a monoblock and aren't a seperate barrel like ur wheels, still safe for my lips?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
StlMikeD

Since the finish on yours is an all anodized finish, I would think so. As you always see on the label, test in an inconspicuous area first.

The "Bon Ami" cleanser is made for anodized pot and pans, which is a more similar finish to your wheels than mine. I scrub the he11 out of my high end pans with it and it doesn't leave any marks. It just pulls all the garbage out of the finish. The stuff is cheap too. Find it at your higher end grocery store, resurant supply or a place like William Sonoma/ Sur La Table.

Let me know how it works.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:28 PM
ParanoidAndroid

I don't know of any high end grocery stores...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
stradaONE8

I use P21s wheel gel on my OEM rays, high-end detailers use this on pretty much every wheel ever. Strong stuff, NOT acidic. That is crucial. Anything that is strongly acidic or basic will eventually chew through your finish. No matter what a detailer says about the stuff they use, if you see acidic wash, SAY NO. Get your P21 and spray...let it sit and it will get damn near any brake dust off without so much as any agitation.

If I have a stubborn stain, just let it sit an extra while and use a soft sponge to work off the dust. After that as people have said, clay and wax. And if you honestly want to 'maintain' your Rays, mount them on your wall and not your car.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
StlMikeD

Here ya go ParanoidAndroid.

Make sure to pick Bon Ami Cleanser out of the drop down

Looks like Kroger carries it. It's about $1.99 a can.

Keep in mind that the OEM Ray's wheels are painted and clear coated. This is completely different from what you have. As with anything, especially on the anodized aftermarket Volks, test anything you use in an inconspicuous area to make sure you don't get any white crust or rainbow hazing first.

Last edited by StlMikeD; 08-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohSIXz
as long as there is wax on the wheels. if theres no wax i might not wanna do it. unless the wheel is clearcoated...i dunno if te37 are... might depend on the finish.
? How is the ultimate quick detailer different than the regular quick detailer to make you hesitant about using it to finish off volk wheels?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 AM
StlMikeD

I've regularly used many different quick detailers on my Volks. I've never had an issue with any of them.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Mirko350z

Hello' I have Volk GT-S Mercury Silver on my 350z. I want to clean and shine my lip because there are water spots, some little scratches and brakes dust (like the pics on top by StlMikeD). I buy Meguiar's Hot Rims Mag & Aluminium, is correct for GT-S? Anyone try it on GT-S?

Thanks
Mirko from Italy

Last edited by Mirko350z; 09-26-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
StlMikeD

Mirko,

The Mag and Aluminum Polish will not help because you do not have bare metal. The lip actually has a clear anodized finish which is extremely hard. Your best bet is to find some sort of cleaner made for high end anodized aluminum pots and pans. (I wouldn't know the Italian brands, sorry) You will most likely not get the scratches out but it will remove the water spots. Please let me know how it works out.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Jes-Z

hey guys,

I used the bon ami stuff and it worked great. I have Volk GT-S' in Merc Silver. Very clean looking wheels now.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
jonnylaw

Is it safe to use Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant on Volk Ce28n's (powdercoated light clear coat)--in matte gunmetal finish?:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...etdiallme.html

or autoglym super resin polish:

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...suprespol.html

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-27-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 AM
StlMikeD

Jonny Law:

The sealant should be good. I don't think the polish would hurt but I also don't think it will accomplish anything as you aren't dealing with paint or bare metal. An anodized finish is something different all together.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Mirko350z

Originally Posted by StlMikeD
Mirko,

The Mag and Aluminum Polish will not help because you do not have bare metal. The lip actually has a clear anodized finish which is extremely hard. Your best bet is to find some sort of cleaner made for high end anodized aluminum pots and pans. (I wouldn't know the Italian brands, sorry) You will most likely not get the scratches out but it will remove the water spots. Please let me know how it works out.
I have find this products for anodized aluminium, can it work?

http://www.autosol.de/cgibin/dc-shop...esc=Metal_Care
Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
StlMikeD

I wouldn't think so.

The label does not say that it works for Anodized AL. The fact that it states "leaving a long lasting protective coating from tarnishing" leads me to believe that it is meant for bare metal which your wheels are not.

This is what I recommend and have had other people second.

http://www.bonami.com/products/

I don't know if you can find it in Italia but I'd try. It works like a champ and is very inexpensive.

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by StlMikeD
Jonny Law:

The sealant should be good. I don't think the polish would hurt but I also don't think it will accomplish anything as you aren't dealing with paint or bare metal. An anodized finish is something different all together.
Ok. Thank you for advice. On a slighly different note, would an all titanium exhaust (like Amuse) be considered a bare metal, or an anodized finish?

Thx!

Quick Reply: How To Maintain Your RAYS Wheels!