MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   Need advice asap (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/499226-need-advice-asap.html)

bslagle3 09-03-2010 08:57 AM

Need advice asap

So long story short i have a slashed tire and need to get my Z to a shop. Would it be a bad idea to put the spare donut tire on the rear with the differential? Will it heat it up too much since the tire diameters will be off? Thanks for the help

Mr. D 09-03-2010 10:28 AM

Why have a spare tire if you couldn't use it? :dunno:

SSZVirginia 09-03-2010 10:42 AM

Use the spare. Do you think it was designed for a front tire flat only?

winchman 09-03-2010 10:45 AM

I suppose you could put a good front tire on the back, and put the spare on the front.

Either way, don't drive faster than they recommend, and get the regular tire fixed as soon as you can.

JET MECH 09-03-2010 10:54 AM

I get what your asking about the VLSD potentialy being damaged, all of the above responders obviously do not. Yes i would swap out one of the fronts to the rear and put the donut spare on the front. I am assuming you have 19" or 20" wheels on your z for you to be concerned about this. If you have rims with the OEM rim diameter than it would not matter.

DavesZ#3 09-03-2010 11:27 AM

You're not supposed to drive on a spare more than 50 miles or 50mph. The owners manual doesn't say anything about VLSD problems.

bslagle3 09-03-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JET MECH (Post 8635086)
I get what your asking about the VLSD potentialy being damaged, all of the above responders obviously do not. Yes i would swap out one of the fronts to the rear and put the donut spare on the front. I am assuming you have 19" or 20" wheels on your z for you to be concerned about this. If you have rims with the OEM rim diameter than it would not matter.

Ya I've asked around to some of the Nissan dealerships and some are telling me not to use the spare on the rear and some are telling me that it's ok to use the spare only for a low speed and short distance. I currently have the 18" track wheela on it. I just ordered a set of 20" matte black Giovanna kilis that are on the way.

bslagle3 09-03-2010 11:32 AM

Thank you guys for the help... One of the Nissan service managers was telling me to not put the spare on the rear with the differential even with stock wheels. We all know that they are frequently wrong so I just wanted to double check with you guys. I only have a 15 mile drive to the shop I am taking it to.

winchman 09-03-2010 11:33 AM

Why would you assume we didn't "get it"? Maybe we did, but didn't mention it because it makes no difference as long as you follow the OM recommendations for low speed operation and getting it fixed ASAP.

JET MECH 09-03-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by winchman (Post 8635218)
Why would you assume we didn't "get it"? Maybe we did, but didn't mention it because it makes no difference as long as you follow the OM recommendations for low speed operation and getting it fixed ASAP.

You need to calm down buddy and not get your panties in a bunch.

Spike100 09-03-2010 12:44 PM

You can safely run the spare on the rear. As Dave mentions, keep the speed low. If you have TCS or VDC, turn this OFF.

--Spike
EDIT: Someone above mentioned wheel size. The wheel size does not make any difference. You can run the spare tire a short distance at lower speed on any corner of the car regardless of your wheel size (17, 18, 19, or 20).