MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   what u think bout tire stretching? (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/472976-what-u-think-bout-tire-stretching.html)

whoisthis 01-27-2010 02:11 PM

what u think bout tire stretching?

i was thinking of how i should buy tires with less money.
i have 19inches rims with low profile that costed me alot. Costs me often b/c of the bad wheel alignment.
So i thought i could get tires cheap and stretch them to make them fit.smaller tires= cheap.

how much can i save from stretching tires? awk..
Is it really necesary to have stretched tires when drifting? Can't u just overinflate the tires?
How much does it normally cost to strech tires?

thx

Nexx 01-27-2010 02:13 PM

:thumbdn:

VO... 01-27-2010 02:16 PM

Moved...

Z1 Performance 01-27-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by whoisthis (Post 8097579)
i was thinking of how i should buy tires with less money.
i have 19inches rims with low profile that costed me alot. Costs me often b/c of the bad wheel alignment.
So i thought i could get tires cheap and stretch them to make them fit.smaller tires= cheap.

how much can i save from stretching tires? awk..
Is it really necesary to have stretched tires when drifting? Can't u just overinflate the tires?
How much does it normally cost to strech tires?

thx

what's cheaper, less tire cost upfront, or potentially buying a new wheel?

what is overinflating the tire going to do? Give you even worse handling, worse ride quality

if you are into how a stretched tire looks - by all means, go for it. To do it as a cost cutting measure is about as backwards thinking as it gets though IMHO. Tire costs vary more when you go up in diameter..width generally does not have a huge affect on cost

Jeff92se 01-27-2010 02:25 PM

Fix your alignment (and your grammar) and then buy some proper tires. Result will be a better handling car that has good tire life.

dubi2087 01-27-2010 02:28 PM

OK, First smaller tire are not always cheaper. If you want cheaper tires you should go to 18" Wheels. 19" wheels will always be expensive. They are considered an odd size. As far as getting smaller tires and stretching them hoping that they will be less expensive is dumb, (not saying you are dumb) just the thought is. You would be better off getting a no name brand tire and putting the correct size on. I have a lot of customers that think this. If anything get some used tires and run them until you can get the tires you want.

David

whoisthis 01-27-2010 02:36 PM

if you are into how a stretched tire looks - by all means, go for it. To do it as a cost cutting measure is about as backwards thinking as it gets though IMHO. Tire costs vary more when you go up in diameter..width generally does not have a huge affect on cost[/QUOTE]

oh u dun stretch the diameter? only width?

Z1 Performance 01-27-2010 02:37 PM

you could be the first to do a diameter stretch - I've never seen it done before

whoisthis 01-27-2010 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by dubi2087 (Post 8097617)
OK, First smaller tire are not always cheaper. If you want cheaper tires you should go to 18" Wheels. 19" wheels will always be expensive. They are considered an odd size. As far as getting smaller tires and stretching them hoping that they will be less expensive is dumb, (not saying you are dumb) just the thought is. You would be better off getting a no name brand tire and putting the correct size on. I have a lot of customers that think this. If anything get some used tires and run them until you can get the tires you want.

David

stretched tires really nessary when drifting?

Lee R 01-27-2010 02:38 PM

There is already a HUGE thread devoted to this.....

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...s-welcome.html

dchengmd 01-27-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by whoisthis (Post 8097633)

Are you serious? Stretch the diameter? Like putting a 18" tire on a 19" wheel? Good luck. I'd like to see that.

Not only is that most likely impossible, but even if you could do it, it would be incredibly unsafe. Don't cut corners when it comes to wheels and tires. If you can't afford the right tires for your car, you have the wrong wheels or the wrong car.

dhays 01-27-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by whoisthis (Post 8097633)

Stretching simply means to put a tire on a wheel that is narrower than the recommended minimum width for that wheel. You can't change the diameter in the tire.

What you should have done was to think about tire cost when you got your wheels. At this point, you can either buy 18" wheels and sell your 19's and save a ton on tire cost, or do some shopping for some 19" tires that aren't too expensive. There are some very good tires that aren't that expensive available provided your wheels are insanely wide.

TheFarmer 01-27-2010 03:06 PM

Just get a camber kit and correctly align your car man. If it's too low, raise it back up enough to get everything into spec.

scotts300 01-27-2010 03:12 PM

Alignment is less than $100 - cheaper than one new tire. Get it done.

Bumpinjeep 01-27-2010 03:14 PM

Youre going to put 18" tires on a 19" wheel? Why not just get wider tires in the front and narrower in the rear? Think about it, less weight in the rear, you would drift all over the place. Heres the plan
1) 245x45x18 on your front 19" wheel
2) 215x45x18 on your rear 19" wheel
3) Shave head, wear size extra medium sleeveless shirt and say "smoke em" when lined up to cars at the light.
4) Find a dark street and show em whos the Drift King!

Or you could check your local forum for people selling tires that fit properly on your wheels. Used tires with good tread are a great idea if you are strapped for cash. Why drive on unsafe tires? Think about it, the tires are the only thing connected your car to the actual road. The last thing you need are either bald or wrong sized tires. I can't think of another way to make your car unsafe. You can also trade your 19"s to some 18"s or smaller. If your local forum guys have car meets its not a bad idea to meet some people that way, you can find some good deals that way.
Good luck with search.

zete350 01-27-2010 03:14 PM

I would looooove to see someone put an 18" tire on a 19" wheel and read the story of the aftermath.

Entaille 01-27-2010 03:25 PM

if you'd like a suggestion for cheap, quality tires, vredestein sessanta's are a good choice. you need an alignment though.

if tire costs are an issue for you, consider down grading your wheel size, or consider a different car all together.

quiksilver38 01-27-2010 03:27 PM

my 300zx had stretched tires on 18's looked nice :dunno:

evets 01-27-2010 03:55 PM

Not safe! Not a good look! Not a great idea! So just Don't do it!:icon21:

red350track 01-27-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nexx (Post 8097584)
:thumbdn:

+1!!!!11one!!1