MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   Upgraded Wheels/Tires and Feathering (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/52841-upgraded-wheels-tires-and-feathering.html)

Bertg 12-09-2003 01:41 PM

Upgraded Wheels/Tires and Feathering

For those of you that upgraded your wheels and tires from stock and are experiencing tire feathering, did the dealer perform the 'road noise' TSB? Or did they refuse to do it since the wheels/tires are no longer stock. What about tire replacements? Would they replace tires that weren's stock? I plan on upgrading my wheels and tires when my car arrives in 2 months, but all this tire feathering issue is giving me second thoughts.

lastone 12-25-2003 11:03 AM

Re: Upgraded Wheels/Tires and Feathering

Originally posted by Bertg
For those of you that upgraded your wheels and tires from stock and are experiencing tire feathering, did the dealer perform the 'road noise' TSB? Or did they refuse to do it since the wheels/tires are no longer stock. What about tire replacements? Would they replace tires that weren's stock? I plan on upgrading my wheels and tires when my car arrives in 2 months, but all this tire feathering issue is giving me second thoughts.
Just make sure those new tires have at least a 280 tread wear.

ChinaClipper 12-26-2003 05:22 AM

Re: Upgraded Wheels/Tires and Feathering

Originally posted by Bertg
I upgraded wheels and tires AFTER experiencing feathering, undergoing the TSB, and finally getting the front tires replaced. After running 6,000 miles more on the stock set up to ascertain that the feathering was gone, only then did I switch tires/wheels. Many other folks on this board experiencing feathering have run into dealer resistance for service if the wheels and tires are aftermarket. In my opinion, the feathering is such a serious problem that I heartily endorse your staying away from tire and wheel upgrades until you can be sure that the alignment and wear of your car on stock wheels and tires is good. This is what I did, and I have had no further problems after changing wheels and tires. If you change before dealing with the dealer on the feathering issue, I think you are opening yourself up to further (and unnecessary) hassle when getting correction of the problem on the car. Why make life harder on oneself?
Just my .02 cents....