Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
Hey guys, I am looking to order some spacers this week, so I had a question about the hubcentric rings (before I saw this thread) so I gave CZP a call. They said that although the Project Kics rings will fit on the CZP spacers, that with stock wheels, I do not need the rings. Then I came on here and did a search, found this thread, and see that people in here are running the hub-centric rings with their stock wheels.

I don't know why CZP would tell me that you don't need them because I'm ordering from them anyway (had many good experiences with CZP parts in the past), and would have also ordered the rings from them if they told me I needed them. Which is it??

Any downside to running them without rings? Does anybody on here have spacers without them, any bad experiences? I'm confused now because I know CZP knows their stuff..

ok, im gonna try to explain this best i can in lay mens terms...

biggest issue IMHO is installation:

here goes - when installing a oem wheel onto a spacer WITH hub rings the wheel is centered ON THE MONEY due to the wheel fitting pretty snuggly on the hub rings........

So...you can install the lug nuts, and tighten down and know your centered!

done...

NOW,

- when installing a oem wheel onto a spacer WITHOUT hub rings you then MUST slightly tighten two or more lug nuts in order to get the WHEEL centered with out over tightening........

it is possible for the TAPERED lug nut to not slide into the tapered hole of the wheel and cause for a not centered misaligned wheel.......

i have seen people do this.......ususally they do it cause the put the wheel up on to the car, use an IMPACT GUN, and BAMM go full force and then tighten only one nut, then when they go to the second lug nut they are off, sometimes if the first isnt that tight, the second lug nut install will PULL the wheel center as the taper on the lug nut will WORK this time..

then they go around tightening all the other lug nuts and when they get back to the first one they installed it turns more times, as if it were loose, and its "surprising to them" lol......oh man.....

get what im saying....

so NO, you don't NEED THEM...but you must be careful to install your wheels centered and properly..

-J

EDIT - 10/8/09 7:12AM -

SAME PREMISE APPLIES - when installing spacers with out hub rings to the Z hub, if there are no hub rings or the center hole of the spacer isnt slip fitting snuggly on the z hub, then you must all be careful when installing the spacer to the Z hub.....if not aligned centered, vibrations can occur...

people think, why would the lug not not slip on the taper in the spacer...
Remember the lug nuts are a harder material over the soft aluminum spacers...Ive seen the tapers in spacers eaten up or beaten up out of shape...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-08-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by stinky350z
hi guys , i have a question so if i have aftermarket wheels i dont need to run hubcentric rings, i have ssr sp1 19x10.5 offset 24 , 88mm , thank u so much
well, read the post above, you dont need hubcentric rings at all on ANY wheel......

but if you do decide to get hub centric rings you must take note that your hub "hole" on your after market wheels is 88mm, stock is 66.1mm............

SOooo.: you need to get hub centric rings for your spacers that are 88mm on the outside dimension?

get it???

Remember, the Z oem hub is 66.1 outer diameter and the Z oem wheels - hole is 66.1mm thus making a perfect fit for oem wheels on the hubs by design of Nissan?

Now you sir just purchased 88mm hub hole after market wheels..........sure the bolt pattern matches up and they will go on your car, but as for hubcentric rings, if you choose to buy some, you need to get some that mate with your spacers and your 88mm wheel hub hole..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-08-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM
stinky350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks jayson
Old 06-06-2009, 05:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

no problem..........

-J
Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 AM
o2sys

has anyone hit the tracks after installing 20mm+ spacers? I use them for daily driving but i know track conditions are much harder on the car. Going for my first track day at Poconos soon...
Old 06-06-2009, 08:38 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by o2sys
has anyone hit the tracks after installing 20mm+ spacers? I use them for daily driving but i know track conditions are much harder on the car. Going for my first track day at Poconos soon...
I have gone to multiple autoX and Drift events. at drift events im constantly removing wheels and sometimes removing spacers and wheels in order to put different wheels on that dont require spacers......etc........over and over....

i run my tires at times till they POP, sometimes damaging/bending the rims.....RPMS are up.....etc...

drifting is very hard on the car, and installed/mounted right, spacers will be just fine!

install correctly and torque to spec and rock on...

-J
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to add more questions to this thread but i HOPE it hasnt been answered.
I pretty much got all my questions answered about spacers except this one:

I have aftermarket wheels that have a bore of 73. And naturally, I am running hub rings (inner 66.1, outer 73) for them. Now I plan on running Project Kics spacers and im gonna order some hub rings for the spacers too.

Is it dumb to get a 66.1 spacer-hub ring and run my original hub rings over them? or should i get t a 66.1 --> 73 spacer-hub ring and take off my hub rings that are on my wheels? (so the wheels mount directly onto the spacer-hubrings)

Is it preferrable to run option a or b? or am i good either way?

Thanks in advance, you're doing your country a great service!

Last edited by vispre; 06-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

option b...........its best to get the 66.1 to 73 conversion hubring.......this type of hubring that fits both the spacer and the wheel to the car is usually a big hubring that slides complete depth of the spacer and has the lip of 73 for the wheel.....thats your best bet......

the ones im talking about look similar to the ones shown here:
https://my350z.com/forum/attachments...read-ichi2.jpg

they are the same thickness of the spacer and the wheel matting lip is now protruding for the wheel to sit on........just get some like that which for your app are 66.1 to 73.

The fewer the better.......with more than one, im sure the tolerance difference would cause for misalignment.......ive seen some that fit snug, and ive seen some that fall out easily.....so i would say the fewer the better.....

plus, who wants to deal with more than one.......

-J
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
option b...........its best to get the 66.1 to 73 conversion hubring.......this type of hubring that fits both the spacer and the wheel to the car is usually a big hubring that slides complete depth of the spacer and has the lip of 73 for the wheel.....thats your best bet......

the ones im talking about look similar to the ones shown here:
https://my350z.com/forum/attachments...read-ichi2.jpg

they are the same thickness of the spacer and the wheel matting lip is now protruding for the wheel to sit on........just get some like that which for your app are 66.1 to 73.

The fewer the better.......with more than one, im sure the tolerance difference would cause for misalignment.......ive seen some that fit snug, and ive seen some that fall out easily.....so i would say the fewer the better.....

plus, who wants to deal with more than one.......

-J
Awesome, thanks for clearing it up. Hopefully i can get some of those hubrings you mentioned. So far i've only been able to find the hub rings that are one size all the way thru: http://www.worksconcepts.com/kics_pr...g/g-51729.aspx
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
chrisjersey06

ok, im gonna try to explain this best i can in lay mens terms...

biggest issue IMHO is installation:

here goes - when installing a oem wheel onto a spacer WITH hub rings the wheel is centered ON THE MONEY due to the wheel fitting pretty snuggly on the hub rings........

So...you can install the lug nuts, and tighten down and know your centered!

done...

NOW,

- when installing a oem wheel onto a spacer WITHOUT hub rings you then MUST slightly tighten two or more lug nuts in order to get the WHEEL centered with out over tightening........

it is possible for the TAPERED lug nut to not slide into the tapered hole of the wheel and cause for a not centered misaligned wheel.......

i have seen people do this.......ususally they do it cause the put the wheel up on to the car, use an IMPACT GUN, and BAMM go full force and then tighten only one nut, then when they go to the second lug nut they are off, sometimes if the first isnt that tight, the second lug nut install will PULL the wheel center as the taper on the lug nut will WORK this time..

then they go around tightening all the other lug nuts and when they get back to the first one they installed it turns more times, as if it were loose, and its "surprising to them" lol......oh man.....

get what im saying....

so NO, you don't NEED THEM...but you must be careful to install your wheels centered and properly..

-J

Thanks Jason, your reply was very informative and helped a lot.

Here's my contribution to the thread:

Car has no drop, stock 18" wheels, and stock tire sizes. This is with Concept Z Spacers in 30mm rear, 25mm front. I'm very happy with the look.

Name:  005-29.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  119.6 KB

Name:  008-21.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  006-24.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  007-28.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  96.6 KB
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

very nice.......im a fan of 25/30 set up....

-J
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
prstriker04

great write up bro. its definitely informative.
My sp1's offset are not the greatest so i need to stick em out a little. Dropped on gf210's most likely will do a 3/4 inch springmount mod drop so im sure its going to put negative camber. I think with a 30 offset wheel. 20-25mm spacers would be good. BTW ill be doing a stretched tire as wheel.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

thanks, appreciate it...

sounds like 20-25mm would be about right.......once you have them installed/done, post those pics........

-J
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM
prstriker04

will do sir.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
prstriker04

got them tonight will install tomorrow or sunday cant wait =0
Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

cool.....sounds good......show us the pics..
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
prstriker04

cool.....sounds good......show us the pics..
i kinda sorta got lazy this weekend. Ate about 3 lbs of blue crabs and it made me sleepy lmao will try sometime this week for sure
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Darkness75

Default spacers 20mm front 25mm back

Hi all , i have just installed wheel spacers on my 350Z stock rims.
here is befor
FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!-b4-back2.jpg
FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!-b4-front1.jpg

After
FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!-back2.jpg
FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!-front3.jpg
FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!-sideshoot1.jpg

hope that can help
p.s: lowering the car is coming ...when they finish fixing the streets in my area
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

VERY NICE......thanks for the addition...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkness75
Hi all , i have just installed wheel spacers on my 350Z stock rims.
here is befor
Attachment 246986
Attachment 246987

After
Attachment 246988
Attachment 246989
Attachment 246990

hope that can help
p.s: lowering the car is coming ...when they finish fixing the streets in my area

what size spacers do you have?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAQ: Official wheel "SPACER" thread!